Thread: Raid 1- Best way to do it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Raid 1- Best way to do it

Greetings i whish to seek guidance from any expert to learn how could i create a raid1 or any other metod that will duplicate my hard drive information into another one to savegurad the information.....

I plan to make a computer for my dad to run a LemonPOS where custumers and important database will be store but must secure the information with at least another image of the hard drive...

suggestions and comments will be appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Raid 1- Best way to do it

I'll tell you before I begin that I know nothing about RAID, but since nobody has answered yet I thought I might post this. I found this tutorial on howtoforge on how to set up Software RAID1 On A Running LVM System. It includes GRUB2 configuration. It's for Ubuntu 11.10. It looks like a pretty long process(4 pages). Again, I have no idea how to set up RAID1, so I cannot help you with any problems you run into. Here is the link: http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set...n-ubuntu-11.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Re: Raid 1- Best way to do it

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTurtle View Post
    I'll tell you before I begin that I know nothing about RAID, but since nobody has answered yet I thought I might post this. I found this tutorial on howtoforge on how to set up Software RAID1 On A Running LVM System. It includes GRUB2 configuration. It's for Ubuntu 11.10. It looks like a pretty long process(4 pages). Again, I have no idea how to set up RAID1, so I cannot help you with any problems you run into. Here is the link: http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set...n-ubuntu-11.10.
    thanks for the link i had saw it still i hope some one can mention a pci raid card or some other easier way hehehe lest cross our fingers

Beans

You can try raider utility:
    http://raider.sourceforge.net/
    This will convert your single disk to a raid system (1, 4, 5, 6 or 10).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by carreira View Post
    You can try raider utility:
    http://raider.sourceforge.net/
    This will convert your single disk to a raid system (1, 4, 5, 6 or 10).
    Great idea but i must ask you

1) had you ever use it?
    2) why the switch between hard drives ? (o_O)
    3) any thoughts about this if you used it like security risk or lack of performance?

thanks in advance

and by the way Ubuntu 12 rocks, it runs way more smooth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blackangelpr View Post

1) had you ever use it?
    Of course I used it! Actually I am developping it.

2) why the switch between hard drives ? (o_O)
    This could be automated, but it would be necessary to change bootloader config in the original disk. So, manually swapping disks is a way to maintain untouched the original disk in case something went wrong.

3) any thoughts about this if you used it like security risk or lack of performance?
    I don't think this could be a problem. Today, linux software raid is a accepted as a solid solution, unless you have enough budget to buy a hardware raid system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Re: Raid 1- Best way to do it

Quote Originally Posted by carreira View Post
    Of course I used it! Actually I am developping it.

This could be automated, but it would be necessary to change bootloader config in the original disk. So, manually swapping disks is a way to maintain untouched the original disk in case something went wrong.

I don't think this could be a problem. Today, linux software raid is a accepted as a solid solution, unless you have enough budget to buy a hardware raid system.
    Muchisimas gracias your answer convince i will use it is there is any way to keep contact so i can give you feed back if you need it for your development? this answer my question and better since there is no need to buy a raid 1 card.