Page 103 of 126 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1252

Thread: Howto make USB boot drives

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Howto make USB boot drives

@sudodus - This morning I tried several times to boot from the usb (after mkusb had made the ISO image on it), but everytime , it kept going into Kubuntu. This was despite the fact that I had 'boot from USB' as first boot priority. Then I felt to look here, and saw your post. Followed your instructions, added the Bios EXE file, rebooted, and this time the Bios menu had changed it it had boot from usb as an option on the first screen. Took that, followed your instructions, ran the Bios EXE and it has successfully done the Bios upgrade.

I tried the 'parted' command, the output is slightly diffeent to yours ..

$ LANG=C sudo parted /dev/sdb1 p
    [sudo] password for oygle:
    Model: Unknown (unknown)
    Disk /dev/sdb1: 537MB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: loop
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Flags
    1 0.00B 537MB 537MB fat16
    It is SO GOOD to have this done and it certainly was the easy way. Thank you, thank you @sudodus
    Last edited by oygle; October 18th, 2020 at 03:08 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

mkusb version 12.6.5, 12.6.6

- mkusb 12.6.5
    . dus-persistent: probe_source: usb-pack_efi auto-set for 20.10
    . mkusb-plug:
    .. mkusb-sedd: puer, puer0: Workaround reverted
    ... (bug-fix for https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1895329)
    .. srctst: Cannot to create data partition for version 20.10

- mkusb 12.6.6
    . dus-live: gpt_fix: added "-e 'Problem:'" to first grep command
    . mkusb-plug:
    .. mkusb-sedd: new functions gpt_fix, gpt_zap
    ... datp: using gpt_fix, gpt_zap (and partprobe)
    .. get_action and scrtst: no longer check to exclude 20.10

Improvement in version 12.6.5

- dus-persistent: Auto-setting to use usb-pack_efi for Ubuntu 20.10 'Groovy'

- mkusb-plug:
    . Again using the automatic creation of the ext4 partition to be used for persistence.
    . Exiting from the alternative to create a usbdata partition for Ubuntu Ubuntu 20.10 'Groovy' because it does not work. Suggesting to use mkusb-dus instead for this purpose.

Improvement in version 12.6.6

- mkusb-plug: Because of the GPT in Groovy iso files, it was necessary to fix the backup partition table at the tail end of the drive. The functins gpt_fix, gpt_zap were ported from dus-live to mkusb-sedd and upgraded in order to make it possible to create a partition behind the cloned partitions. (Excluding the action to create data partition for version 20.10 was reverted, it is possible again.) This fix works in most computers, but there are some old HP computers, that fail to boot when mkusb-plug has created a data partition for version 20.10 and Hirsuit Hippo.

- dus-live: gpt_fix upgraded to match improvement necessary in mkusb-sedd.

Unstable: You get/update this new version of mkusb from the unstable PPA via the following commands

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository universe     # this line only for standard Ubuntu

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/unstable
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb           # to install
    # sudo apt full-upgrade          # upgrade to current version (with all other upgrades), only for installed systems

sudo apt install mkusb guidus dus mkusb-common  # to upgrade all mkusb basic components including dus

sudo apt install usb-pack-efi    # for persistent live drives that work in UEFI and BIOS mode with 32-bit iso files
    You get only the version dus (alone or with guidus) via one of the following commands (if you don't care about mkusb-11, mkusb-nox, mkusb-bas)

Code:
    sudo apt install dus
    sudo apt install guidus
    You get only the version mkusb-plug via [the update command and] the following command,

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb-plug
    Alternative way to get mkusb: There are tarballs at

- help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/gui/tarball with only dus and guidus (mkusb version 12),

- help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/plug with only mkusb-plug.

Stable: mkusb version 12.6.6 is in the stable PPA. The policy is to test mkusb for a long time and in several environments before it is uploaded to the stable PPA (unless there are minor tweaks or bug-fixes).

You get/update this version via the following commands

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository universe      # this line only for standard Ubuntu

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/ppa
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb            # to install
    # sudo apt full-upgrade           # upgrade to current version (with all other upgrades), only for installed systems

sudo apt install usb-pack-efi     # for persistent live drives that work in UEFI and BIOS mode with 32-bit iso files
    You get only the version dus (alone or with guidus) via one of the following commands (if you don't care about mkusb-11, mkusb-nox, mkusb-bas)

Code:
    sudo apt install dus
    sudo apt install guidus
    You get only the version mkusb-plug via [the update command and] the following command,

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb-plug
    Usually there is drive space enough to install all the following mkusb packages explicitly:

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb guidus mkusb-plug usb-pack-efi

Please notice that if you have already installed mkusb-plug or dus/guidus from a tarball, you had better remove that version when you install via PPA. The advantage with the PPA version is that it gets updated/upgraded automatically along with other program packages that are installed from the Ubuntu repositories.
    Last edited by sudodus; November 17th, 2020 at 11:16 AM. Reason: version 12.6.6; now also in stable PPA

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I did some housecleaning of the templates in the web directory for UEFI and BIOS files,

https://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/uefi-n-bios/

and created a new md5sum file for the remaining templates,
    Code:
    grub-boot-templates-for-uefi-n-bios.md5
    The following files are there now (with some 'doublets' to allow for old links to work)

Code:
    $ls -l *templ*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 nio nio 2735732  2 jun 17.26 dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_bright-bg.img.xz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 nio nio 2768936 14 aug 16.03 dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_dark-bg.img.xz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 nio nio 2768416  4 jun 10.05 dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios.img.xz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 nio nio 2768936  2 aug 15.59 dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_new.img.xz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 nio nio 3681860  8 aug 17.18 dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_only-p1p2.img.xz
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 nio nio     721 19 aug 15.08 grub-boot-templates-for-uefi-n-bios.md5
    -rw-r--r-- 1 nio nio 3331492 11 aug 22.47 mkusb_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_fat32_4GB_use-in-wins.img.xz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 nio nio 2768936 14 aug 16.03 mkusb_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_use-in-ubuntu.img.xz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 nio nio 3681860  8 aug 17.18 mkusb_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_use-in-wins.img.xz
    if I understand correctly,. @C.S.Cameron prefers to use the following two files,
    Code:
    mkusb_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_fat32_4GB_use-in-wins.img.xz  # in Windows

dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios.img.xz  # in Ubuntu
    I think that
    Code:
    mkusb_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_use-in-ubuntu.img.xz  # in Ubuntu
    should be best in Ubuntu, because it works also with Gnome-Disks and small USB drives (>= 1 GB). But it may need some testing to check that there are no regressions for other cases.
    can i try that with vmware environment?

Beans
    Hidden!

@dezintop,

Yes, you are welcome to try it. I did some similar tests in VirtualBox (long ago) so I would think it will work, but I have never used vmware.

Please let us know how it works for you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Windows installer UEFI mode

Yesterday I was experimenting with a Windows 10 ISO on a USB msdos partition table.
    I extracted a Windows ISO to a NTFS partition on a Persistent USB made using mkusb.
    I ran "sudo update-grub" an added "ntldr /bootmgr" as a line below "chainloader +1".
    The installer ran fine in BIOS mode.
    I tried the same think on a gpt partition table but it would not run in BIOS mode.
    It did run on a UEFI mode computer.
    I tried it again after removing the Windows menuentry from grub.cfg.
    The Windows installer ISO still ran OK.
    Finally I extracted the ISO to a NTFS partition on a freshly zeroed USB drive.
    It still worked.
    I am wondering if this method is working consistently on other peoples UEFI computers?
    I believe that the same is true for a Ubuntu ISO that has been extracted to a USB drive booting in UEFI mode.

Beans
    Hidden!

@C.S.Cameron,

I have access to various computers for testing. In UEFI mode all of them can boot most Linux systems when extracted to a FAT32 partition. The same is true for the Windows installer, when the iso file contains files smaller than 4 GiB. We know that there is a problem when there is a file, install.wim, that exceeds that limit.

Some computers but not all [computers that I have access to] can boot from an NTFS partition in UEFI mode. This is a good option for the Windows installer where it works. So end users should test this method in their computers.

In mkusb I use the method to boot to a small FAT32 partition, and then let Windows transfer the boot process to a bigger NTFS partition, where all the files are extracted (including the huge install.wim). This works in all computers that I have access to, and I am rather confident that it works in the vast majority of computers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have been trying to install Kubuntu 20.04.1 to a laptop, however running into many problems. Have been using

Code:
    mkusb kubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
    and then select the "e" option. Do you think it may require selecting another option ?? Related discussion at https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2452691

Beans
    Hidden!

@oygle,

I will answer at that other thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks @sudodus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@sudodus - just an FYI, the only way I was able to see the "Try" and "Install" options was to follow your advice and use recovery mode (grub) to select the 'Text graphics' option.

Page 103 of 126 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast