Page 126 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1260

Thread: Howto make USB boot drives

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto make USB boot drives

@1fallen,

mkusb and its components do not use --options, only the simple ones, like -v and -h.

Do you think that I should add --version and --help?

Code:
    $ mkusb -v
    mkusb-dus:  dus 24.0.1
    mkusb-plug: mkusb-plug 2.8.7
    mkusb-nox:  mkusb-nox 23.1.2
    mkusb-bas:  mkusb version 7.4.3
    mkusb-11:   mkusb 11.2.2
    $ mkusb -h
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Usage: mkusb [input-file]      # optional parameter
    d:  dus , guidus, mkusb-dus    - Classic, easy to use
    p: Plug,   mkusb-plug          - New, easy to use
    n: NoX,    sudo mkusb-nox      - original text mode
    b: Bas,    sudo mkusb-bas      - basic text mode for old/basic linux
    e: Eleven, sudo -H mkusb-11    - Old user interface
    q: Quit
    Select version of mkusb (d/p/n/b/e/q) d
    dus 24.0.1
    Usage:
    ---- Make USB or memory card install drive from ISO or image file ---
    dus
    dus file.iso
    dus "quote file name (1) with special characters.iso"
    dus file.img
    dus file.img.gz
    dus file.img.xz
    dus file.tar       # if an mkusb tarfile for Windows
    ---- Clone a device (typically a CD drive or USB drive) -------------
    dus /dev/sr0       # example of CD drive
    ---- Wipe or restore a USB drive or memory card ---------------------
    dus
    ---- Options --------------------------------------------------------
    dus -d [file.iso]  # dialog (text mode menus)
    dus -t [file.iso]  # plain text mode interface
    dus -h             # usage text
    dus -v             # version

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Not for me....I'm good as is.

I just needed to see the version from the tarball when installing.

After thought, it might help others though. So it's your call sudodus.

Thanks for your continued contributions....
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Can I use mkusb to format an external 1Tb SSD and then make it a Kubuntu boot disk ? I have used mkusb to do this to a usb, and in essence the SSD, being connected by a usb cable is nearly the same device.

The SSD is new, so only 3 files on it, I think there is a quick wipe option ? Will the process take a long time, as it is 1 Tb ??

Beans
    Hidden!

@oygle,

If 'format' means create a partition and a suitable file system for Kubuntu, I'd say no, not mkusb.

I would use gparted for that task, and create a partition with an ext4 file system.

mkusb-dus can be used to wipe a drive (overwrite it with zeros), and to create a partition with a basic FAT32 file system, which used to be the main file system in USB pendrives. Today, in big USB drives, > 32 GB, and with big files, > 4GB, you may prefer to use some other file system, NTFS, exFAT, for portability to Windows, or ext4 if used only within Linux. See also this link.

(mkusb-plug can create live drives with NTFS or exFAT or ext4, but only 'behind' the cloned iso9660 file system.)

Edit: I'm assuming here that you want to install Kubuntu into the USB drive.

If you want to create a live or persistent live drive, you need not format it, but can let mkusb create the live system directly without pre-formatting.
    Last edited by sudodus; 2 Days Ago at 03:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oygle View Post
    Can I use mkusb to format an external 1Tb SSD and then make it a Kubuntu boot disk ? I have used mkusb to do this to a usb, and in essence the SSD, being connected by a usb cable is nearly the same device.

The SSD is new, so only 3 files on it, I think there is a quick wipe option ? Will the process take a long time, as it is 1 Tb ??
    You don't say if you want to use the ssd as a boot install drive for installing to other devices or if you want an installed version of Kubuntu on this drive.

Until we know it's uses we cannot properly advise you.

Cheers Tony
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr Kubuntu Jammy/Win 11 Be/FE mythtv 0.34Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng QN95B55" Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@sudodus, thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    If 'format' means create a partition and a suitable file system for Kubuntu, I'd say no, not mkusb.

I would use gparted for that task, and create a partition with an ext4 file system.
    Ok, so I do the gparted first, then mkusb to put Kubuntu OS on it. I use EXT4 mostly, the SSD is formatted to msdos I think, so it definitely needs formatting first.

See also this link.
    I wanted to make it EXT4, so I have to assume any files greater than 4Gb are okay. Is an SSD still considered a "usb-flash-drive" ?? It has a usb connection.

Edit: I'm assuming here that you want to install Kubuntu into the USB drive.
    Yes

If you want to create a live or persistent live drive, you need not format it, but can let mkusb create the live system directly without pre-formatting.
    As I think the HDD on this (old) Dell laptop is showing signs of possible fail ( see https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....2&goto=newpost ), my thinking was to put Kubuntu on the SSD and run it from a Lenovo laptop, as an external boot. The Lenovo Windows10 on it and I'd prefer not to format, besides the SSD on that is not large enough.

The old Dell has had display problems for years, so the plan is to use the external SSD on another computer. I hope this makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by vidtek View Post
    You don't say if you want to use the ssd as a boot install drive for installing to other devices or if you want an installed version of Kubuntu on this drive.
    An installed version of Kubuntu on the SSD. Do it all from the Dell. Then use the SSD in a Lenovo as a boot option/device, as the lenovo has Win10 on it. I use Kubuntu 99% of the time, so the new SSD will be on at least 10 to 12 hours/day. Not a lot of file 'work', just 'on'.

Beans
    Hidden!

@oygle,

The best way is to use 2 USB drives,

1. A USB pendrive, and you use mkusb to put a live Kubuntu system there.

2. The target USB-SSD, and you can use gparted to format it. You need not (should not) use mkusb on this drive.

I don't know which version of Kubuntu you intend to install.

A. If 24.04 LTS, I think there is the installer Calamares. In that case boot into the USB pendrive and use the installer to install Kubuntu into it.

B. If 22.04 LTS, I think there is the installer Ubiquity, and if you run in UEFI mode, it will put the EFI system partition onto the internal drive of the computer, unless you disable it (for example unplug or remove the internal drive from the computer during the installation process). So this can cause problems unless you get everything right.

An alternative is to install by extraction/cloning Ubuntu Server from a compressed image of an already installed system, and then boot in the target computer (the Lenovo) into Ubuntu Server and install the meta package kubuntu-desktop. You may have to turn off secure boot. After reboot you will have Kubuntu. See more details about this alternative. Please read the whole thread before starting to use this method.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks @sudodus

The best way is to use 2 USB drives,

1. A USB pendrive, and you use mkusb to put a live Kubuntu system there.

2. The target USB-SSD, and you can use gparted to format it. You need not (should not) use mkusb on this drive.
    Great, thanks. I can do all that from the Dell/Kubuntu.

I don't know which version of Kubuntu you intend to install.
    I hadn't given it much thought, as yet. But now realising, as I have no wish to modify BIOS in either the Dell or the lenovo, I had better see if the Lenovo has UEFI or not. See attached dump of the Dell partitiions now.

A. If 24.04 LTS, I think there is the installer Calamares. In that case boot into the USB pendrive and use the installer to install Kubuntu into it.

B. If 22.04 LTS, I think there is the installer Ubiquity, and if you run in UEFI mode, it will put the EFI system partition onto the internal drive of the computer, unless you disable it (for example unplug or remove the internal drive from the computer during the installation process). So this can cause problems unless you get everything right.
    I'm using 22.04 now and it doesn't seem like 24.04 is stable yet, as it's only in the nightly builds. I was going to do that only from the Dell/Kubuntu, so should be safe, right ?

An alternative is to install by extraction/cloning Ubuntu Server from a compressed image of an already installed system, and then boot in the target computer (the Lenovo) into Ubuntu Server and install the meta package kubuntu-desktop. You may have to turn off secure boot. After reboot you will have Kubuntu. See more details about this alternative. Please read the whole thread before starting to use this method.
    Hmm, .. maybe a bit too challenging for me at present.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

@oygle,

When booted into the computers from the live Kubuntu USB drive, you can run the following command in order to find the boot mode,

Code:
    test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios
    The version 24.04 LTS will probably be released within this month, so maybe you can wait a while. But even after the release, it will not be fully debugged. If you want a smooth ride, you should stay with 22.04 LTS until the first point release, 24.04.1 LTS (late July or early August).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks @sudodus, I tried that command on the Dell/Kubuntu

Code:
    $ test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios
    efi
    The version 24.04 LTS will probably be released within this month, so maybe you can wait a while. But even after the release, it will not be fully debugged. If you want a smooth ride, you should stay with 22.04 LTS until the first point release, 24.04.1 LTS (late July or early August).
    Okay, a smooth ride I will take.

Page 126 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126