Page 89 of 125 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto make USB boot drives

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto make USB boot drives

mkusb version 12.4.4, 12.4.4-1ubuntu2,3,4,5

mkusb 12.4.4
    - dus-persistent: grub-n-iso: label for persistence in focal fossa 'writable' (but still 'casper-rw' in older versions)

mkusb 12.4.4-1ubuntu2
    - mkusb-plug 2.6.0: get_action: added action to make Windows installer
    - mkusb-tow 'TO Windows': new shellscript that does the work for mkusb-plug (to make Windows installer)
    mkusb 12.4.4-1ubuntu3
    - mkusb-tow: main: fixed buggy command for targsiz
    mkusb - 12.4.4-1ubuntu4
    - mkusb-tow: wf_cleanup: made to work correctly in text mode (bugfix)
    mkusb - 12.4.4-1ubuntu5
    - mkusb-plug: mkusb-sedd and mkusb-tow: several minor bugfixes after testing in xubuntu focal in order to make things work in systems like xubuntu focal, that automatically mounts partitions that are created and after partprobe.

mkusb version 12 alias dus calls dus-persistent and its new version checks for the version of Ubuntu in the iso file and selects file name or partition label 'writable' for focal fossa (20.04 LTS) and 'casper-rw' for the previous versions.

mkusb-plug calls mkusb-tow 'TO Windows', which is developed from iso2usb/diy/windows-installer-for-big-files, mkusb-tow can manage current Windows 10 iso files with a file 'install.wim', that exceeds 4 GiB.

mkusb-tow uses zenity when available, but it can also work as a stand-alone tool in text mode (but mkusb-plug needs graphics mode and zenity).

Unstable 1: You get/update this new version of mkusb from the unstable PPA via the following commands

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository universe     # this line only for standard Ubuntu

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/unstable
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb           # to install
    # sudo apt full-upgrade          # upgrade to current version (with all other upgrades), only for installed systems

sudo apt install mkusb guidus dus mkusb-common  # to upgrade all mkusb basic components including dus

sudo apt install usb-pack-efi    # for persistent live drives that work in UEFI and BIOS mode with 32-bit iso files
    You get only the version dus (alone or with guidus) via one of the following commands (if you don't care about mkusb-11, mkusb-nox, mkusb-bas)

Code:
    sudo apt install dus
    sudo apt install guidus
    You get only the version mkusb-plug via [the update command and] the following command,

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb-plug
    Unstable 2: This new version of mkusb might also be available via this link: mkusb/gui#from_phillw.net.
    Unstable 3: There are tarballs with only dus and guidus (mkusb version 12) as a last alternative.

Stable: mkusb version 12.4.4 is in the stable PPA. The policy is to test mkusb for a long time and in several environments before it is uploaded to the stable PPA (unless there are minor tweaks or bug-fixes).

You get/update this version via the following commands

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository universe      # this line only for standard Ubuntu

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/ppa
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb            # to install
    # sudo apt full-upgrade           # upgrade to current version (with all other upgrades), only for installed systems

sudo apt install usb-pack-efi     # for persistent live drives that work in UEFI and BIOS mode with 32-bit iso files
    You get only the version dus (alone or with guidus) via one of the following commands (if you don't care about mkusb-11, mkusb-nox, mkusb-bas)

Code:
    sudo apt install dus
    sudo apt install guidus
    You get only the version mkusb-plug via [the update command and] the following command,

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb-plug
    Usually there is drive space enough to install all the following mkusb packages explicitly:

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb guidus mkusb-plug usb-pack-efi

Please notice that if you have already installed mkusb-plug or dus/guidus from a tarball, you had better remove that version when you install via PPA. The advantage with the PPA version is that it gets updated/upgraded automatically along with other program packages that are installed from the Ubuntu repositories.
    Last edited by sudodus; April 15th, 2020 at 05:22 PM. Reason: mkusb - 12.4.4-1ubuntu2,3,4,5; 12.4.4 in the stable PPA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Just to clear my mind, I understand mkusb-plug is now part of guidus - install - Live-only.
    I am a little confused as I do not see the name mkusb-plug anywhere.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry for the confusion:

mkusb-plug is a program package, that can be installed via the mkusb PPA (ppa:mkusb/ppa and ppa:mkusb/unstable). It is [stlll?] loosely tied to the main mkusb package.

guidus is another program package, that can be installed via the mkusb PPA (ppa:mkusb/ppa and ppa:mkusb/unstable). It is closer tied to the main mkusb package.

So in order to get the main mkusb system and add mkusb-plug, you install both of them
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb mkusb-plug
    Last edited by sudodus; March 21st, 2020 at 10:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Good yes, I've done that, but how do I start mkusb-plug? Is there a icon that I can select?
    I am used to running the mkusb-plug script, I missed the part about running the latest version.

Beans
    Hidden!

1. I am testing right now, and I have found a silly but bad bug in mkusb-tow, that is used by mkusb-plug to make a Windows installer. I am testing now after fixing that bug, and later today I intend to upload a new version.

2. You can start mkusb-plug

- Directly from command line: mkusb-plug
    - From the script mkusb (in command line)
    - From the start menu or if gnome, the tool that shows the GUI applications (I don't know the name of that tool)
    - In a file browser by right-clicking on an iso file and selecting mkusb-plug

Edit: mkusb 12.4.4-1ubuntu4 with a bugfix is uploaded to ppa:mkusb/unstable now. An additional bugfix made mkusb-tow work also in text mode (as a stand-alone tool) while mkusb-plug needs graphics and zenity.
    Last edited by sudodus; March 21st, 2020 at 08:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I found my mkusb-plug icon, thank you.
    2.6.0 works great but I get: Oops Something has gone wrong log out, a few times, but it runs okay after.
    When shutting down I get ... Access beyond end of device, scrolling for five to ten minutes.
    When quitting mkusb12.4.4 it now has message: Please remove the installation medium then press enter.
    I do not recall this from some previous versions.

Beans
    Hidden!

@C.S.Cameron,

I do not recognize the warnings and error messages that you get. Please describe in detail how you use mkusb 12.4.4 (I guess you mean mkusb-dus), and how you use mkusb-plug.

- Which scenario:

. computer: brand name and model, boot mode, amount of RAM, graphics chip/card
    . operating system: version, live or installed
    . source iso files: full names (*buntu.iso, windows.iso)
    . target device: USB drive or memory card or SSD (brand name and model)

- When do you get these warnings and error messages? Please describe as exactly as possible what you did and when it happened.

I will try to test with as similar scenario as possible: similar computer, same operating system and same iso files.

Or are you testing in a virtual machine?

Edit: 'Please remove the installation medium then press enter.' is a typical message when shutting down a live drive (or persistent live drive). I do not understand how it can appear, when quitting mkusb.
    Last edited by sudodus; March 22nd, 2020 at 10:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    . computer: brand name and model, boot mode, amount of RAM, graphics chip/card
    . operating system: version, live or installed
    . source iso files: full names (*buntu.iso, windows.iso)
    . target device: USB drive or memory card or SSD (brand name and model)
    Computer 1: HP, Elitebook, 8560W, i7, BIOS, 24 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 2000, Windows 10 installed,

Computer 2: Acer 8572, i5, BIOS, 8GB RAM, Ubuntu 18.04 upgraded from 16.06 (Unity) installed,

Focal-desktop-amd64-2020-02-23, Tested "Persistent" and "usbdata" installs, 4GB Kingston Data Traveler USB2.

After starting I get: "Oh no! Something has gone wrong... log out", with both 2.6.0 mkusb-plug "usbdata" and "persistent" installs. First few runs only.

When shutting down I get ... Access beyond end of device, that scrolls for five to ten minutes. with persistent installs but not usbdata installs.

When quitting Guidus12.4.4 Persistent, it now has message: "Please remove the installation medium then press enter" for both for both persistent and usbdata installs, I think this was happening with previous version also.

All above items happen with both the HP and Acer.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; March 23rd, 2020 at 10:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

- Thanks for those details. My son has a computer that is very similar to your Elitebook. I have no own experience of Acer computers, but since both computers are affected, I will test with my son's Elitebook.

Some additional questions:

- How did you run mkusb-plug in the Elitebook?
    . From an 'installed' system in USB or from a persistent live system or from a live-only system?
    . Did you run mkusb-plug in Ubuntu Focal?

- Did you run mkusb-plug in Ubuntu 18.04 upgraded from 16.04.6 in the Acer? This could cause a problem because I know that mkusb-plug has a problem with 16.04.x LTS: It does not find a suitable version of fdisk when installing from the PPA. But I have tested that it works when installed from the tarball (in 16.04.6 LTS).

- Which locale (language) are you using? I have tested with 'English US' and 'Swedish', but I have not tested with for example 'English UK'.

- Did you [try to] create a live and persistent live drive with Ubuntu Focal?

Beans
    Distro

- Ran mkusb-plug in the Elitebook from Full install of 18.04.3 in 32GB DataTraveler3.

- Have not tried running mkusb-plug in Ubuntu Focal yet.

- I ran mkusb-plug in Ubuntu 18.04 upgraded from 16.04.6 in the Acer.

- I have tested with 'English US' only.

-I made a live and persistent live drive of Ubuntu Focal using both guidus and mkusb-plug. Only the persistent mkusb-plug says ... Access beyond end of device. I will try installing to a different USB today.

Page 89 of 125 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast