Thread: Howto make USB boot drives

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Howto make USB boot drives

After giving the matter a little more thought:

mkusb_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_fat32_4GB_use-in-windows.img.xz creates a drive with a 4GB Fat 32 partition visible to Windows 10 and Windows 7, Linux and IOS.

Windows Disk Manager and GParted can be used to turn the unformatted space on a larger USB into a FAT32 or NTFS partition that can be seen by Windows 10 or Linux. GParted can be used to turn it into a stable ext partition for use by Linux.

Booting the USB flash drive to Ubuntu using toram, I was able to unmount the USB using "sudo umount -lrf /isodevice" and in GParted move the boot partitions to the right and expand the 4GB FAT32 partition to use all the extra space. (Do not forget to leave 1MB of free space to the right of the EFI partition). The resulting drives FAT32 partition was accessible in both Windows 7 and 10 as long as it was number one and on the far left side.

The '4GB_use-in-windows.img can be used to make an ISO booting USB of any complexity, that can be used in BIOS mode and UEFI mode computers. It can also serve as a foundation for a Full install drive and many other bootable USB projects.

I am a little confused about why the FAT32 partition has been wanting to be on the left side of WDM and GParted. I do not ever recall mkusb's usbdata partition having trouble in Windows 7?
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; August 16th, 2020 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Do not forget to leave 1MB of free space...