Page 99 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto make USB boot drives

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto make USB boot drives

@C.S.Cameron,

Will this new template

dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_CSC_1GB.img.xz

work for you to help people create USB systems (installed and/or grub-n-iso ...)?

Check the download with

dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_CSC_1GB.img.xz.md5

Code:
    $ md5sum -c dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_CSC_1GB.img.xz.md5
    dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_CSC_1GB.img.xz: OK

$ ls -l dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_CSC_1GB.img.xz*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sudodus sudodus 2850876  4 aug 11.57 dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_CSC_1GB.img.xz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sudodus sudodus      87  4 aug 12.48 dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_CSC_1GB.img.xz.md5

$ lsblk -fm /dev/sdc
    NAME        FSTYPE LABEL           UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT               SIZE OWNER GROUP MODE
    sdc                                                                                             1006M root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sdc1      ntfs   usbdata         3379F00E4AF983B6                     /media/sudodus/usbdata     2M root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sdc2                                                                                           977K root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sdc3      vfat   usbboot         02D3-7915                                                   244,1M root  disk  brw-rw----
    └─sdc4      ext4   root            47c14817-7db6-4323-8f78-bbc8872079e3 /media/sudodus/root        1M root  disk  brw-rw----
    $
    I created partitions #1 and #4 with gparted and made a compressed image.
    Last edited by sudodus; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:59 PM. Reason: CSC filre removed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Please excuse the delay in my reply.

dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_ntfs_3.5GB.img
    USB was not recognized when plugged into either Win10 computer.
    USB was accessible after changing file system from NTFS to FAT32.

dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_CSC_GB.img
    Drives shows in File manager, but both Win10's says "E:\ is not accessible / insufficient system resources..."
    USB was accessible after changing file system from NTFS to FAT3

If I create GPT partition table with NTFS filesystem using GParted, drive is recognized in Win10.

NTFS usbdata partition on Persistent drive made with mkusb is accessible by Windows 10.

I am confused.

Beans
    Hidden!

@C.S.Cameron,

I think it can be difficult to get a template that is small and at the same time works well with Windows. But it might be worthwhile to keep trying.

My questions for this kind of template to work with your detailed instructions:

- What is necessary?
    - What would be nice?
    - What cannot be accepted?

- As it is now, there are a few versions of this template at phillw.net. Which of them is closest to what you want?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Sudodus:
    I've run dozens and dozens of template installs using Rufus and Etcher the last few days, looking for a little enlightenment.
    Have not come to a firm conclusion yet.

- What is necessary? Ability to create using Windows alone.
    - What would be nice? The least effort as possible.
    - What cannot be accepted? Perhaps instability?

So far NTFS does not seem to be working with Windows and has problems shutting down.

Fat32 shuts down quickly and can be used by Windows. It can also be used for ISO files and persistent files and persistent-path folders. I think it is more stable than NTFS. But who knows how quickly Ubuntu / Linux files will hit the 4GB threshold? A ISO booting USB with FAT32 can also be created on an Apple computer.

An ext4 partition would be nice, (maybe necessary), for Linux people and for a persistent partition if desired.

Please make one more template file with a 1MB ext4 partition / placeholder next to the boot partition and a 1MB FAT32 partition / placeholder on its right.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; August 8th, 2020 at 02:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

@C.S.Cameron,

Finally I tested in Windows. The kind of template that you asked for as well as the other current versions do not work. For some reason Windows does not want to modify partitions, that I created in Linux. So it is no use to upload a drive with a minimal FAT32 partition.

Instead there is a major makeover. I modified the numbering in the partition table of the two partitions for booting:

Code:
    sda2 --> sda1
    sda3 --> sda2
    and modified the grub bootloaders to work correctly.

Will this new template 'only-p1p2' <--> 'only partition #1 and partition #2',

dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_only-p1p2.img.xz

work for you to help people create USB systems (installed and/or grub-n-iso ...)?

Check the download with

grub-boot-templates-for-uefi-n-bios.md5

Code:
    $ ls -l dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_only-p1p2.img.xz*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3681860 aug  8 17:18 dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_only-p1p2.img.xz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      89 aug  8 18:10 dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_only-p1p2.img.xz.md5

$ lsblk -fm /dev/sdc
    NAME   FSTYPE LABEL   UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT   SIZE OWNER GROUP MODE
    sdc                                                                    1006M root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sdc1                                                                  977K root  disk  brw-rw----
    └─sdc2 vfat   usbboot 02D3-7915                                       244,1M root  disk  brw-rw----
    As it is now, you can create a new partition in Windows, and if you select FAT32, it will work as an isodevice (where you have the iso file(s)). Of course, in Linux it is better to use ext4.

You can add another partition, select ext4 and the label 'writable' for persistence, or the label 'usbdata' and NTFS for storage and exchange of data with [current versions of] Window 10.

I did some testing and I think it works now, both in UEFI mode and BIOS mode. But I have not tested everything, that you might do with this template, so I'm looking forward to the result of your tests
    Last edited by sudodus; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@sudodus

I have also given up trying to get micro partitions to work in an image file for use by Windows 10.

I have had good luck making an ISO booting USB totally in Windows 10 using the latest Template image:

- Use Rufus, Etcher or Win32DiskImager to flash https://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/...ly-p1p2.img.xz to Target USB.

- Open Windows Disk Management.

- Select unallocated disk space on USB.

- Select "New Single Volume"

- Specify space required. Leave some unallocated space if using ext4 Persistent partition.

- Use default drive letter.

- Make FAT32, (NTFS also works but does not shut down).

- Copy Ubuntu ISO file to new partition. Rename to "ubuntu.iso".

- If using Persistence file(s) add to root of new partition. If using multi persistence, add Persistence file(s) to uniquely named folders. Persistence files must go on FAT32 partition.

- Boot USB.

- If using persistent partition, open GParted and create New ext4 partition in remaining unallocated space, label it "casper-rw" or "writable". If using a home-rw persistent partition create another ext4 partition and label it home-rw.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; August 10th, 2020 at 05:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    @sudodus
    I have had good luck making an ISO booting USB totally in Windows 10 using the latest Template image:
    Finally something that works also in Windows

Q1: What about the name of the template. Would you like to suggest a suitable name for it (or are you happy with the current name)?

Q2: Should we keep also one of the old templates to be managed in Linux for cases where the user might want to share data with older versions of Windows, and 'usbdata' must be partition #1 (or is it enough with one single template, that works with Linux and the current version of Windows 10)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The current name is not bad, only some users might be concerned about the "dd_" part of it.
    Replacing dd with mkusb might give it some cred.
    Making bios_grub and boot,efi partitions to 1 & 2 is I think necessary for consistency. p1p2 may not be needed in the name.
    "mkusb-grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios.img.xz" sort of has a nice ring to it.

I think that if the image is flashed to USB in Windows the original partition numbering does not matter. Numbering appears to be based on the partitions actually on the disk at the time.
    However if the image is flashed in Linux with mkusb or disks the original order is kept. Then I think the new FAT32 partition can be number one, to suit older Windows. NTFS still can't be seen by Windows 10.
    ie dd_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_ntfs_3.5GB.img.xz had the partitions in the right order, (NTFS No1), in Windows Disk Manager, but the NTFS partition can't be seen in Windows Files.

Giving it some thought,I think an image just like the NTFS one but with FAT32 file system would work with older Windows. I will try to find my XP virtual machine and check.

Beans
    Hidden!

@C.S.Cameron,

This sounds good. I'll wait for your result with an image just like the NTFS one but with FAT32 file system would work with older Windows (your XP virtual machine).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I found my 32bit Windows XP VM. took me about an hour to figure out XP does not like GPT, Duh.
    Now to find a Win 7 VM...

Page 99 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast