Page 91 of 95 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto make USB boot drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Howto make USB boot drives

I think Windows install tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...-download-tool) only works with one Windows ISO at a time as does Rufus (https://rufus.ie/)

YUMI (https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-m...t-usb-creator/) and MultiBootUSB (http://multibootusb.org/) don't boot Windows ISO's but are great with Linux ISO's

I have heard positive things about, but not tried WinSetupFromUSB (https://www.winsetupfromusb.com/downloads/) and Easy2Boot (https://www.easy2boot.com/) Both say they will multiboot Windows and Linux ISO's.

I would not be surprised if there was an easy way to get mkusb to multiboot Windows ISO's.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post

I would not be surprised if there was an easy way to get mkusb to multiboot Windows ISO's.
    Whoever can develop mkusb for this purpose is welcome, either to include it in mkusb or to fork it into a new tool

I store iso files in my main computer and use USB pendrives as temporary devices: So whenever I need a USB boot drive I create it from the relevant iso file (usually with mkusb-dus or mkusb-plug).

For this reason I have focused on single boot systems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    @jesterb,

I suggest that you try multiboot-usb by Sundar.

If you need more details, I refer to C.S.Cameron, who is active at these Ubuntu Forums and knows better than I how to create multiboot USB drives. He has written several posts here and at AskUbuntu describing how to create what you want. So let us wait for advice from him.
    Thanks sudodus,

I have tried downloading multiboot-usb, and my usb drive is not detected in that program, but it is in Ubuntu linux 18.04. I have formatted to ext4. Not sure if it needs to be fat32 or ntfs. As a side note: Although there were no files on the usb drive, I just did a format using linux disks application, I did not choose to erase. Could that be why it is not detected in the multiboot-usb program? I am testing in a virtualbox vm at the moment, I don't want to do a refresh yet, but it looks like I am going to do it now.
    Last edited by jesterb; March 31st, 2020 at 02:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jesterb View Post
    Thanks sudodus,

I have tried downloading multiboot-usb, and my usb drive is not detected in that program, but it is in Ubuntu linux 18.04. I have formatted to ext4. Not sure if it needs to be fat32 or ntfs.
    I don't know which file systems that work with multiboot-usb. Please try with another file system. Unfortunately there are Windows iso files that are too big for FAT32, > 4 GiB, but maybe it works with NTFS.

As a side note: Although there were no files on the usb drive, I just did a format using linux disks application, I did not choose to erase. Could that be why it is not detected in the multiboot-usb program?
    It should be OK to just format using Disks. You should not need to erase. But if still problems, you can erase only the first mibibyte which is very fast. You can do that with mkusb. And then there should be no traces of previous partition tables or file systems that might confuse the partitioning tool (Disks) or multiboot-usb.

Please have a look at the tips by C.S.Cameron at this link and let us know what works best for you
    Last edited by sudodus; March 31st, 2020 at 02:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I refer to the testing described in post #896.

The beta versions of the Focal iso files are still suffering from the bug manifested by the following error messages

Code:
    buffer I/O errors
    Access beyond end of device
    However the persistent USB boot drives made with mkusb from the beta iso files behave slightly better than from iso files made one or two weeks earlier. So I am not modifying mkusb for this purpose. I will watch the progress until the final release of 20.04 LTS, and if necessary modify mkusb (mkusb-dus and mkusb-plug).
    Last edited by sudodus; April 5th, 2020 at 06:50 AM. Reason: described more clearly that the beta iso files are slightly better than iso files made one or two weeks earlier

Beans
    Distro

@jesterb
    MultiBootUSB does not do Windows.
    I have had best luck with this tool using USB drives formatted FAT32.
    MBUSB has a 4GB limit for persistence for each 'Buntu OS.
    A MBUSB drive boots on both BIOS and UEFI systems.

YUMI BIOS is similar but has unlimited persistence for each 'Buntu OS.
    YUMI UEFI is limited to 4GB persistence per OS.

I prefer using mkusb to multiboot ISO files:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/9625.../962676#962676
    But have not had luck using it to boot windows ISO's except by installing VBox on a mkusb persistent drive.

Beans
    Distro

Another mkusb Hack
    How to Copy Ubuntu Install from Internal Drive to Bootable USB
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1224...o-bootable-usb

Beans
    Hidden!

+1

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I have used mkusb quite a bit over the years, no problems. Today I tried to use the usb from a mkusb done about 2 weeks ago, to reinstall Kubuntu 19.10 on a HP laptop . Booted from the usb okay and got a splash screen but no 'Install Kubuntu ' logo. Waited 10 or 15 minutes, still nothing. Thinking that the usb may be damaged, I did the mkusb again on a 19.10 box (Dell laptop) and used the latest 19.10 ISO. All went okay, then used that usb on the HP laptop. It has been at least 30 minutes now, the splash screen is there but no icon to install Kubuntu. Checking the usb, no activity there either.

Can I do the boot from a usb and no splash screen so I can see what is going on ? This HP laptop is quite old and has a broken screen but have a monitor hooked up. Also, I have used the usb boot sequence from a mkusb on that laptop a number of times and no problems.

So the splash scrren is there, mouse pointer active and I can move it around. No left or right click does anything. No icon with "install Kubuntu". I select option "e" when doing the mkusb.

Beans
    Hidden!

@oygle,

I am ready to help you debug this problem by testing here (but of course my computers are different from yours).

0. Did you remember to check with md5sum that the iso file is good?

1. Did you create a live-only or a persistent live drive?

2. It really should work when cloned because the cloning process is very robust and should not differ between tools. So it is well debugged with the Kubuntu 19.10 iso file.

Edit: Some HP computers do not want to boot via grub from USB when there is a GUID partition table (GPT). For such computers you should select MSDOS partition table in the 'Settings' menu, when you make a persistent live drive.
    Last edited by sudodus; April 9th, 2020 at 08:46 AM.

Page 91 of 95 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast