Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576

Thread: Howto make USB boot drives

Beans

Re: Howto make USB boot drives

This was pretty much the procedure I followed. The internal drive was a windows volume (because it had space). Had I been thinking, I would have captured the output of the mkusb. It seemed to be doing a lot more than when I had used unetbootin and certainly created more partitions. The only thing that broke was the labeling of the casper-rw partition. The target flash drive had 2 partitions (the wreckage of a Windows vs. Linŭ formatting disaster). Could that have thrown off the mkusb scripts? Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    How to keep /home from an old persistent live drive when creating a new one

Instead of updating & upgrading a persistent live drive it is better to create a new drive from a newer iso file,
    Is there a way to capture a list of installed apps and then use that to re-install apps? Re-installing apps is what seems to take a big block of time.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Look in "Ubuntu Software" / "installed" for installed programs. However this does not show User installed programs
    I seem to recall that Synaptic gives that info.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by marks2 View Post
    This was pretty much the procedure I followed. The internal drive was a windows volume (because it had space). Had I been thinking, I would have captured the output of the mkusb. It seemed to be doing a lot more than when I had used unetbootin and certainly created more partitions. The only thing that broke was the labeling of the casper-rw partition. The target flash drive had 2 partitions (the wreckage of a Windows vs. Linŭ formatting disaster). Could that have thrown off the mkusb scripts? Thanks!
    mkusb starts by wiping the first mibibyte of the drive. That way the partition table is wiped, and the previous content of the drive is no longer relevant.

When creating a persistent live drive, mkusb creates 5 partitions. Partition #5 is labeled 'casper-rw' and will store data (that makes the system persistent live).

If there were only 2 partitions in the target drive after mkusb did its job, something went really wrong for you.

Please try again, and come back to tell us the result. If you start mkusb-dus from a terminal window, you can capture the output.

Code:
    cd 'directory-where-you-have-the-iso-file'
    dus linuxmint-18.3-xfce-64bit.iso
    When mkusb-dus has finished, you can mark all text, copy it to clipboard, paste it into an editor, and save it as a file.

Then you can paste the content of the file from the editor to an edit window here at the Ubuntu Forums and render it as code. Please post the output between code tags like this

[code]
    output
    [/code]

to get output like this

Code:
    output
    This will help me debug your problem. Otherwise I can hardly guess (because it works for me).
    Last edited by sudodus; 4 Days Ago at 06:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by marks2 View Post
    Is there a way to capture a list of installed apps and then use that to re-install apps? Re-installing apps is what seems to take a big block of time.

Thanks!
    If you want/need to install a lot of program packages, I would recommend that you create an installed system (if not in an internal drive, you can install it into a USB drive of at least 16 GB). I mean installed the same way as into an internal drive, but into a USB drive. See this link,

Boot Ubuntu from external drive

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    Look in "Ubuntu Software" / "installed" for installed programs. However this does not show User installed programs
    I seem to recall that Synaptic gives that info.
    @marks2,

I think, that the Synaptic Package Manager gives information about all installed packages. And it is there in

Menu -- System

of Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce.

Beans
    Distro

Rsync worked great maintaining permissions and all, (I prefer the grsync GUI if I gotta run rsync myself).
    I'm taking a look how this works with desktop /home partitions and/or directories.
    It might be cool to keep a flash drive OS sync'd with a desktop computer.

FYI, I avoid rsync more than I should so I used gparted to extract an existing home directory to a partition:

Made Persistent flash drive of new release using mkusb, created space for home partition using gparted.
    Copied casper-rw partition from old USB to space on new USB using gparted, changed label from casper-rw to home-rw, closed gparted, removed old USB.
    Ran gksu nautilus, mounted and opened home-rw, moved, (Not copied), contents of /upper/home/ to root of home-rw. Deleted any home folder from new casper-rw/upper/.

Rsyncing is probably easier.

So far in testing casper-rw files and home-rw files, (as found on a syslinux type USB's, ie UNetbootin), work in the same way as partitions but need to be mounted with sudo mount -o loop casper-rw /media/casper/ when worked on.

How hard would it be to add home-rw partitions to mkusb? Maybe a mkusb pro version.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    Rsync worked great maintaining permissions and all, (I prefer the grsync GUI if I gotta run rsync myself).
    How hard would it be to add home-rw partitions to mkusb? Maybe a mkusb pro version.
    Not difficult, but a fair amount of hard work to make it work well

But I am not sure that it is a good idea to add it to mkusb, because there are advantages with a single partition for persistence: In a fairly small USB pendrive, the risk of filling one of two small partitions is higher than the risk of filling one partition with the size of both those two partitions.

Some time ago we were talking about offering a choice of udf file system in the casper-rw partition. I did not do it, partly because there is no repair tool for udf, partly because it is fairly easy to replace ext4 with udf with a few command lines, and we can link to instructions for it. I think similar arguments apply for a home-rw partition.

The instructions could be improved and more general. Maybe we can help each other to write such instructions and store them on a new page at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/

or somewhere else, if you think there is a better place.

Beans
    Distro

You are right about casper-rw not being right for a small pendrive, I'd say less than 16GB, but I find it handy to have a seperate home if there is enough space, I always use a separate /home partition on internal installs and on external Full installs that I plan to use.

I can appreciate that it is a lot easier to add a home-rw partition by hand than to write it into mkusb, but it is still toward the top of my mkusb wish list.

Beans
    Hidden!

@C.S.Cameron,

I guess you mean 'You are right about home-rw not being right for a small pendrive'. I see your point, and I accept that you put making a 'home-rw' partition high on the wish-list. I will think about it again, and when there is time, I will fix it.

- What about default size? Should the 'percentage for persistence' be divided in half?

- What about installing in a drive with an existing 'home-rw' partition? Should it be preserved (and re-used)? It might be nice for the end user, but a bit more complicated for me to make.

Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576