Page 43 of 82 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto make USB boot drives

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto make USB boot drives

Thanks ventrical for testing, finding this bug and verifying that mkusb works as it should after the bugfix

I checked (in 16.04.1 LTS) and the same thing happens [with the home bookmark in the file selector] in some random samples all the way back to mkusb 9.0.1 from Sep 6 2014. But I have not checked in previous versions of Ubuntu. Probably part of the engine under the hood has changed, and is causing this changed behaviour (for example a new version of sudo).

I discovered an hour ago (before lunch), that Fedora 24 is different in a new way, and needs sudo -iH mkusb (instead of sudo -H mkusb in Ubuntu and also Fedora 20 and 21). So things are changing under the hood, and it is necessary to keep testing application programs in order to keep them running correctly

Edit: I was able to change the code of mkusb, so that it will continue to work as before with
    Code:
    sudo -H mkusb
    also in Fedora 24.
    Last edited by sudodus; September 20th, 2016 at 03:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

mkusb and mkusb-nox version 11.0.7 and 11.0.8

fixes so that mkusb works also in Fedora 24 and openSUSE 42.1

Things have changed under the hood while I was looking in another direction. There were problems not only with Fedora 24, but also with openSUSE 42.1, but there are bug-fixes in version 11.0.7, that make mkusb and mkusb-nox work in both of those distros. See mkusb/v11 and Simple to test mkusb in linux distros, which do not manage an Ubuntu PPA.

Edit 1: I tested mkusb and mkusb-nox version 11.0.7 works in live systems of Debian Jessie 8.6 and Mageia 5, and they work in these distros too. Persistence works with Debian Jessie too (as well as in Ubuntu), but not with Fedora, openSUSE and Mageia.

Edit 2: Version 11.0.8: bug-fix in the mechanism in select_source_as_user: default isdisplay=0 (alias default 'OK')

You get/update this new version of mkusb from the unstable PPA via the following commands

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository universe  # this line only for standard Ubuntu

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/unstable
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mkusb mkusb-nox

sudo apt-get install usb-pack-efi  # for persistent live drives that work in UEFI and BIOS mode with 32-bit iso files
    and via this link: mkusb/gui#from_phillw.net

mkusb 11.0.5 is the version uploaded at the stable PPA, ppa:mkusb/ppa.

You get/update that version via the following commands

Code:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/ppa
    sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install usb-pack-efi  # for persistent live drives that work in UEFI and BIOS mode with 32-bit iso files
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sudodus; September 22nd, 2016 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Updated the versions in the PPAs

Beans
    Hidden!

There are new versions of the quick start manuals for mkusb and mkusb-nox.

- View or download the new mkusb quick start manual mkUSB-quick-start-manual.pdf

- View or download the new mkusb-nox (No X alias text-mode) quick start manual mkUSB-quick-start-manual-nox.pdf

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    There are new versions of the quick start manuals for mkusb and mkusb-nox.

- View or download the new mkusb quick start manual mkUSB-quick-start-manual.pdf

- View or download the new mkusb-nox (No X alias text-mode) quick start manual mkUSB-quick-start-manual-nox.pdf
    Thanks!.. got them both just now.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Thanks!.. got them both just now.
    You are welcome

Beans
    Hidden!

mkusb and mkusb-nox version 11.1.2

- mkusb-nox: added feature: make USB install drive for Windows
    - mkusb and mkusb-nox: several fixes to work well also in Debian testing alias 'Stretch' and unstable alias 'Sid'

• mkusb-nox: added feature: make USB install drive for Windows
      • This method is tested and works with Windows versions 7, 8, 10. With 64-bit versions of Windows, the target drive will be able to boot and install in BIOS mode as well as in UEFI mode.
      • It was not possible to extract the content from the Windows iso file directly to a USB pendrive. The files were not copied correctly (with any of the standard copying tools: cp, rsync, dd) in Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (the current Ubuntu version, when this feature was added to mkusb-nox). But it works in a reliable way to extract to a tarfile, and then extract from the tarfile to the USB pendrive. The user dialogue is displayed in the attached screenshot.
    • mkusb and mkusb-nox: several bugfixes for Debian, made things work not only in 'Jessie' but also in 'Stretch' and 'Sid'
      • made the text strings refer to Debian like Ubuntu (no longer main focus on Ubuntu)
      • mkusb 'needs' rsync (not default in debian sid)
      • fix for new format of the colour specification
      • fix for text mode browser (run in xterm)
      • persist_check_body_bg: separate background colour of the final checkpoint when persistent live
    • updated versions of the text mode manuals (version 11.1.1),
      Code:
      man mkusb
      man mkusb-nox

You get/update this new version of mkusb from the unstable PPA via the following commands

Code:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/unstable
    sudo apt-get update

and via this link: mkusb/gui#from_phillw.net

mkusb 11.0.5 is the version uploaded at the stable PPA, ppa:mkusb/ppa.

You get/update that version via the following commands

Code:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/ppa
    sudo apt-get update

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Got it!
    I seen where you were offered to view the Manual as well.
    This has become my go to tool for most of what I do. (In Testing)
    As far as I can see....another fine release sudodus.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

First, thanks so much for this tool, it's amazing! The alternatives (unetbootin, etc.) never seemed to work quite right for me.

I'm writing to ask how I can chroot into the overlaid filesystem. I don't see instructions anywhere. My use case is that I want to add a user to the persistent live environment with an encrypted home directory (ecryptfs) and it would be much more convenient to do so without having to actually boot the live usb.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't know how to chroot into the overlaid filesystem (in the casper-rw partition). It is not a complete system.

But I have installed such a second user with an encrypted home directory, and it works. It is not too difficult to do it while running the live system.

Beans

Thanks for the quick response. I will think of what I can overlay the casper-rw partition over to serve as the basis of the chroot. If I come up with something, can you tell me what the appropriate mount command would it be? Would I have to install the overlayroot package and then do something like
    Code:
    sudo mount -t overlayfs -o lowerdir=/path/to/base_system,upperdir=/media/mkusb/casper-rw/upper overlayfs /mountpoint
    ?

Page 43 of 82 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast