Page 111 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111
Results 1,101 to 1,104 of 1104

Thread: Howto make USB boot drives

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto make USB boot drives

@vidtek,

If you made the persistent live drive with mkusb-dus (not mkusb-plug), the file system where grub.cfg resides is writable, so you can mount the partition and edit it. Add the extra boot option 'noprompt' near the end of the line that starts with 'linux', in other words near 'persistent', and try if it works.

if you still must unplug the drive instead of only rebooting, I don't know what is the problem. Maybe it helps if you run

Code:
    sudo partprobe
    sync
    in a terminal window and wait for a few seconds for things to settle down just before reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    @vidtek,

If you made the persistent live drive with mkusb-dus (not mkusb-plug), the file system where grub.cfg resides is writable, so you can mount the partition and edit it. Add the extra boot option 'noprompt' near the end of the line that starts with 'linux', in other words near 'persistent', and try if it works.

if you still must unplug the drive instead of only rebooting, I don't know what is the problem. Maybe it helps if you run

Code:
    sudo partprobe
    sync
    in a terminal window and wait for a few seconds for things to settle down just before reboot.
    Thanks @sudodus, I'll give it a go and report back.
    Tony.

EDIT: Well the grub.cfg edit works well, noprompt sorted, Thanks.

Unfortunately your other suggestion did not in real time. I also tried a reboot script with your suggestion:
    Code:
    sudo partprobe && sync && /sbin/reboot
    No joy. Still requires the stick to be physically unplugged.
    Last edited by vidtek; 1 Day Ago at 05:25 PM.
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr KDE Neon 20.04 Focal/Win 10 Be/FE mythtv 0.32Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng ES8000 Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

Just realized, editing the previous post doesn't send a notification to you...doh don't get old....

Well the grub.cfg edit works well, noprompt sorted, Thanks.

Unfortunately your other suggestion did not sort the unplugging-plugging issue in real time.

I also tried a reboot script with your suggestion:
    Code:

sudo partprobe && sync && /sbin/reboot

No joy. Still requires the stick to be physically unplugged/plugged.

Tony
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr KDE Neon 20.04 Focal/Win 10 Be/FE mythtv 0.32Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng ES8000 Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans
    Hidden!

@vidtek,

I'm glad that at least one of my tips works.

I'm afraid, that the problem with unplugging might be due to things happening in the computer's early boot sequences, for example that the content of some memory locations are not reset: Old content is still there, and those memory locations are not properly cleared by the UEFI/BIOS system at reboot. If that is the case, you can test the system in different computers and it might behave differently.

Page 111 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111