Page 102 of 126 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1260

Thread: Howto make USB boot drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Howto make USB boot drives

Yes that is the file.
    Oops, it looks like this is normal with the template images.
    The FAT32 boot partition can be moved, but it can not be expanded or contracted, at least the usable space can not be expanded or contracted.
    ie in GParted the overall size of the partition can be expanded, but the Used space plus the Unused space remain the same. The original space is white and the new space is grey. I have not been able to shrink the overall size once expanded. I have never noticed this before.

Sorry, this sounds pretty confusing, I have just been trying to boot groovy ISO files in UEFI and have not had much luck.

Beans
    Hidden!

@C.S.Cameron,

Thanks for the details.

1. Yes, I can confirm that gparted cannot change the size of [the FAT file system in] the ESP partition.

2. I tested with a fresh partition with FAT32 in a GUID partition table (GPT). And gparted fails with that system too.

3. I tested with a fresh partition with FAT32 in an MSDOS partition table (the old kind of partition table). In this case gparted can change the size.

It looks like a bug in gparted.

Now my questions are:

- Why do you want to resize the ESP partition?

- Is this important, so important, that I should create a template with an MSDOS partition table in order to work around this problem?

Beans
    Hidden!

This template

Code:
    mkusb_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_fat32_4GB_use-in-wins.img.xz
    worked for me with the Lubuntu Groovy daily iso file dated 2020-09-14.

Today I tested with the current daily Lubuntu Groovy dated 2020-09-20, and it works too, both in BIOS mode and UEFI mode. See the attached file.

Beans
    Distro

Not so important. I was just doing some trial and error experimenting. This was just a curiosity I had never noticed before.

Both mkusb_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_fat32_4GB_use-in-wins.img.xz and mkusb_grub-boot-template-for-uefi-n-bios_fat32_4GB_use-in-wins_2020-09-07.img.xz are working for me in BIOS mode with groovy-desktop-amd64(200910).iso. In UEFI mode I either got the initramfs unpacking error or the skip to internal drive. I will try do download the latest daily tonight.

Beans
    Hidden!

mkusb version 12.6.2, 12.6.3, 12.6.4

- mkusb 12.6.2
    . dus & dus-*; variable font and window size of zenity
    .. new function: p_zensize where msiz percent sets the size
    - mkusb 12.6.3
    . mkusb-plug: mkusb-sedd: puer, puer0:
    .. Workaround because of bug:
    .. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1895329
    - mkusb 12.6.4
    . added manual size for zenity font and window: p_zensize,
    .. new function p_zen_siz_select, new file "$HOME/.mkusb/fontsave", p_starter
    ... (new menu entry to manage the size of zenity windows and xterm console)
    .. dus-persistent & dus-home-backup: p_zensize
    .. mkusb-start & guidus.desktop: variable font in xterm

Improvement in version 12.6.2

Automatic logic in mkusb-dus to get a suitable text size and window size in high resolution screens, greater than 1920x1080.

Details about font size for high resolution: The default font in monitors with 2560x1440 or 3840x2160 pixels may be too small in Ubuntu Desktop and the Ubuntu family flavours.

In Ubuntu 20.04.x LTS with Gnome desktop environment you can use gnome-tweak-tool and increase the default fonts from 11 to 16, which should make things nice. This is matched by the automatic logic in mkusb-dus. (However, if you use the shortcut by the Ubuntu settings tool and set '200%', mkusb-dus will believe that the font is still too small, and make the windows (and font, that it can control) very large.)

Improvement in version 12.6.3

Workaround because of Bug #1895329: The partition for persistence with ext file system is created by mkusb-sedd in mkusb-plug (instead of expecting it to be created automatically as in Ubuntu 20.04.x LTS).

Improvement in version 12.6.4

In mkusb-dus version 12.6.4 control of font and window size for the xterm console is added and for zenity it is improved. If you use the the Ubuntu Settings tool and select 'Scale 200%', or 'Fractional scaling' the automatic logic of mkusb-dus will believe that the font is still too small, and make the zenity windows (and font, that it can control) very large.

In this case you can select 'manage Zenity window and font size' from the starter menu of dus (mkusb-dus), and then select 'Fixed size of zenity windows and fonts' from the submenu. You will probably be satisfied with the default font size, but you can increase the size if you wish.

There are more details at Font size for high resolution.

Unstable 1: You get/update this new version of mkusb from the unstable PPA via the following commands

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository universe     # this line only for standard Ubuntu

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/unstable
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb           # to install
    # sudo apt full-upgrade          # upgrade to current version (with all other upgrades), only for installed systems

sudo apt install mkusb guidus dus mkusb-common  # to upgrade all mkusb basic components including dus

sudo apt install usb-pack-efi    # for persistent live drives that work in UEFI and BIOS mode with 32-bit iso files
    You get only the version dus (alone or with guidus) via one of the following commands (if you don't care about mkusb-11, mkusb-nox, mkusb-bas, mkusb-plug)

Code:
    sudo apt install dus
    sudo apt install guidus
    You get only the version mkusb-plug via [the update command and] the following command,

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb-plug
    Alternative way to get mkusb: There are tarballs at

- help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/gui/tarball with only dus and guidus (mkusb version 12),

- help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/plug with only mkusb-plug.

Stable: mkusb version 12.6.3 is in the stable PPA. The policy is to test mkusb for a long time and in several environments before it is uploaded to the stable PPA (unless there are minor tweaks or bug-fixes).

You get/update this version via the following commands

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository universe      # this line only for standard Ubuntu

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/ppa
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb            # to install
    # sudo apt full-upgrade           # upgrade to current version (with all other upgrades), only for installed systems

sudo apt install usb-pack-efi     # for persistent live drives that work in UEFI and BIOS mode with 32-bit iso files
    You get only the version dus (alone or with guidus) via one of the following commands (if you don't care about mkusb-11, mkusb-nox, mkusb-bas)

Code:
    sudo apt install dus
    sudo apt install guidus
    You get only the version mkusb-plug via [the update command and] the following command,

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb-plug
    Usually there is drive space enough to install all the following mkusb packages explicitly:

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mkusb guidus mkusb-plug usb-pack-efi

Please notice that if you have already installed mkusb-plug or dus/guidus from a tarball, you had better remove that version when you install via PPA. The advantage with the PPA version is that it gets updated/upgraded automatically along with other program packages that are installed from the Ubuntu repositories.
    Last edited by sudodus; September 27th, 2020 at 01:17 PM. Reason: details about font size for high resolution; 12.6.4 unstable, 12.6.3 ppa (stable)

Beans
    Distro

Mkusb Program Installer
    For installing programs without the need for internet.

Required:

Computer(s) with no Internet access, (Target computer).

Access to computer with Internet access.

USB drive.

Procedure:

- Create a Persistent USB install using mkusb.

- Install Synaptic on the USB. "sudo apt install synaptic".

- Open "Software and Updates" / "Ubuntu Software" confirm everything checked except "Source code" and "Cdrom...", Close and Reload.

- In Synaptic search for the program you want to install, select the main program and click "Mark for Installation" or "Mark for Complete Installation".

- Open Files in Synaptic and click "Generate package download script". Save results in it's own folder as "newprogram.sh" where newprogram is the programs name. Do not press "Apply".

- In Terminal cd to the newprogram folder and run "sudo chmod +x newprogram.sh" then run the script "./newprogram.sh". (This may create a bunch of .deb files inside the folder)

- Boot the Target drive and copy the newprogram package folder to the Downloads folder of the Target drive.

- In Terminal cd to the newprogram folder and run "sudo dpkg -i *".

The program and it's dependencies should now be installed.

Beans
    Hidden!

@ C.S.Cameron,

Thanks for these instructions for installing programs to a computer without [an own connection to the] internet

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm doing a BIOS update, instructions at https://www.dell.com/support/article...onment?lang=en . As it is an older computer (pre 2015) and I boot into Legacy mode (not UEFI) I'm following the steps at section 3 and 4 - https://www.dell.com/support/article...eStorageDevice

UNetbootin keeps on wanting me to 'mount' the USB, plus it doesn't give the option /dev/sdb1 , even though a mount command displays the usb mounted at /dev/sdb1

Can I simply use mkusb to correctly format the usb and then copy the BIOS as an EXE ??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So I used mkusb to do a live ISO of FreeDos, however cannot copy the EXE for the BIOS onto the usb, as it gives me a 'read only' errors. Have tried copying with 'sudo', same problems. The problem was that there was no room left on the ISO, plus permission errors. Any attempts to use 'UNetbootin' resulted in the usb drive not being detected, despite the fact a mount command showed that it was clearly mounted.

Installed isomaster, and added the EXE file to the ISO, then used mkusb to create a bootable ISO on the usb. It looks okay, the extra file is there now. Now to do the renoot and update the BIOS (gulp).
    Last edited by oygle; October 17th, 2020 at 05:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

@oygle,

I'm glad you found a way to run FreeDOS. But I think there is an easier way:

Download FD12FULL.zip from

www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/

Extract it and use mkusb (mkusb-dus) directly on the image file to flash it to a USB pendrive,

Code:
    unzip FD12FULL.zip
    dus FD12FULL.img

I tested that it can boot my Dell Precision M4800 (in BIOS mode).

After booting I selected language and did not install it: selected 'No, return to DOS'. That way I had a running system booted from the USB drive.

There is a FAT16 file system, where you can add files, so when connected to a computer with Ubuntu or Windows, you can copy your EXE file into it, and then boot and update the BIOS.

Code:
    $ LANG=C sudo parted /dev/sdc p
    Model: JetFlash Transcend 8GB (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdc: 7902MB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
     1      32,3kB  537MB  537MB  primary  fat16        boot
    If the free space is too small for the file(s) that you want to use, it should be possible to use FD12LITE.zip instead, which has only the most necessary tools. After increasing the size of the FAT16 partition to 511 MiB with gparted, there will be lots of free space.

Another alternative is to create another FAT16 partition (not exceeding 512 MiB) to store the files.

Code:
    $ lsblk -o name,fstype,label,size /dev/sdc
    NAME   FSTYPE LABEL     SIZE
    sdc                     7,4G
    ├─sdc1 vfat   FD-SETUP  512M
    └─sdc2 vfat   STORAGE   511M

$ LANG=C sudo parted /dev/sdc p
    Model: JetFlash Transcend 8GB (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdc: 7902MB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags: