Thread: please help - error when updating, E: dpkg was interrupted

Beans

please help - error when updating, E: dpkg was interrupted

hey wheni go to do updates i am getting E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

can someone help me i am new to this computer linux and am not realgood with computers in the first place i need to no what to do to fix this prob please thank u i have linux 11
    Last edited by philinux; September 19th, 2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Title changed

Beans

Lightbulb Re: please help

When i update i simply open my update manager and if i have updates i click install

try that

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: please help

Ubuntu keeps a list of the software packages on your machine. When we run Updates the operating system first of all compares the list of packages on the machine with the list on the servers (repositories) and it identifies the packages that can be updated because they have been modified.

In your case that package list is broken because the process of comparing package lists was interrupted.

You now need to open a terminal and run the command. You will be asked to put in your password. As you type you will not see the password being printed out on the screen. This is for security reasons. After typing in your password just press enter and see what happens.

If all goes well you can then run Update Manager or whatever it is called in Ubuntu 11.04 or 11.10.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; September 19th, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rougittie View Post
    hey wheni go to do updates i am getting E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

can someone help me i am new to this computer linux and am not realgood with computers in the first place i need to no what to do to fix this prob please thank u i have linux 11
    You obviously didn't pay attention to the error:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    Run

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome.

Open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and paste this in, as the error tells you to do:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    For future reference, please use descriptive thread titles to help us help you. Titles like 'help' generally get overlooked.

* Update: Cortman beat me to it. +1, yea, like Cman says ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Open terminal. Than type:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    It will ask for your password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and paste this in,
    Hi, the last three poster have given you the right advice, so I wont do that again.

Do you know how to open a terminal?

When you have a terminal open, it is a good idea to copy the commands people suggest here and paste them in to avoid making typing errors. The trick to that is that you need to do ctrl+shift+v to paste into the terminal, not just ctrl+v like in most programs. Same for copying: you need ctrl+shift+c to copy highlighted text out of the terminal to, for instance, paste it here to show what error messages you are getting.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post

When you have a terminal open, it is a good idea to copy the commands people suggest here and paste them in to avoid making typing errors. The trick to that is that you need to do ctrl+shift+v to paste into the terminal, not just ctrl+v like in most programs. Same for copying: you need ctrl+shift+c to copy highlighted text out of the terminal to, for instance, paste it here to show what error messages you are getting.
    Or just use the mouse to highlight text and right click copy and paste as normal.
    Last edited by philinux; September 19th, 2012 at 02:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Or just use the mouse to highlight text and right click copy and paste as normal.
    Ah, didn't know that. Thanks Phil.
    Last edited by audiomick; September 23rd, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Or just swipe the text to be copied, then paste into a terminal by hitting the middle mouse button once.