Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to register manually an unregistered pci network card

Beans

Re: How to register manually an unregistered pci network card

Thanks.

No identical PC. It's just that we boot this PC with Hardy (dual with windos, which is used very very very seldom ... what for??) and we boot other distros from live CDs. So, unless I clarify, the outputs are from Hardy where the wifi works perfectly as it does with almost all distros.

$ lspci -nn | grep 0280
    05:04.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection [8086:4220] (rev 05)

look this outputs using Ubuntu Hardy where this wifi card can be used with no problem:
    All the ipw2200's are different. But how can it work well in almost all distros if it is corrupted?

Note: I have the same md5sums for the firmware files in .../2.6.24-30-generic/
    Last edited by HotForLinux; April 19th, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I'm getting more confused as we go! Maybe I'm getting too old. Where, exactly, does it NOT work? Maybe I don't understand the problem.
    t ain't unregisterd,
    it's broken.

Linux can't read firmware info from it and it's useless if it can't.
    I have had perfectly operating 2200s and 2915s in Linux as recently as 11.10 a few weeks ago. I only got rid of it because the motherboard failed and I was looking for an excuse to get a newer Thinkpad. This statement may be true only for roelforg, but not for me.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

I understand it is confusing because I started talking about the problem in a distro based in ubuntu which boots but the wlan is left aside, so I posted the error lines from the output of dmesg after booting it; and I said that the same wifi, in the same PC (not an equivalent one), works perfectly well with other distros, but it only fails, and it always does, with a couple among all the ones we have tried. This, I think, proves that the wifi card is not broken but that the problem is of a different kind. Then I posted the output of certain commands executed in Hardy (because it is easier to copy them and post them here) to see if we could determine what wifi we are dealing with.

I thought what is the use of examining the firmware in a distro that boots ok (Hardy, installed in HD), but I did not know what were you after.
    I will post the output of the firmware commands using the LiveCD, ok?
    Last edited by HotForLinux; April 19th, 2012 at 10:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I thought what is the use of examining the firmware in a distro that boots ok
    Exactly, but it's also useless to post any diagnostics from a computer that works. If I want to see the modinfo, the firmware, etc. I have several computers of my own.
    I did not know what were you after.
    I am trying to see what's wrong or missing on the system that's not working.
    I will post the output of the firmware commands using the LiveCD, ok?
    Yes. Do you mind telling us what it is?

Here are some things to look at:
    Code:
    modinfo ipw2200
    See what firmware it wants and where it expects to find it:
    Code:
    $ modinfo ipw2200
    filename:       /lib/modules/3.0.0-17-generic-pae/updates/cw-3.1/ipw2200.ko
    firmware:       ipw2200-bss.fw
    firmware:       ipw2200-sniffer.fw
    firmware:       ipw2200-ibss.fw
    Check dmesg for firmware messages:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ipw
    See if the firmware exists where the module expects it. With no further data in modinfo, firmware is expected to be in /lib/firmware and in older distributions, /lib/firmware/<kernel_version>
    Code:
    ls /lib/firmware | grep ipw2200
    ls /lib/firmware/`uname -r` | grep ipw2200
    Those tickmarks are on the same key with ~ on my US keyboard. `uname -r` is a quick way to ask the system for your running kernel version.

A number of distros, Arch comes to mind, omit firmware that's commonly installed by default in Ubuntu. Arch, Gentoo and Slackware are all distros for guys who walk eight miles to work and don't use air-conditioning!

No more Hardy, please.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

After Booting the live CD, I executed the following commands and copied the significant lines:

Code:
    $ lsmod | grep ipw 
    ipw2200               140278  0 
    libipw                 45395  1 ipw2200
    cfg80211              160399  2 ipw2200,libipw
    lib80211               13683  2 ipw2200,libipw

$ lspci -v| egrep -i "ipw|wifi|wire"
    05:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)
        Kernel modules: ipw2200

$ lshw -c network
      *-network
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
           vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 10
           serial: 00:a0:d1:bb:ae:17
           capacity: 100MB/s
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.30 firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
           resources: irq:11 memory:cc000000-cc003fff ioport:c000(size=256)

*-network UNCLAIMED
           description: Network controller
           product: PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 4
           bus info: pci@0000:05:04.0
           version: 05
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm cap_list
           configuration: latency=128 maxlatency=24 mingnt=3
           resources: memory:b800b000-b800bfff

$ ls /lib/firmware/ 
    iwlwifi-1000-3.ucode
    iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode
    iwlwifi-100-5.ucode
    iwlwifi-3945-2.ucode
    shows no files nor dirs called "ipw*", but I missed looking inside the subdirectories:
    2.6.32-28-generic
    should I?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

but I missed looking inside the subdirectories:
    2.6.32-28-generic
    should I?
    Please look here:
    Code:

Beans

A number of distros, Arch comes to mind, omit firmware that's commonly installed by default in Ubuntu. Arch, Gentoo and Slackware are all distros for guys who walk eight miles to work and don't use air-conditioning!
    Hahaha!! ... I'm learning a lot!!!

No more Hardy, please.
    Ok. The output of dmesg in the original post is from the system in the LiveCD, not Hardy, and I'll post the other results later and after checking if you ask for something else in the list.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

From the not-working live CD only, please.
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ipw
    sudo updatedb
    locate ipw2200-bss.fw
    updatedb will take a few moments, please be patient. If the firmware is missing, simply transfer it from another system on a USB key and drop it into /lib/firmware and /lib/firmware/`uname -r`. Unload and reload the driver:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r ipw2200
    sudo modprobe ipw2200
    So which distro is it?

Beans

Perfect!!

The firmware files were nowhere. The only reference I found was this broken link.

# ls -l /dev/.udev/firmware-missing/
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 67 2012-04-19 22:15 ipw2200-bss.fw -> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:05:04.0/firmware/0000:05:04.0

but copying the ones I use in Hardy and reloading the module, as you told me, worked perfectly. In addition, I understand a little better how this works. Thanks a lot, Chili555!

So... during the boot process, I don't know how, the system detects the hw, and according to that loads certain modules. The command modinfo tells us the location in the file system of the module whose name we give as a parameter (which should normally be in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers) and the firmware files needed by the module to work (which should be in /lib/firmware or inside the kernel-in-use directory) -- I thought the firmware was inside the devices and read by the drivers!--. Then, reloading the module we force it to fetch and read again those files that it needs to work.

Should I post all the results just for the record?

My problem now is how to put the firmware files inside the LiveCD because when I mount its corresponding ISO file, everything is inside a squashfs file and I do not know how to work with it.
    Last edited by HotForLinux; April 20th, 2012 at 03:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

So... during the boot process, I don't know how, the system detects the hw, and according to that loads certain modules. The command modinfo tells us the location in the file system of the module whose name we give as a parameter and the files needed by the module to work (I thought the firmware was inside the devices and read by the drivers!). Then, reloading the module we force it to fetch and read again the files it needs to work.
    Pretty close to exactly. modinfo is actually a human readable extract of useful information from the actual driver. Most of us don't read python or c++.

Some drivers don't require firmware; viz:
    Code:
    $ modinfo r8187se
    filename:       /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8187se/r8187se.ko
    description:    Linux driver for Realtek RTL8180 / RTL8185 WiFi cards
    author:         Andrea Merello <andreamrl@tiscali.it>
    license:        GPL
    author:         Copyright (C) 2004 Intel Corporation <jketreno@linux.intel.com>
    description:    802.11 data/management/control stack
    description:    HostAP crypto
    author:         Jouni Malinen
    <snip>
    srcversion:     8F6B9881D2F05C4A11E407D
    alias:          pci:v000010ECd00008199sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    depends:        eeprom_93cx6
    staging:        Y
    intree:         Y
    vermagic:       3.2.0-23-generic-pae SMP mod_unload modversions 686 
    parm:           ifname:string
    parm:           devname: Net interface name, wlan%d=default
    parm:           hwseqnum: Try to use hardware 802.11 header sequence numbers. Zero=default (int)
    parm:           hwwep: Try to use hardware WEP support. Still broken and not available on all cards (int)
    parm:           channels: Channel bitmask for specific locales. NYI (int)
    ^^ See, no firmware is mentioned.
    Should I post all the results just for the record?
    Nope. The driver genies out there see it, and probably faster than I did!
    My problem now is how to put the firmware files inside the LiveCD because when I mount the ISO everything is inside a squashfs file.
    Some pretty advanced ideas come to mind. You might Google up 'mount -o loop' or else remastersys.

I'm glad it's working.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12