View Poll Results: What is the best release up to Precise?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Precise

38 35.85%
  • Oneiric

9 8.49%
  • Natty

3 2.83%
  • Maverick

14 13.21%
  • Lucid

23 21.70%
  • Karmic

4 3.77%
  • Jaunty

7 6.60%
  • Intrepid

0 0%
  • Hardy

3 2.83%
  • Gutsy or earlier

5 4.72%

Thread: Best Ubuntu Release

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Smile Best Ubuntu Release

Unfortunately, the poll oly lets me have 10 options, so I can only go back to Hardy, but what has been your favorite Ubuntu release so far?

Beans

Re: Best Ubuntu Release

Up to now, the best for me has been Oneiric. I have high hopes that the release version of Precise will be even better, and I think it will be.

Right now, I have two problems that keep me from saying Precise. 1) Huge memory footprint. My system uses about 760 MB immediately after startup, with no unusual added services. 2) I have not been able to print to my Canon printer, which works just fine with Oneiric and my son's Apple Macbook Pro (OSX Lion). I can successfully install the driver, but it still does not actually print anything.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Lucid Lynx, all the way!

Light on resources, (relatively speaking) very configurable, it was the first release that worked on all my various computers, robust. It's everything that I'll ever want in an OS. Period.

I started with 6.06 and have tried all the newer ones including the current 12.04 beta. Nothing comes close for me.

It's "simple, but polished". That's ideal. We're seeing too much of "polished, but bloated" these days.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinnerd View Post
    Lucid Lynx, all the way!

Light on resources, (relatively speaking) very configurable, it was the first release that worked on all my various computers, robust. It's everything that I'll ever want in an OS. Period.

I started with 6.06 and have tried all the newer ones including the current 12.04 beta. Nothing comes close for me.

It's "simple, but polished". That's ideal. We're seeing too much of "polished, but bloated" these days.
    Well put!

My favourite is Maverick, though to be honest, I haven't tried all the releases ― only Dapper, Jaunty and Maverick. Similar to Lucid, I feel Maverick is lean yet polished, and very solid.

Beans

I've only used Natty & Oneiric, neither of which were LTS. Well wait... I've got 10.04 in a VM that I rarely open, so I don't think that really counts. I'll wait to reserve my judgement until I give 12.04 a proper try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

12.04 for me! Upgraded last week from 11.10 to the 12.04 beta and its far more stable than my 11.10 was.