View Poll Results: What is the best release up to Precise?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Precise

38 35.85%
  • Oneiric

9 8.49%
  • Natty

3 2.83%
  • Maverick

14 13.21%
  • Lucid

23 21.70%
  • Karmic

4 3.77%
  • Jaunty

7 6.60%
  • Intrepid

0 0%
  • Hardy

3 2.83%
  • Gutsy or earlier

5 4.72%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Ubuntu Release

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Best Ubuntu Release

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    My first was 6.06. Used Pure Ubuntu until 10.04. Changes to super OS at 10.04 . Started to have issues with updates. Changed to Zorin. I currently use UE 3.01 as my primary and Zorin as back up. I have tried many others , among them Mint, Bodhi, and several others. All had +s and - for me .

So UE and zorin seem for now to fill the bill.
    What is UE?
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans

7.04 - Feisty Fawn - was the first Ubuntu release I installed, liked, and kept. I would call it the best, but it's probably not a very objective judgement. I have fond memories of it, and whatever didn't work has been forgotten.

My first impression on 7.04 was that it was ugly as hell, and I got away from brown as quickly as possible. By 8.04, Hardy Heron, I'd changed my mind about the color scheme, and actually liked the default look. It was an acquired taste, I guess. I don't particularly like the new look.

Feelings aside, I guess the most stable and reliable Unbuntu release I've used was 10.04, Lucid Lynx. Everything just worked somehow. That was nice. Boring, but nice. I haven't liked anything since Unity/Gnome-shell.
    Don't eff with The Cult...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Maverick Meerkat

Everything worked hunky dory and it had a kewl name !!

Beans

For me either Breezy Badger or Dapper drake. I'll say Breezy because that was my first, it got me hooked and i liked the boot screen. Now I'm torn between Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

i liked jaunty jackalope
    used jaunty, lucid,precise
    only started with precise in the past couple days, and had do do a lot of system mods to get my self happy with it
    seems to require more and more mods with every release
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

12.04! So far I love Precise and the Unity Desktop!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Maverick to Natty to Oneiric were all rock solid for me; Regardless what DE i chose, or the amount of DE sessions i ultimately added.

12.04 though, has major issues on the same hardware i have used since 10.04...
    Everyone who is saying Precise is the best release, must have spot on hardware or something. Though i have heard that Ati drivers/cards have been a cause of this, so i am looking into a Nvidia.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'd have to say Feisty Fawn was the best in terms of how much it improved on previous releases. It was always a hassle to manually install the w32codecs to get videos playing perfectly.

That and installing video drivers to get beryl or compiz running was also a pain. I remember breaking X so many times in doing so, lol. And I hated turning to third party programs like Automatix and Easy Ubuntu to get basic stuff like this done, so when Feisty Fawn came out with a built-in codec finder, the restricted drivers manager, and an option to enable compiz, I was totally impressed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lucid worked very well with few hassles.

Precise has basic issues like the speaker volume being ridiculously loud after boot up. Volume control has to be adjusted to reset the levels.

Printing to an older HP most often wastes 4 pages printing header info before the page intended actually prints. This is a bug and has not been fixed yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'd have to say Lucid but I've only tried 3 really, Hardy, Lucid, and now Precise. Oh wait, I did work my way up through Intrepid, Jaunty, and Karmic in an upgrade from Hardy to Lucid. I really wanted to like Precise, but it's too different and hasn't proven to be very configurable. Fortunately alternative DEs can be installed to make it better.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast