Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    In a new guide I described a more convenient way to figure out screensaver options through xscreensaver; check this out:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=198809
    yep I mentioned that at the end of my previous post

Beans

Thanks for the edit; to remind again, I recommend that everyone check out both guides and decide which one to use for themselves.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Re: HOWTO: Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

Just if anyone is interested in a mouse "hot-spot" for Xscreensaver---I missed using Brightside's hot-spot to turn on the screensaver (it won't work as "start screensaver" without editing deeper that I want to)--So I went to "custom action" for the mouse corner I wanted & put in-- xscreensaver-command -activate in the "entering region" box--make sure you tic the "terminate above application" checkbox too
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans

Hey,

Thanks for the guide. I went with replacing gnome-screensaver rather than working around its limitations, since I'm used to xscreensaver-demo and don't care about screen locking. But I have run into a problem... Totem(-xine) doesn't disable xscreensaver when watching movies fullscreen. It did disable gnome-screensaver properly, and I recall it disabling xscreensaver in Breezy.

I haven't been able to find anything in Totem's help or man pages relating to the screensaver.

The obvious way to get it working is just to use the gnome-screensaver/xscreensaver-demo combo, but I thought I'd ask first if anyone knows how to get Totem to disable xscreensaver.

Thanks,
    Ben

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by benp View Post
    Hey,

Thanks for the guide. I went with replacing gnome-screensaver rather than working around its limitations, since I'm used to xscreensaver-demo and don't care about screen locking. But I have run into a problem... Totem(-xine) doesn't disable xscreensaver when watching movies fullscreen. It did disable gnome-screensaver properly, and I recall it disabling xscreensaver in Breezy.

I haven't been able to find anything in Totem's help or man pages relating to the screensaver.

The obvious way to get it working is just to use the gnome-screensaver/xscreensaver-demo combo, but I thought I'd ask first if anyone knows how to get Totem to disable xscreensaver.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Hey! Who are you!?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I installed xscreensaver on my sis's laptop, and most of the hacks are showing as 'not installed'... any suggestions?
    So... a 1337 java programmer walks into a bar...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ayoli View Post
    in each desktop file you'll find a exec line, for example /usr/share/gnome-screensaver/themes/antspotlight.desktop got a line:
    I guess most of screensavers got their manpage.
    so, it's not a very intuitive method, that's one of the reasons why I prefer xscreensaver (the other is the fade potion ).
    edit: 23meg as made a guide for that.
    regards.
    Hi All....I finally got back here...
    and I'm wondering why i can't, "apt-get xscreensaver"?
    Are ya switching repo's? One's for Breezy?
    23meg ;; Thanks for the edit; to remind again, I recommend that everyone check out both guides and decide which one to use for themselves.
    I'll check them again, I notice you say this is for Dapper, but I get::
    Package xscreensaver is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
    xscreensaver-data
    E: Package xscreensaver has no installation candidate
    Ya mentioned getting 'data' also, but idonno...
    So, different source...or, well- I'll check what I got to be sure.
    Thanks All...!!

Beans

guide worked perfectly. I have a dell inspiron 9300 and was searching for a way to turn off the LCD. Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    - You get the standard xscreensaver unlock dialog when unlocking the screen instead of the Dapper one, which detracts from the overall polish a bit, if you mind such things.
    I installed the version from Breezy, which looks pretty nice. It is available here. After you install it you should lock the version in Synaptic so it doesn't just get updated again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you for the little guide. I've found these pros for xsceensaver
    1) GL screensaver work smother
    2) Xscreensaver has the preview bottom
    3) Configuration possibilities
    4) Fade in/out option

But I have also one problem: some of the screensavers present in /usr/lib/xscreensaver (that have a correpondent xml config file in /usr/share/xscreensaver) aren't showed in the xscreensaver-demo list.

Why? Have you had this problem as well? Is there a work-around?

Thank you in advance!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Found (the) solution: unfortunately I had to manually add a line for each screensaver in ~/.xscreensaver

Bye

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast