Beans

Re: Unity poster (feedback please)

I like it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Very good poster indeed. Wish I had seen it when I first saw Unity.

I'm slightly worried that your LTS people might all find it an enormous jump from the Gnome 2 in 10.04 to the Unity of 12.04, regardless how good it is turning out to be. If there is anyone who just can't handle it, are they going to get the choice of using gnome_panel (pretty much the same as Gnome 2 in 10.04)? I sometimes switch back to it and it is good to have the choice.

Will the installation also include MyUnity so that things like Show Desktop and hide the launcher are available? The poster might mention it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Great Work, This is a must have for all Unity beginners.

i'd like to translate it to french, will to share the odt source ?

Beans

I liked it so much I shared it with the Unity design team:

https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-design/msg08978.html

I hope you don't mind.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Its good. Provides a good amount of info on unity.
    I will let my dad read this. Hope it helps him
    Thanks.

Beans

Great job!

Perfect for introducing my mom to Ubuntu 12.04.

Don't have any feedback yet because I am too used to the interface but my mom may provide that once she starts using Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

very nice work.

hey i think you can also help with the ubuntu desktop guide, or documentation team.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello All

Thanks for feedback once again...

@freechelmi:Thats wonderful. Link to ODP below, but I'll be having a rethink on Sunday, so I would not do a lot of work yet unless you want to 'fork' the poster. I would suggest perhaps using the French terminology found in the Ubuntu Desktop Guide for your installation if possible, and it might be worth taking on board Mr Picklesworth's point about 'menu bar' instead of 'top bar'. It strikes me that you may need to re-do a few of the screen shots as well so they are in French. I'm using the 'default' appearance as it ties in with Canonical 'branding'. I'll be using a CC licence on this thing when its finished, so share ODT, do what you want &c, but can you not directly attribute your work to me? 'Modified from' or 'Based on' is great, or just don't worry about attribution at all.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8403291/1204-poster-3.odp

@JHCKX: I'll reword the Dash section and emphasise that you launch apps not found in the Launcher through the Dash by searching, Thanks for heads up

@Paddy Landau: The windows key: Ubuntu Desktop Guide uses the word 'meta'. Apple keyboard (at least on Ruth's old iBook) has the Alt key where the Windows key is, and an Apple or Option key next to the space bar. I'm seriously thinking of resorting to small photographs in version 3 of the poster. The keyboard thing is odd, I've checked on two computers and several different plug-in keyboards and Alt-F10 just does the same as F10 on all combinations. I'm doing a fresh install in a bit I think.

@jerrylamos and @JHCKX: This isn't about what I like, its about what people out there may have to contend with when the 10.04 -> 12.04 switchover takes place in each site that uses Ubuntu on client machines. Me? I'll probably shuffle back onto dwm/dmenu once 12.04 is bedded in. Imagine doing a poster for dwm It would be like that Gnome 4 joke on April 1.

@ld114: I don't support anyone except me, I'm just finding ways of using what skills I have to head off what I think is going to be a lot of noise when 12.04 gets released!

Beans
    Distro

Paddy - I have a friend who is a mac user and long ago he called it splat for lack of a better name. Now every mac owner he knows calls it that. I think it is funny that it really doesn't have a real distinct name.
    HP g72t icore3 with intel graphics and broadcom 4313 wireless running 13.04unity, Ubuntu GNOME updated to 13.10 and a 13.10 unity. Plus using older desktop machine running 12.04 Lubuntu with nvidia geforce mx400.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lonniehenry View Post
    Paddy - I have a friend who is a mac user and long ago he called it splat for lack of a better name. Now every mac owner he knows calls it that. I think it is funny that it really doesn't have a real distinct name.
    That is a lovely name. I have just discovered that it is called the "Command" key.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast