(Dash) leads to the home
    'lens'. Type part of the title
    of an app or a file or a music
    track to find it."

has the arrow line going straight into the final word "it"

a small detail, but worth mentioning for something precise

Beans

Re: Unity poster (feedback please)

A common issue with new users is that they cannot find easily the installed applications, in the groups that we used to have with GNOME Panel (Accessories, Internet, System, etc).

The way to do this with Unity is to
    1. click on the Ubuntu button (Dash)
    2. at the bottom-center, click on the Apps view
    3. finally, click on Filtered by so that you can view the available groups of applications.

Thanks for the poster!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello All

@TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS: OK, I'll try that later on for the 4.1 bugfix version. Anyone is welcome to access the ODT and reuse or change the material for their purposes/audience

@Paddy Landau: ODT file _should_ be ok now for any version of LO oOo as I have replaced the SVG that was causing trouble with a screen grab of the Ubuntu Button aka Dash. I think that the current state of the poster is about it now. It is a day's work so far off and on, plus all of your attention and replies.

@cariboo907: there is now a permanent link to the PDF at spreadbuntu put there by Alan Pope. I can't verify the link from within the College firewall so I'll make sure it works and post it back here later on tonight.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by simosx View Post
    A common issue with new users is that they cannot find easily the installed applications, in the groups that we used to have with GNOME Panel (Accessories, Internet, System, etc).

The way to do this with Unity is to
    1. click on the Ubuntu button (Dash)
    2. at the bottom-center, click on the Apps view
    3. finally, click on Filtered by so that you can view the available groups of applications.

Thanks for the poster!
    Personally I just hit Super and type the function I'm trying to find information about or part of the name. That comes from me having used a dmenu/dwm based desktop previously, and Quicksilver on Mac OS before that. I don't do application menus especially.

You are the second person to suggest this, so Version 5 will have an extra column in the table for this purpose. That will be in time for 12.04.1 as I'm heading into exam mode now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you, Keith.

The revised button is in grey, and the problem that TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS raised is still present.

I appreciate you have to do your exams, so I have fixed those two points.

I'll post them here as soon as I can get them uploaded somewhere to share.

EDIT: Here they are (version 5).

Last edited by Paddy Landau; April 25th, 2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Added links for downloading
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by keithpeter View Post
    Hello All

@TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS: OK, I'll try that later on for the 4.1 bugfix version. Anyone is welcome to access the ODT and reuse or change the material for their purposes/audience

@Paddy Landau: ODT file _should_ be ok now for any version of LO oOo as I have replaced the SVG that was causing trouble with a screen grab of the Ubuntu Button aka Dash. I think that the current state of the poster is about it now. It is a day's work so far off and on, plus all of your attention and replies.

@cariboo907: there is now a permanent link to the PDF at spreadbuntu put there by Alan Pope. I can't verify the link from within the College firewall so I'll make sure it works and post it back here later on tonight.
    FYI, I went to spreadbuntu.org and put Unity poster in the search thing, and up came your poster. It is not yet featured on the home page. You go to the "get" page and there's a search tool there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    FYI, I went to spreadbuntu.org and put Unity poster in the search thing, and up came your poster. It is not yet featured on the home page. You go to the "get" page and there's a search tool there.
    Hello sgage

That's great

@cariboo907

Below is the URL to the page where people can download the pdf or odt and see a screen grab. If this could be used in any sticky about 12.04 that would be ace

http://spreadubuntu.org/en/material/...re/1204-poster

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's still the one with the arrow going inside the "it". Did you see the correction that I offered?
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    That's still the one with the arrow going inside the "it". Did you see the correction that I offered?
    Hello Paddy

I certainly did, thanks for that.

Alas, I don't seem to be able to upload to spreadubuntu, so a Canonical staff member did that for me. I'll have to ask for the modified one to replace the PDF and ODT that are currently there.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Keith,

First and foremost, this is a great poster !

But, there seems to be an inconsistency in the bottom table.

In the column marked 'Add and remove apps from Launcher' you provide details on how to add and remove apps, but this seems to clash with the row design on how to do this either by mouse or keyboard.

Presumably there is no method for adding an app to the launcher using solely the keyboard (?)
    'I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.'

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast