Thread: Update manager icon in taskbar

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Update manager icon in taskbar

I've been waiting for this to be fixed in Oneiric, but I haven't seen a fix in Oneiric or Precise either. I figured I'd ask here first, before going to the larger community -

When updated packages are available, the Update Manager icon shows up in the left taskbar. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to use this icon to actually show the Update Manager program to see what the updates are. The right-click menu for the icon does show "Install All" and a couple of other choices, but does not show the window for the Update Manager. Instead I must go to the Dash home icon and search for Update Manager to run the program so that I can see what updates are available and get a detail view of the download progress.

Has anyone else run into this issue and come up with a solution? TIA
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Update manager icon in taskbar

Try checking your other workspaces to make sure it didn't simply open on a different workspace. Also, when I see this, I can usually work around the problem by focusing a different application, then coming back to Update Manager.

They haven't enabled automatic update notifications yet in Precise, so I couldn't tell you if this is fixed there or not.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your response. Of course, you are right about Precise - I've gotten so used to manually updating it in Vbox, I just took for granted it had the same issue. My bad.

However, in Oneiric I typically use 2 and sometimes 3 desktops - I have never been able to left-click on the Updates Available icon in the left taskbar to achieve any result on any desktop. The icon does appear at the proper time, and does display the correct number of updates available. However, I can find no left-click function for that icon.

I will continue to look for the Update icon next time it pops up so that I can get a snapshot to illustrate.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro

OK, this is weird. The "Updates Available" icon appeared in my left taskbar. As always, I left-clicked on the icon with absolutely no visible response on any of the desktops. I right-clicked on the icon and chose "Update Manager" expecting it to open a window with the Update Manger program to review my updates. Again, no visible response on any desktop. I opened the Screenshot program to be able to show what's going on, but of course if you right-click the "Updates Available" icon to open the menu then attempt to click the screenshot button, the right-click menu for the "Updates Available" icon closes before you can get a screenshot. Frustrating.

After all these gyrations, I left-clicked the little > on the left side of the "Updates Available" icon and the window for Update Manager suddenly opened. Unexpected.

I know I'm still learning Unity, but at this point I still don't know what to expect in the way of behavior from the "Updates Available" icon. Either I'm missing something basic or the GUI behavior is not yet logically developed. Advice welcomed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can have x seconds of delay in screenshot app.

Just open the screenshot app, and chose the delay.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MoebusNet View Post
    OK, this is weird. The "Updates Available" icon appeared in my left taskbar. As always, I left-clicked on the icon with absolutely no visible response on any of the desktops. I right-clicked on the icon and chose "Update Manager" expecting it to open a window with the Update Manger program to review my updates. Again, no visible response on any desktop. I opened the Screenshot program to be able to show what's going on, but of course if you right-click the "Updates Available" icon to open the menu then attempt to click the screenshot button, the right-click menu for the "Updates Available" icon closes before you can get a screenshot. Frustrating.

After all these gyrations, I left-clicked the little > on the left side of the "Updates Available" icon and the window for Update Manager suddenly opened. Unexpected.

I know I'm still learning Unity, but at this point I still don't know what to expect in the way of behavior from the "Updates Available" icon. Either I'm missing something basic or the GUI behavior is not yet logically developed. Advice welcomed.
    It is somewhat erratic. I'm hoping it's something that gets fixed soon. As for focusing it, you'll want to click on another application first, then click on the Update Manager icon again to bring it up.

Part of the problem is that they open the window up minimized (so as to be unobtrusive), but focused. Thus, it can't refocus it until you focus something else.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hope this helps..

Beans
    Distro

OK, thank you isantop, gandalf3, ubuntu27 and everyone. One last question, slightly off-topic. I took a screenshot of my desktop to illustrate this thread, but couldn't post it because the resolution and file size both exceeded what the forum allows. I haven't found any way to adjust those properties in Screenshot. I could take a screenshot of just a portion of the screen, but not the whole desktop. Any advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Shift+Print Screen will let you drag to select the area. You can also manually crop it from within shotwell.

Alternatively, you can try uploading it to an image hosting site like Imgur, then post a link to it.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

FYI, I encountered this on a non-System76 laptop. A bug was filed here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/898295

It seems that the behavior corrected itself for me, but I can't say if it was due to the instructions provided or an update that I did. Also, the print screen thing seemed to allow the Update Manager to popup if it got into the stuck state.

--P