Thread: Using Ubuntu for rescuing files

Beans

Using Ubuntu for rescuing files

Hi All

Recently my PC broke and now just boots up to a silly windows screen asking for a serial key.

i was wondering if i could use Ubuntu to boot my pc just so I can back up all the data and if so how do I go about doing this?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Will this work

I didnt get your issue properly .

If you're using Ubuntu ,you can backup your data . we have very good backup tools to help you .

fore more information on backup see this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Download Ubuntu, burn to disc and boot of the cd into the live version/try ubuntu. You should be able to browse throught the home folder to your HDD and data. Copy your data to an external drive and you should be ok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldbrijo View Post
    Download Ubuntu, burn to disc and boot of the cd into the live version/try ubuntu. You should be able to browse throught the home folder to your HDD and data. Copy your data to an external drive and you should be ok.
    I would burn to USB if I were OP, it's much faster and we don't actually know if OP has optical drive. But good advice though. Note that the computer must be able to boot of external media, otherwise it won't work. I found this the hard way after my Acer Aspire 5742 got infested with malware after my visiting father used it, and I could not boot into external media.
    Read my technology blog at: http://penguincampaigner.wordpress.com