Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totem vs VLC?

Beans

Totem vs VLC?

As a follow-up to my "Rhythmbox vs Tomahawk"-thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1953498) I have started thinking broader, and the fact that Totem is the default player in Ubuntu rather than VLC (which feels like the number one open source video player) seems like a mystery to me.

Are there any obvious reasons?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Totem vs VLC?

It's because VLC ships with codecs that Ubuntu is not allowed to ship with. That is why Totem is used. I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but this is one of the main reasons it's not shipped with Ubuntu
    Last edited by PhantomTurtle; April 9th, 2012 at 03:05 AM.

Beans

It's not difficult to replace default totem with vlc after installation.
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

PhantomTurtle's got it for the most part (however VLC *is* in universe now), but there are some other reasons:

* Totem is a part of GNOME, so it makes sense to use it as it's already integrated with many things.
    * VLC is not a GNOME app; it is Qt. However, Qt is being shipped on the default install now, so this may be a moot point.
    * Totem uses GStreamer, the main/default multimedia framework, which is also used by Rhythmbox and some other built-ins. VLC ships its own framework, which would take up space on-disc.
    * VLC + data is nearly 30 MB, while Totem is ~4 MB. Note that this doesn't include GStreamer, but even counting that in it isn't very large.

There have been efforts to make VLC default in the past (it seems to come up every cycle, but maybe I'm exaggerating) and they have largely failed due to the above issues. I really do love VLC, it's my video player of choice, but I don't see it happening.
    Last edited by jpeddicord; April 9th, 2012 at 03:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

For 'everyday use' Totem works. VLC has too many options in the menus to necessarily be a good fit for installing for your parents. Doesn't mean all parents, but in general. That said I have both installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Also VLC's UI doesn't match the rest of Ubuntu very well.

Beans

With VLC I can play everything

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Totem vs VLC?

Personally I use UMPlayer which in my opinion beats even VLC, and is open-source like Totem...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most of what I watch is Anime MKVs which are either 720 or 1080 with 10-bit encoding and embedded subtitles. Running the default player (which I gather is Totem), I get buttery smooth playback. Past experience (granted we're talking over a year ago) was that to get the same out of VLC took a fair bit of tweaking and configuring.

So I vote for the lazy option

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TenPlus1 View Post
    Personally I use UMPlayer which in my opinion beats even VLC, and is open-source like Totem...
    MPlayer (which UMPlayer is built on) used to be my player of choice but I have a pretty weak computer and lately I find that VLC has caught up to and even passed MPlayer in terms of performance and support for various formats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast