Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 11.0 F11 fulscreen shortcut problem

Beans

Unhappy Firefox 11.0 F11 fulscreen shortcut problem

I use lucid and I love it.
    Before the upgrade made available for Firefox 10, F11 key was exactly the same as View--> Fullscreen. Now F11 is not equal to View ---> Fullscreen.

View---> Fullscreen is Fullscreen (hides menu-add on-location-bookmark toolbars & window title bar).
    But F11 does only hide the title bar of Firefox window. Of course F11 was a very useful shortcut and of course not having a full screen is more preferable than going every time to View---> Fullscreen.

Can anyone enlighten me?

The same problem was mentioned in a dead thread
    ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1141724 )

I'm afraid I'm the second human on the internet having these isues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox 11.0 F11 fulscreen shortcut problem

Type about:config in the address bar to bring the advanced properties. Type browser.fullscreen.autohide in the filter, make sure the resulting preference is set to true. If not, double-click it.

If that doesn't solve the problem, start Firefox in safe mode:

Code:
    firefox -safe-mode
    If it works that way, then you have an extension preventing FF to enter fullscreen. It could be an extension bug or a feature you don't remember.

If you still can't get it to work, please post a screenshot of both conditions so I can take a look.

You could also try a clean profile:

Code:
    firefox -P

Beans

lovinglinux thank you very much

I tried all your suggestions but nothing.
    - The browser.fullscreen.autohide option had already a TRUE value
    - I tried firefox -safe-mode
    - I tried a new clean profile

In each attempt the same thing keeps happening. I don't believe there is a need for a screenshot, it is easy to describe:

1. F11 key is supposed to be a shortcut that you don't need to go to "Menu Bar" to click Fullscreen option.

2. When I go to "Menu Bar" and choose Fullscreen then the window maximizes and covers the full screen and the following hide:
    - Window Title Bar (the one with the close- max- minimize window buttons)
    - Menu Bar (File, Edit, View etc. )
    - Bookmarks Toolbar
    - Location Bar with open tabs (re-appear if you put the mouse pointer on top of the screen)
    - Add-on Toolbar (on the bottom of the screen)

3. If I press the F11 key then the window maximizes and covers the full screen and the following hide:
    - Window Title Bar (the one with the close-max-minimaze window buttons)
    - Nothing else

Is a screenshot still needed?
    Last edited by chaceos; April 8th, 2012 at 06:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chaceos View Post
    lovinglinux thank you very much

I tried all your suggestions but nothing.
    - The browser.fullscreen.autohide option had already a TRUE value
    - I tried firefox -safe-mode
    - I tried a new clean profile

In each attempt the same thing keeps happening. I don't believe there is a need for a screenshot, it is easy to describe:

1. F11 key is supposed to be a shortcut that you don't need to go to "Menu Bar" to click Fullscreen option.

2. When I go to "Menu Bar" and choose Fullscreen then the window maximizes and covers the full screen and the following hide:
    - Window Title Bar (the one with the close- max- minimize window buttons)
    - Menu Bar (File, Edit, View etc. )
    - Bookmarks Toolbar
    - Location Bar with open tabs (re-appear if you put the mouse pointer on top of the screen)
    - Add-on Toolbar (on the bottom of the screen)

3. If I press the F11 key then the window maximizes and covers the full screen and the following hide:
    - Window Title Bar (the one with the close-max-minimaze window buttons)
    - Nothing else

Is a screenshot still needed?
    This is weird, because the default behavior for both is what you described on item 2.

I am not sure if this would show, but start Firefox through terminal and check if there is any error output when you access fullscreen from the menu. Also open the Firefox Error Console (CTRL+SHIFT+J) and check if it produces any error.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    This is weird, because the default behavior for both is what you described on item 2.

I am not sure if this would show, but start Firefox through terminal and check if there is any error output when you access fullscreen from the menu. Also open the Firefox Error Console (CTRL+SHIFT+J) and check if it produces any error.

Nope. no errors, no messages
    I agree, weird...

Beans
    Distro

Create a new Ubuntu account just for testing, logout, log with the testing account and check if the behavior persist. Test both Unity 2D and 3D. You can delete the test account afterwards.

Beans

Hi, Sorry for the delay, I'm on a trip.

I have some news.
    I had already an account that I do not use (just for guests), I checked it there and everything worked as it should, with no problems.

The only thing that found different, was that in the testing account firefox, you always see the "tab toolbar" even if you only have just one open.
    In my problematic firefox, if you have only one tab open, it shows no "tab toolbar" you have to open a new tab to see the "tab toolbar".

Hope that the above helps a bit.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, Sorry for the delay, I'm on a trip.

I have some news.
    I had already an account that I do not use (just for guests), I checked it there and everything worked as it should, with no problems.

The only thing that found different, was that in the testing account firefox, you always see the "tab toolbar" even if you only have just one open.
    In my problematic firefox, if you have only one tab open, it shows no "tab toolbar" you have to open a new tab to see the "tab toolbar".

Hope that the above helps a bit.

I think the source of the problem could be outside Firefox, since a new profile doesn't solve the problem, but a new account does.

If you are using a recent version of Ubuntu, try Unity 2D.

Beans

AH, no I forgot to mention i have no unity. I'm with gnome as I said I have 10.04 lucid lynx.

Beans
    Distro

AH, no I forgot to mention i have no unity. I'm with gnome as I said I have 10.04 lucid lynx.
    Are you using Compiz?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast