Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash 11.2.202.228 solutions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Flash 11.2.202.228 solutions

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    I used and recommend Flash-Aid since i can remember and the addon exist. Thanks.

But i must say i am against recommending downgrading Flash to previous versions of Flash and against mentioning this option. I do understand this solves some issues for some users BUT at the same time it opens known security holes for them?

This is just not an option and for users that have problems with Flash and won't use Chrome only two options exist:

1.) Adobe fixes Flash problems.
    2.) There is no Flash anymore for Linux users that don't want to use Chrome and have problems with latest Flash.

I don't see other options right now for users that have problems with latest Flash and none of the "workarounds" work for them with latest Flash version.

Running software that has "web access" and known security holes is just not an option and therefore downgrading Flash should not be mentioned at all as it's not the solution for the problem as it only creates way larger security problems!
    I don't like it either, but everyone is doing and this is spread all over the place. Noboy is warning other users, which was one of the reasons I created this thread, so I could include a red warning and offer explanation how to secure flash. If people will do it anyway, at least they will be informed about the consequences and possible security measures.

The fact is that Adobe won't fix it. Flash is dead on Linux, until Chorme releases the Pepper API.

Anyway, I will consult the other staff to know their opinion.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; April 8th, 2012 at 07:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I havent'had any problem with new adobe flash plugin in my hp compaq 6720s laptop wwith VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c) and lucid lynx.

But in my old laptop pentium III, CPU 1GHz, 512 Mb ram from which 64 MB go for old sis 630 video card, new adobe flash plugin causes epiphany browser 2.30.6 to crash, the other browser in this laptop, chromium, says It has lost the flash plugin.

So, for me, to downgrade flash plugin is a solution to surf the web the way I did, of course I will have to use block ads in epiphany and also ads and flash block in chromium.

I prefer to use epiphany in this machine since chromium uses a lot of CPU in this old laptop. I have tried to use gnash plugin but newspaper pages with streaming flash videos don't recognizes the plugin, so for me it is useless. I also have seen linterna magica but I havent tried, someone?

As I see the problem, the linux solution has to go in the address marked by apps like flash videoreplacer developed by lovinglinux, but for all kinds of containers of streaming flash videos ( I mean for example brightcove platform used by some newspapers), I am not a developer and I don't know about the work it would suppose. It is clear video players as sm player play converted videos with far less cpu load and in very good quality.

In my old pentium III laptop all adobe flash players play streaming flash videos in low motion, except the ones in youtube since I have installed a greasymonkey script viewtube to avoid flash, but this is only a solution for youtube.

Sorry for the long post, but adobe flash problem requires a lot of reflections.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I found a possible workaround by using Compiz to swap the red and blue channels, but you do need to keep the buggy flash and hardware acceleration enabled for the following to work:

Within the CompizConfig Settings Manager, you will need to enable the Color filter plugin. Go into the Color filter plugin settings and select New (Located below the Filters files list.) Add the swap-red-blue filter to the list.

You should be able to find the swap-red-blue filter at:
    /usr/share/compiz/colorfilter/data/filters/swap-red-blue

To activate the filter for the current window that you wish to use the filter on, within the active playing window, press the hotkey for Toggle window filtering. Then press the hotkey multiple times for Switch filter until you get to the swap-red-blue filter. This should reverse the smurf effect within the flash video, but the filter will reverse the color channels for everything else within the window.

Press the Toggle window filtering hotkey within the desired window whenever you want to enable or disable the color filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Hi Lovinglinux, I am loving your flash-aid plugin. It makes it a lot easier to solve stupid flash issues. Maybe you could consider to make downgrading to flash 11.1.102.63 an option with a small explanation why this will fix problems for a lot of people.

I just spend a whole afternoon on fixing a friends computer where the flash plugin had broken all of a sudden. (old Radeon card) A lot of people advice to install your plugin when having flash trouble, and this is good advice, but it will not solve the troubles with the current version of the flash plugin.

And I hope HTML5 will be here soon, because I hate wasting my time on the mess flash and silverlight have created for linux users...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello All

Fresh install of 12.04 on an Asus EeePC 1000 just now: installed ubuntu-restricted-extras, some youtube videos not playing, showing the 'plugin' warning. Other videos did play (smaller ones). Right clicking revealed that YouTube had switched to HTML5 'trial'. The only codec missing was HS.xxx.

I used the 'downgrade' instructions (with the addition of NoScript) and now flash is working on all videos. I had to restart before Firefox aboutlugins command saw the plugin.

One hopes for an all HTML5 solution to this one...

Thanks for putting the instructions (and security warning) out.

Oddly enough, the PC with nvidia GT520 card and proprietary drivers is working fine...

Beans

Thanks lovingLinux, the first method worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I just solved my adobe flash plugin problem on firefox by installing Opera. Not sure if the problem I was having was like that of others but having a browser that works now is great. (my problem showed when I couldn't use the "interactive" chart option on finance.yahoo.com - works great now with Opera)

Opera downloads at: http://www.opera.com/download/

I downloaded the file for "linux" which was a .deb file and which I accessed from a terminal session. No errors during installation.

I don't think it will automatically update when there are new versions. I will need to stay on top of it if I want to keep current.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Eromatic View Post
    I found a possible workaround by using Compiz to swap the red and blue channels, but you do need to keep the buggy flash and hardware acceleration enabled for the following to work:

Within the CompizConfig Settings Manager, you will need to enable the Color filter plugin. Go into the Color filter plugin settings and select New (Located below the Filters files list.) Add the swap-red-blue filter to the list.

You should be able to find the swap-red-blue filter at:
    /usr/share/compiz/colorfilter/data/filters/swap-red-blue

To activate the filter for the current window that you wish to use the filter on, within the active playing window, press the hotkey for Toggle window filtering. Then press the hotkey multiple times for Switch filter until you get to the swap-red-blue filter. This should reverse the smurf effect within the flash video, but the filter will reverse the color channels for everything else within the window.

Press the Toggle window filtering hotkey within the desired window whenever you want to enable or disable the color filter.
    Interesting. I will add thsi to the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by joris1977 View Post
    Hi Lovinglinux, I am loving your flash-aid plugin. It makes it a lot easier to solve stupid flash issues. Maybe you could consider to make downgrading to flash 11.1.102.63 an option with a small explanation why this will fix problems for a lot of people.

I just spend a whole afternoon on fixing a friends computer where the flash plugin had broken all of a sudden. (old Radeon card) A lot of people advice to install your plugin when having flash trouble, and this is good advice, but it will not solve the troubles with the current version of the flash plugin.

And I hope HTML5 will be here soon, because I hate wasting my time on the mess flash and silverlight have created for linux users...

You can use Flash-Aid to easily install any version. The only drawback is that you need to download the package from Adobe. See istructions in the first post.

I have thought about the possibility of introducing a downgrade option in Flash-Aid. However, in addition to the security concerns, I am not allowed to distribute flash directly and Adobe only provides those huge files with builds for Windows, Mac and Linux. So it is simpler to just provide the custom installation option in the Advanced mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Deskjockey View Post
    Thanks lovingLinux, the first method worked for me.
    You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by keithpeter View Post
    Hello All

Fresh install of 12.04 on an Asus EeePC 1000 just now: installed ubuntu-restricted-extras, some youtube videos not playing, showing the 'plugin' warning. Other videos did play (smaller ones). Right clicking revealed that YouTube had switched to HTML5 'trial'. The only codec missing was HS.xxx.

I used the 'downgrade' instructions (with the addition of NoScript) and now flash is working on all videos. I had to restart before Firefox aboutlugins command saw the plugin.

One hopes for an all HTML5 solution to this one...

Thanks for putting the instructions (and security warning) out.

Oddly enough, the PC with nvidia GT520 card and proprietary drivers is working fine...
    You are welcome. Don't forget to remove the old plugin when they release a new flash version, if the problem goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by elphaba View Post
    I just solved my adobe flash plugin problem on firefox by installing Opera. Not sure if the problem I was having was like that of others but having a browser that works now is great. (my problem showed when I couldn't use the "interactive" chart option on finance.yahoo.com - works great now with Opera)

Opera downloads at: http://www.opera.com/download/

I downloaded the file for "linux" which was a .deb file and which I accessed from a terminal session. No errors during installation.

I don't think it will automatically update when there are new versions. I will need to stay on top of it if I want to keep current.
    I like Opera as well. It is not perfect, but flash is working better than Firefox in terms of stability and performance. I have issues on some sites, like justin.tv, which has a terrible delay when clicking flash controls, but it might be because of other stuff in the pages.

Beans

OK, fixed... but where? Here's the steps I took:

adding this line to /etc/adobe/mms.cfg
    EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
    File doesn't exist. Unable to implement.

I tried to downgrade from the other thread with no success...

Following this threads options I found in the /usr/lib/bin/mozilla/plugins a file names something like "flash alternative" and renamed it to .old

copied and pasted the file "libflashplayer.so" into said folder and still no go.

Added "flash-aid" to Firefox and upon installing saw flash-aid display the following error: "Remove conflicting flash installations and install the appropriate version according to Ubuntu system architecture."
    This is still showing for flash-aid

Went to software manager, searched installed, and removed the flash plugin.

now all works fine.

Don't know what to say. VERY frustrating, and confusing to a "casual" user. I'm going to remove the flash-aid add-on and see what happens. I'll reply with the results.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DMustaine View Post
    ...Don't know what to say. VERY frustrating, and confusing to a "casual" user. I'm going to remove the flash-aid add-on and see what happens. I'll reply with the results.

OK flash-aid removed, no conflict reported, and youtube, and a few other flash type video sites I tried all work properly.

Bizarre, I wish I documented which version of flash I removed from the software manager, but I do know it was 10.xxxxxx

THANK YOU for all the help and work lovinglinux.

I can't tell you how infuriated I was but this. I use Ubuntu to surf exclusively. I dual-boot but have found no reason to go to Windows for months on end (except remote work sessions). I was about to give up on Ubuntu completely tomorrow if I couldn't get this fixed. Sad isn't it? Unable to watch ONLY youtube.com videos brought me to that decision... ALL other tube sites, and flash videos I've tried worked fine. It was only youtube that smurfed (and I tried a LOT of older / probably disreputable sites trying to replicate the error).

Maybe it's something to discuss with Youtube instead of flash. I really tried probably 100 of the most common flash sites with no problem.

Thank you again, and I hope my comments are helpful, and my reply with the output of the diag as well.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast