Thread: Support for Intel GMA 3600?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Support for Intel GMA 3600?

Quote Originally Posted by cylent View Post
    And then i have to ask the following:

Lately i've been really interested in purchasing a netbook -- i first purchased a AMD Fusion C60 powered netbook and found it to be soooo underpowered. It literally was sooo slow no matter what i did.
    If you find netbooks "underpowered" I suggest you look at more laptops. I think you are expecting too much from netbook performance.

So i headed to the store and really liked the look and feel of the Lenovo Ideapad s110 netbook. Sadly though it has the n2600 atom processor with the dreaded GMA 3600 ...

even though the gma3600 wasnt supported -- ubuntu 12.04 on the ideapad s110 with the n2600 felt more responsive and better than the c60 experience so i liked it. but then i got stuck with no support for the graphics adapter.

Now -- if i were to give this netbook away to a a family member and buy another which atom would be most compatible and whether to avoid amd all-together again? even though AMD has the best graphics support with both Opensource and Closed source drivers available yet it just was feeling too slow. maybe that was acers fault?
    Aye, you have to check compatibility or buy with linux pre-installed.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    If you find netbooks "underpowered" I suggest you look at more laptops. I think you are expecting too much from netbook performance.

Aye, you have to check compatibility or buy with Linux per-installed.
    there are many variants of the intel atom ... i wouldn't know standing at the store what has what.

however all the amd fusions have a radeon and all those are supported.

in the meantime i went ahead and installed fedora 17 and it had the correct resolution. however it still seemed extremely sluggish. i guess that's just netbook performance?

Still trying to figure out how this guy achieved a video driver install on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpQwcOaI8J8

all he says is "using Fedora-based Linux with a video driver implemented by us". whatever that means.
    Last edited by cylent; June 10th, 2012 at 10:29 AM.

I have 2 hp mini's.

First has N570 with GMA and second N2800 with GMA.

On first I have ubuntu 11.04 (on 11.10 or 12.04 3G does not work) and it very smooth

N2800 has better GMA but the performance is way worse :/ (ubuntu 12.04 with added drivers)

Beans

Hi,

I do have one Intel DN2800MT board thought I can use it for a xbmc appliance. The driver issue is disappointing though...

I managed to compile a 3.4.2 kernel with GMA support and set res to full hd works so far connected to the TV. Video decoding though is horrible.

But I have an idea, would a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder card help? Its a half size mini PCIe card and would still fit next to the mSATA card.

What you guys think would I be able to decode full HD movies? Or should I rather add a NVIDIA GPU?

Thx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfuss View Post
    Hi,

I do have one Intel DN2800MT board thought I can use it for a xbmc appliance. The driver issue is disappointing though...

I managed to compile a 3.4.2 kernel with GMA support and set res to full hd works so far connected to the TV. Video decoding though is horrible.

But I have an idea, would a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder card help? Its a half size mini PCIe card and would still fit next to the mSATA card.

What you guys think would I be able to decode full HD movies? Or should I rather add a NVIDIA GPU?

Thx
    I would purchase linux compatible hardware in a heartbeat, much less hassle.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Beans

@xceedsys
    Im very interested to try the "upstream 'gma500' driver" but since I'm not very proficient at linux, Im worried my computer may go awol for good if I try this, which would really suck after a day of getting it up to this stage.

Any positive reports?
    Im using a PowerVR SGX545, which does show a reasonable graphic, just cant play any video with acceptable screen rate

Beans

Windows 7 starter is an awful, clunky, limited, resource-wasting OS. I hope there is an easy to install Ubuntu solution with graphics working and proper screen resolutions for the EeePc 1025C soon! Today I saw that Asus are launching a notebook with Ubuntu 12.04 preinstalled. It has the same atom chip as the 1025C. Does that mean that there is a graphics fix that will be available for 12.04 also for us with 1025C? http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_P...specifications

ubuntu quantal (12.10) alpha1 cd iso works. i have written it with unetbootin first, it has not worked, then with ubuntu usb creator, it has worked in live usb drive mode, with correct resolution, and with wifi (it is here in "iwconfig"). this is asus eeepc seashell...
    on installation if you cannot edit partitions, do not turn it off, just wait.
    after installation it boots to black screen. going to recovery mode, (press shift for that in grub time ie after start of computer booting), and selecting resuming normal load in recovery mode, makes it load normal visible desktop.
    btw it is possible to install gnome 2, install gnome-panel package for that. alt+right click to add applets. to select gnome 2 press little ubuntu(i do not remember well) logo at top right corner of password box in login screen. (this is teached/told to me in irc, #ubuntu+1 ).
    going to recovery mode, then root console, then "shutdown -r now" makes it restart and grub boot menu appears, without timer. press enter and it also loads normally. but after restart there is again black screen.
    Last edited by q.dinar; June 26th, 2012 at 05:57 PM.

Beans

If quantal works then it means that we can find those drivers in some deb?

As it's in Alpha version, I would prefer just to upgrade some packages than to upgrade to an Alpha version with the risk to lose it all

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast