Thread: Replace Evolution with Thunderbird EasyPeasy

Beans

Replace Evolution with Thunderbird EasyPeasy

Hello!

I'm a noob in dealing with Linux, but I'm very curious and excited about it.
    Right now I'm trying out the EasyPeasy distro of Ubuntu Linux and so far I'm loving it!
    However I quickly got a few problems that I can't figure out by myself.

The EasyPeasy 1.6 distro comes with integrated Evolution mail client, which I absolutely want to replace with Thunderbird 11. However on the Ubuntu Software Centre I can only install Thunderbird 3.1 which doesn't integrate at all with EasyPeasy nor can I customise it with many add-ons.
    Thunderbird 11 does work on EasyPeasy, I've managed to get it to work via unzipping the tar.gz file from the TB webpage and adding it through the main menu. But the notification applet (envelope icon upper right corner of the screen) doesn't have any link to Thunderbird, nor the convenient "create new message" button.

So can someone help me with this? I've tried following tutorials about some "libnotify" thing... but I keep getting myself lost and confused. Please explain to me in very simple language

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by estt; April 6th, 2012 at 11:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Replace Evolution with Thunderbird EasyPeasy

In Ubuntu you can change default applications from system info > default applications . I don't know if EasyPeasy has a similar setting. If you can change the default you may have to restart before the indicator will work with TBird. I have done this successfully when I replaced Banshee , but have not tried with an email client .
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    In Ubuntu you can change default applications from system info > default applications . I don't know if EasyPeasy has a similar setting. If you can change the default you may have to restart before the indicator will work with TBird. I have done this successfully when I replaced Banshee , but have not tried with an email client .
    Yes I tried that, but it still didn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try installing T-Bird from Ubuntuzilla (clicky here). You can find the later versions of it that might work with Easy Peasy. It's a "ppa" - another source of software for Ubuntu. I used it to get the newest version of Seamonkey for my Xubu 10.04.