Thread: Running Ubuntu on a Mac PC

Beans
    Hidden!

Running Ubuntu on a Mac PC

"Hello World!" I've been running my Ubuntu Live USB off any computer I can, but found myself having trouble working with Macs. I can run Ubuntu live off most PCs, but am having trouble using Ubuntu on Macs that have intel processors (relax everyone! I am pressing the option button at startup to choose from what to boot. Give me some credit...). Now the question is if it's because Apple's hardware is proprietary, thus, I can't access the system with Ubuntu. Or is it, perhaps, that my problem is that I inadvertently tried running a 64bit on a 32bit system. I need try a 32bit Ubuntu, but if anyone has enlightening knowledge; I'm all ears. Here's the symptom: after I tried to boot from my USB drive I saw the classic Ubuntu purple background before the system turned off.

I know that Ubuntu has general drivers, so regardless of hardware I should be able a Mac system running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Running Ubuntu on a Mac PC

Are you trying to boot the PC version on a mac?

There are seperate versions for an Intel Mac available here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/11.10/release/
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

There is also an Apple Users subforum here where you'll find a lot of help. But it's true that you need to use the version for Macs.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I didn't realise there was a Mac version That would explain a lot of my problems.

Ever since a dualboot Ubuntu with OS X went bad, I've just been running a VM on my MacBook Pro. I'm looking into buying a separate box for using Ubuntu, but imo there's no real point in buying a Mac if you're going to change the OS.