Thread: 10.04 64bit problem with usb 3.0

Beans

10.04 64bit problem with usb 3.0

i just bought a i5 2500k+AsRock extreme 3 gen 3 motherboard+patriot ddr3 1333 8gb, and my system is 10.04 64bit. when i am trying to plug a usb 2.0 flash drive in usb 3.0 port, the system is dead, i have to reset. my kernel is 2.6.32-40-generic-pae.

since i don't have windows system, i can not test the port in windows. and the motherboard is brand new, little bit worry it is defect one on usb 3.0. so any suggestion? thanks a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 10.04 64bit problem with usb 3.0

I suggest that you download (maybe using another computer) the iso files of Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 beta. I think these new versions have a better chance to co-operate with your new hardware. Make boot CD or USB drives and test running live sessions without installing.

Beans

thanks, but i don't like ubuntu unity this kind of stuff. my computer is mainly used for scientific computation, just want to keep most simple interface, and as stable as it can.

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I suggest that you download (maybe using another computer) the iso files of Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 beta. I think these new versions have a better chance to co-operate with your new hardware. Make boot CD or USB drives and test running live sessions without installing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by yardbird2012 View Post
    thanks, but i don't like ubuntu unity this kind of stuff. my computer is mainly used for scientific computation, just want to keep most simple interface, and as stable as it can.
    You could try Xubuntu or Lubuntu, which are both lightweight and simple.
    Say no to Microsoft. Say yes to open source.

Beans

thanks, i will try it next time when i reinstall system.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxFan999 View Post
    You could try Xubuntu or Lubuntu, which are both lightweight and simple.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It doesn't make sense that a 64-bit system would have 2.6.32-40-generic-pae as the kernel.

Google says that kernel should have USB 3.0 support, but new hardware with old software is not a healthy combination. Go with Ubutnu 12.04, then install gnome-panel, and select it (just once) at logon. That eliminates Unity.