Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: OpenSUSE won't install updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: OpenSUSE won't install updates

Quote Originally Posted by aligator12 View Post
    Alright here is the message:

File '/repodata/repomd.xml' not found on medium 'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games/openSUSE_11.3/'

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i/?] (a):
    Based off that message you don't have the games repo for 12.1 enabled, you have the games repo for 11.3. 11.3 went end of life January 20th, 2012 and would be the reason why it cannot reach that repository. Remove that repo, enable the 12.1 games repo, then update your system.

Going forward please try and provide the output that is requested of you by people trying to help you. We could have solved this a number of posts ago if you had provided some decent information.

Beans

Based off that message you don't have the games repo for 12.1 enabled, you have the games repo for 11.3. 11.3 went end of life January 20th, 2012 and would be the reason why it cannot reach that repository. Remove that repo, enable the 12.1 games repo, then update your system.
    How do I remove that repo?

Going forward please try and provide the output that is requested of you by people trying to help you. We could have solved this a number of posts ago if you had provided some decent information.
    I am very sorry. But the computer I am troubleshooting is not mine and I don't have physical access all the time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Open YaST. Go to Software >> Software Repositories

Select the line

Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games/openSUSE_11.3/
    Click "Edit".

Edit that line and change it to:

Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games/openSUSE_12.1/

I confirmed that the URL exists.

Also change the sction of the Repostory Name from 11.3 to 12.1.

Refresh your repos. You'll probably be asked to Trust the GPG key on that repo. Go ahead and accept that.
    Last edited by QIII; April 19th, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aligator12 View Post
    How do I remove that repo?

I am very sorry. But the computer I am troubleshooting is not mine and I don't have physical access all the time.
    the link I provided earlier with instructions on how to use zypper will tell you how to add or remove repos.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Nice. Obscure instructions to what the poster sees as an obscure problem. We're good at assuming that what makes sense to us makes sense to the uninitiated. Would you like him to read the entire thing and sort it out?

"RTFM", we say. That's exactly why we get the reputation for being arrogant Linux snobs.
    Last edited by QIII; April 19th, 2012 at 06:15 AM.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Nice. Obscure instructions to what the poster sees as an obscure problem. We're good at assuming that what makes sense to us makes sense to the uninitiated. Would you like him to read the entire thing and sort it out?

"RTFM", we say. That's exactly why we get the reputation for being arrogant Linux snobs.
    I never said RTM to the OP nor did I assume it makes sense to him. I did provide the OP a guide to help administer his/hers/friends system. The instructions aren't obscure but are in fact specific to opensuse and his problem. I don't expect the OP to read it all but the part clearly called "Removing Repositories" would be a good start.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_us...g_repositories

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Not obscure to whom?

You and me?

Clearly the OP was not getting it.
    Last edited by QIII; April 19th, 2012 at 06:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have to say enabling repositories in openSUSE wasn't a simple and straightforward task for me. And having to google around and find the manuals didn't exactly endear openSUSE to me. I got the job done but I still don't feel like I have a great handle on it. Why it didn't work, after I thought I had it solved, with a relog but did work after a reboot I still don't understand.

I don't think of myself as a newbie anymore. Clearly I'm wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Not obscure to whom?

You and me?

Clearly the OP was not getting it.
    Using zypper should not be thought as obscure commands for someone who has chosen to use opensuse anymore than apt is obscure for someone using a debian-based system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Should it be considered obscure for you and me?. No. It is a skill we have learned. I've been at this stuff for about 35 years. I'd certainly better be able to use the command line and make sense of that sort of documentation. I rarely use GUI tools for such things.

But given the problem and the OP's responses, it is clear that it IS obscure to him.

Deal with the OP's problem from HIS point of view, not from OURS.

Your statement is tantamount to saying that anyone who cannot follow directions for using command line methods should not choose openSUSE. Ignorance is dispelled by learning. Learning takes time. The OP has an immediate problem and asked for an answer. A GUI solution is the quickest route to a solution for that problem. I recognized that after his first couple of responses to my suggestion that he use zypper.

Telling someone over and over to do something in some fashion without success does not reflect on the student's ability to learn, but the teacher's ability to teach.

Rather than expecting the OP's skills at the command line to spring forth from the head of Zeus fully formed and armed for battle (yours didn't), solve the OP's immediate problem today. Teach him to use the command line tomorrow.
    Last edited by QIII; April 19th, 2012 at 04:03 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast