Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does my computer look like a tablet?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Why does my computer look like a tablet?

I've been around a while too, and remember wondering who'd be using a Mac with its GUI, and where was the command line? (The most recent occasion I recall of me using a machine from the Apple stable was back in the mid '80s, it was a Lisa)

And then there's Gem.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

"Intuitive" is in the eye of the beholder.

I think "intuitive" is so overused it has become useless as a member of the technology lexicon.

We humans tend to find that which is familiar to be "intuitive" in the case of our inventions. If you were seven years old with nobody looking over your shoulder, would you be able to sit down in front of that strange, glowing thing on the desk and get it to do anything meaningful?

THAT would be intuitive.

What we are talking about when we think of computer interfaces is actually "learned expectations and behaviors" no matter how you slice it.

Unity is a departure from those expectations and behaviors, so naturally it does not seem "intuitive" - yet.

There is no "intuitive" interface. There is that which is learned and familiar. We generally tolerate a certain amount of change - the introduction of a certain amount of ambiguity - as things progress. We accept that as still "intuitive".

The OP is really expressing a limitation to that "ambiguity tolerance", which is a very human thing.
    Last edited by QIII; April 6th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Anyone who hates Gnome 3 and Unity is not going to be very happy when they see Windows 8, either.
    If variety is the spice of life, monotony must therefore be the kiss of death.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

If Unity makes them bang their heads again a wall, Windows 8 will have them jump off a bridge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I remember saying to myself "How the h*ll am I supposed to get anything done on this thing? Who came up with this silly "windows" idea? Microsoft? What? Aren't they the guys who write the compiler?"
    Real men use Unix in the command line, anyway. Bunch of sissies is what everyone is these days!...
    I loved it!

Personally, I have 10.10 (gnome 2) on my PC and 11.04 (unity) on my laptop, and these days when I use 10.10 (which was a wonderful release by the way - stable, very fast, everything I need!), I keep hitting the windows key and keep constantly thinking "oh god, here I actually have to use the mouse on a regular basis". I think Unity has some really slick features.

By anyway, all this ranting is really pointless. If there is one thing that the Linux users have never had any shortage of, then that is choice. If you don't like it, don't use it, use some other distro/desktop/...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pbpersson View Post
    Anyone who hates Gnome 3 and Unity is not going to be very happy when they see Windows 8, either.
    I think they'd gain new appreciation for Unity and Gnome 3.

Windows 8 is a complete tabletification of Windows; there are no menus, no windows, no file manager... and everything that remains is completely different.

By contrast, Unity still has the same file manager. The same desktop. The same movable and resizable windows. The same indicators and notifications. The menus are moved, but otherwise the same. The icons and theme are the same.

When you look at it that way, Unity is really a traditional desktop.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRamallo View Post
    Seriously? Is there any way to go back to the old look? I can't seem to get any work done at all because everything is so different and awkward with a mouse and keyboard. Plus a bunch of basic functionality is missing like changing the default program for opening files, adding stuff to the panel, customization, etc.

Please don't tell me the I'm going to have to back everything up in order to downgrade to the original version
    Either use GNOME Shell, or use another DE altogether. The best DE for GNOME 2 refugees is Xfce.

I honestly prefer Openbox or Fluxbox myself, but if I were to use a DE, Xfce and LXDE are my fave DE's. I like GNOME Shell, but it's a little heavy on resources. The whole Unity concept is great too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by idefix82 View Post
    if there is one thing that the linux users have never had any shortage of, then that is choice. If you don't like it, don't use it, use some other distro/desktop/...
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    "Intuitive" is in the eye of the beholder.

I think "intuitive" is so overused it has become useless as a member of the technology lexion.

We humans tend to find that which is familiar to be "intuitive" in the case of our inventions. If you were seven years old with nobody looking over your shoulder, would you be able to sit down in front of that strange, glowing thing on the desk and get it to do anything meaningful?

THAT would be intuitive.

What we are talking about when we think of computer interfaces is actually "learned expectations and behaviors" no matter how you slice it.

Unity is a departure from those expectations and behaviors, so naturally it does not seem "intuitive" - yet.

There is no "intuitive" interface. There is that which is learned and familiar. We generally tolerate a certain amount of change - the introduction of a certain amount of ambiguity - as things progress. We accept that as still "intuitive".

The OP is really expressing a limitation to that "ambiguity tolerance", which is a very human thing.
    While I agree with a lot of what you say, I cant agree with all of it. An example:
    Apple OSX for the iPad. Id never used an Apple product outside of an ipod but when messing around with a friends iPad, it didnt take me long to figure out. It is intuitive. For me at least, Unity isnt. It doenst make sense to me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRamallo View Post
    Seriously? Is there any way to go back to the old look?
    Yes:

http://www.howtogeek.com/110052/how-...e-2-on-ubuntu/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast