Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: read errors mapping "<filename>": Value too large for defined data type (75)

Beans

read errors mapping "<filename>": Value too large for defined data type (75)

I am getting this error when trying to copy/move/rsync a few files. What is going on here?

cp: read errors mapping "<filename>": Value too large for defined data type (75)
    I checked out the source files and they seem fine to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: read errors mapping "<filename>": Value too large for defined data type (75)

Please let us know the system you are using. In a terminal, type the following two commands and post the output:
    Code:
    lsb_release -d
    uname -m
    I think we also need to know more about the source and target. Can you give one example of an actual command you used, also letting use know the file system (e.g. NTFS, FAT16, FAT32, ext4) of both the source and target. Also let us know the size of the file.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

Re: read errors mapping "<filename>": Value too large for defined data type (75)

Code:
    # lsb_release -d
    Description:	Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
    # uname -m
    x86_64
    I'm copying from ntfs via fuse to xfs. This is affecting multiple files of various sizes, from 150mb to 30gb.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Can you open the files normally ? What type of files are they ?

How many files are there that are giving you trouble ?

Have you ran chkdsk on the NTFS filing system to ensure it's not corrupted ?

Have you tried to copy them to a filing system other than xfs such as ext4 ?

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

These are video files. I am having trouble reading these NTFS source files from Linux. However, doing so from Windows, the files are perfectly fine. I did run a chkdsk, no errors. I did try copying to another file system, same issues. It looks like the destination doesn't matter, I can't read the source.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

I'm not sure why it's not copying. Did you format the NTFS partition using an unusual method ?

Have you tried to use dd to copy the files ? You can set different block sizes and such to copy each file. Copy a file somewhere first, as a dry run, to an empty disc or partition.

Be very careful if you try this and make sure you get the command correct but that may copy it.

Also, see what others think.

Kind regards

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

I've been using this file system for ~6 months, only now is it giving me trouble. dd fails as well, same error.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Is there anything on the log files when you try to copy ?

Open a terminal and type

Code:
    tail -f /var/log/syslog
    Then try to copy a file. Is there any more useful information about what the problem may be displayed in the terminal ?

Kind regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by plut0 View Post
    I am having trouble reading these NTFS source files from Linux.
    That is a problem. Ubuntu should have no problem whatsoever reading from and writing to NTFS.

Please check that you have both ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs installed.

Google the error you had, and you'll see that it is usually to do with having too large a file; but that should not be a problem in your case (unless Fuse has restrictions of which I am unaware).

Try copying one of the problematic files to nowhere, as follows:
    Code:
    cp filename /dev/null
    What happens?
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

I was able to get around the issues only with the help of Windows. What I did was copy the file to a new name. I ran a md5sum check and the source and destination are exactly the same. After that I logged into Linux and was able to read the new file just fine.

What does this mean? Is this a corrupt file system or a ntfs-3g issue? Like I said earlier, chkdsk didn't find any issues with the file system so I'm not sure what is going on.

@Paddy Landau
    @matt_symes

I will try your suggestions tonight and get back to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast