Thread: ubuntu won't install

Beans

ubuntu won't install

While running the live CD it gives the option to install it.

I select the option to "try something else" and go to the partition table.

When I select the 20gb partition I set up it says "no root file system" or something along those lines, and that I would need to correct the problem to proceed. Not sure why it gives me this error message when selecting a partition.

***Solved the issue***

Ubuntu apparently won't let you install on a pre-made partition. Had to delete the partition I made for Ubuntu then create one from my existing C partition. Might be something from the new release because the videos I watched all looked different from the setup I was going through. So if there are any new people installing Ubuntu that read this post don't pre-make the partition before installing, it wont work and gives you the option to make the partition when you choose to install along side windows.
    Last edited by greggregington; July 18th, 2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: solved the issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ubuntu won't install

asus p6x58d premium mb bios 15.01 dual lg blue ray burners
    core I7 4.0Ghs
    ati 6950 hd video card asus 24 inch hd monitor
    12 gigs kingston hyper x ddr3 1600 Mhs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ubuntu won't install

When you go into the try something section and set up your partitions. I think the selections are new change and delete. pick change and the screen will show whatever partition you selected with two dropdown menus on the right, the top is the filesystem type ie, ext4,ntfs,brtfs,etc,etc. the lower dropdown menu will allow you to select what the partition will be, whether /(root), /home, or any of the other options. when set click ok and it will load the something else partition page. Now it should have the root set.