Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Distrowatch on Dapper - "a disappointment".

Beans

Distrowatch on Dapper - "a disappointment".

Despite having been delayed by six weeks for "polish" and carrying a "Long Term Support" tag, the Ubuntu 6.06 release was a disappointment. This was probably exacerbated by the expectations the development team and Ubuntu user community had created prior to the release. Unfortunately, while the new product works perfectly well for a great number of Linux user, the many reports of serious issues hint at quality control problems and a failure to effect the promised "polish" in time for the release. The new graphical installer, which has now become the default way to install the distribution, is still immature and many users reported crashes while trying to install Ubuntu. The live CD itself is often unusable - on your DistroWatch maintainer's main system it takes over 20 minutes to complete its boot process! Further problems with printing and display on systems with ATI graphics cards have added to the perception that Ubuntu 6.06 is not on par with the project's previous three releases.
    From: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...060612#opinion

The latest issue of Distrowatch Weekly states, considering the latest releases of Linux distributions the last quarter of 2006, that Dapper is "a disappointment". This is the first truly negative review I've seen of Dapper and I wonder what the community thinks. Fedora, on the other hand, has with its 5th release, made a "a solid, dependable and reasonably bug-free operating system", according to Distrowatch. It concludes stating the following on Fedora - "It is possibly one of the most stable and dependable Linux distributions ever built!"
    Last edited by magnusbb; June 12th, 2006 at 04:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Distrowatch on Dapper - "a disappointment".

Personally, I think it was a success. I have had no major issues, with the exception of multimedia, but I was able to resolve this by switching back to xine from gstreamer. Everything else worked perfectly fine on both my 32 and 64-bit systems.
    Don't just say something. Have something to say.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have to agree with Distrowatch for the most part. This isn't the only negative review that I've seen. When I first tried Breezy, I loved it. I did a clean install of Dapper and some things worked better which was expected but I had a few problems with things that just worked with Breezy. A bit weird in my opinion. They took a step forward and backwards at the same time. Oh well, it's still my favorite distribution and I don't think that I'll ever switch again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree with DistroWatch. I like Dapper, but a six-week delay only heightens expectations.

They should have just left the release date at April and tried for an October polished release. I can't tell you how many Espresso/GParted issues I've seen on these forums.

Beans

I saw a good critic once. He was dead.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans

In some ways I can agree. There have been too many "unfortunate" experiences in upgrading/installing. However, SUSE went through the same problems when it released 10.1. So I guess it's not too uncommon for dist-upgrades to be plagued with troubles. However, these experiences of users are really hurting Ubuntu's image because the delay supposedly promises "polish" and because Ubuntu's claim to fame is that has been easy to use as a desktop distro.

One thing that bothers me about all these is that when people see the Ubiquity installer on the Desktop CD, they immediately expect an installer of the same capabilities as those from MEPIS, KNOPPIX, PCLinuxOS, etc. They obviously do not understand, even after being explicitly stated again and again, that the Desktop CD installer is just meant for a very, very basic desktop install, that more advanced options including the ability to install GRUB in a place other than the MBR is only offered through the Alternate Install CD.

I guess misconceptions and expectations can't be helped when it comes to a very popular distro like Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fenyx
    that the Desktop CD installer is just meant for a very, very basic desktop install, that more advanced options including the ability to install GRUB in a place other than the MBR is only offered through the Alternate Install CD.

I guess misconceptions and expectations can't be helped when it comes to a very popular distro like Ubuntu.
    This is something that IMO wasn't made clear enough. I think the desktop installer is nice, but it is too immature to be the default method of install in this release already.

From what I gathered though, Mark had a lot riding on this release (like the SUN deal), so another delay would have been unthinkable just as postponing LTS to 6.10.

Don't get me wrong, I love Dapper and it has been good for me, but there were a couple of showstoppers in it that should not be there for an LTS version.
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans

The thing is, is there an official statement that the Ubiquity installer is the default installer for Ubuntu? People just make the presumption based on experiences from some of the distributions I mentioned. The thing that this same people forget is that those distributions don't offer any other installer other than those in the Live CD, whereas Ubuntu has 3 alternatives. I guess the name "Alternate Install CD" is misleading, leading one to conclude that the Desktop CD is the default installer.

This is a quote from one of the download mirrors: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/releasenotes/606

Desktop CD
    The desktop CD allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. This type of CD is what most people will want to use. You will need at least 192MB of RAM to install from this CD.
    Note the lack of the term "default", but the presence of the phrase "will want to use". Big difference there. Big difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Well as for me.. I've installed Dapper in two systems. I felt that opinion was kind a biased to Fedora. I heard fedora have lot of bugs and stability issue. I 'HEARD', I'm not sure of it. But one of my teacher tried it and then dumped it. He is now using fedora 4. He says 4 is more stable then Fedora 5!
    I am using Dapper and it is really stable for me. and It was not a disappointment to me. but yet the Installer needs some fixing.

Some problem I think NEEDS to be fixed.

1. when I boot up using the Desktop CD it was very slow. It took more then 10 minutes to load the installer or any programs that I tried to run. so you can say it was unusable although the system had 512MB of RAM. Then created a swap partition using fdisk and restarted and everything was good This thing works like a charm. If you are experiencing slowdown or you have less the 512MB RAM then you can try this

2. At selecting partition window I took Manually edit Partitions and I formated a partition as a ext3 file system and In the next step that partition was not detected!! hell I had to start the installer again. and the Disk detection step is so damn slow

3. Selecting Time zone was another pain. I had to set time and timezone twice to selcet the currect time and timezone!

there were some more minor issues but I was really impressed when I was able to Install Dapper without any other hassels and under 30 mins. It detected the internal GFx card, Sound card, modem out of the box though Windows XP installation was a complete mass. It took 1hour to finish the basic installation and I had to work in 640x480 resulation with 4bit(!!) color and without sound until I installed the drivers.

Now comparing with windows XP installation hessles I feel Its a really great job by Ubuntu developers.
    Be Happy

Beans

Ubuntu still is a Linux distribution, which leaves it open to work well on certain systems, but horrible on others.

For my notebook, an HP Compaq Business Notebook NC6220, the results have been spectacular. Dapper has performed wonderfully. Before Breezy, I had known issues with hibernation, loss of sound when booting out of sleep mode, and a finicky wireless reception. All these issues were resolved with Dapper.

I do agree with the live CD critique. The partition manager in the live CD has not performed well for me on Dapper. I ended up installing via the text-based installer, which I am actually more comfortable with, and had zero problems.

I have a couple of friends who want to try out Ubuntu and I always tell them to check the forums, Wiki, and general support areas to see if their hardware is “supported” (i.e. will work).
    The Arizona Kid

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast