Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where do i find my spam mails?

Beans

where do i find my spam mails?

I cannot find anything under /etc/Maildir. i see my accounts in the folder, and there is "new", "cur", etc.
    I see there is a folder called spamassassin under /etc/mail, but there is not much in the folder. the .cf file is basically empty.

Where can I find my spam mail? please help!
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: where do i find my spam mails?

That's a new one. Most people do not even want to see SPAM. Who is your email provider? There is probably something in the preferences that will tell you where your SPAM is located. Mine is somewhere in Internet neverland hopefully.
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I'm not sure I can help , but knowing what email client you are using may help someone to help you. I use Thunderbird on 11.10 and junk mail from the Hotmail pop 3 account is not available . I have never received any junk mail / spam in over a year with the GMX account .

In Thunderbird under Edit > Account Settings Junk Settings you can disable the Junk mail controls and that may allow you to download the contents of that folder .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

there are constantly emails wrongly placed in the spam folder. In my case, i was trying to retrieve forgotten password but could not get the responding replies.

Since i am running my own website on my own ubuntu server, i am my own email provider i guess. so i suppose the question is a ubuntu question.. about the file structure?

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Server Platforms.
    What is the general structure of your MTA? Postfix on its own? Postfix+Spamassassin? Something else?
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

in my Thunderbird Junk settings, i now have
    move junk messages to my inbox. that did not help.

how would Thunderbird know where my junk mails are? if they are already filtered by something like spamassassin?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Thread moved to Server Platforms.
    What is the general structure of your MTA? Postfix on its own? Postfix+Spamassassin? Something else?
    Sorry, how do I find that out?
    I know i am using postfix, and i know there is a spamassassin folder. i am not even sure the spamassassin is being used?

Beans

I am confused by your use of thunderbird. Is this a server and you are getting your mail via thunderbird or are you using a desktop?

if you are using a server and your 'spam mail' is disappearing then one of two things is happening (well, maybe 3).

1- You have spamassassin set up and running. Then something like procmail,mailscanner, or whatever you have is deleting things marked as spam.

2- whoever set up your server made spam messages go to a separate folder somewhere (check all the home directories)

3- you have greylisting and it is set for a very long period. 1- check your maillog (I use centos, not ubuntu, but I think they are the same location).../var/log/maillog. Look for the email address that something was sent from and see if you can see what is happening.

Usually the log will add something like 'delivered to procmail' or some other mail handler that will pass it to spamassassin.
    That handler is deleting or moving your spam mails somewhere. Postfix and spamassassin do not delete your mail.

best to look and see what services are running...then you know what to look for.

Beans

i am using thunderbird to retrieve mail from my webserver/mail server which is on a ubuntu machine.

I am not sure that my spam mails are "disappearing" because I simply don't know where they are to start with. So I was trying to see if I can find them.

1, I looked in /home and see all the email accounts. in an account, there is an Maildir folder, in which there are "new", "cur", etc. I can see my mails in the cur folder, and I do not see the mails I was expecting/missing.

2, in /var/log, I looked at files mail.log and mail.info, and there is nothing like "spamassassin" or procmail. when I search for "delivered to", they are all "delivered to maildir".

3, i checked the /home folder, but do not see any special folder that can collect spam mails...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Open up your mail log and search by date and time of when you expected the password email to hit your server.

If you don't know or remember the date you can open the log in "real time" and request the password again.

Code:
    tail -f /var/log/mail.log

Then request the password and watch the log to see if it's hitting your server and what is happening.

It is likely your server is just rejecting the spam.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast