Thread: Newbie seeking advice

Newbie seeking advice

I am a newbie from the windows owrld, and i would like to become a linux developer (mind you not right away), how would I begin or what should I learn. are there any tutorials or docs online that I can read.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Newbie seeking advice

Learning a skill would be a good start.
    C / ASM / Perl
    There are so many resources out there. googling would be your best bet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kthakore
    I am a newbie from the windows owrld, and i would like to become a linux developer (mind you not right away), how would I begin or what should I learn. are there any tutorials or docs online that I can read.
    There may be some useful answers in this recent thread:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=189566

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Here are some links that may be of use:

How to become a hacker (pay attention to the Other Resources list, too)
    Teach yourself programming in 10 years (don't let the title discourage you -- the point is that acquiring depth and breadth take some time, not that you can't do fun and interesting and useful things during that time)
    How to Design Programs (an intro to programming using Scheme)
    How to Think Like a Computer Scientist (an intro to programming using Python)

Beans

Good links there. Pay special attention to "How to Become a Hacker." I've been a developer for ages, but being a hacker is much more fun. So my summer project this year is to become one. Hurray.

Anywho, I'd advise starting with a lower level language, like C, then moving up into object oriented languages like C++, and then to really high level things like C#. And if you feel like forming a really special bond with your computer (Gah, that sounded way too nerdy), learn assembly language, ideally in between C and C++.

Beans

Which languages do you use in Windows? What kinds of things do you want to do in GNU/Linux?

If you want to learn the art of making graphical user interfaces, have a look at the gtk tutorials (on the official gtk site).

If you just want to learn to code in C, grab a copy of "The C Programming Language", no doubt the best book out there on the subject.

Learn how to write at least basic shell and perl scripts. It's very easy, but also very handy.

Learn about make files. Again, very simple but you must know this.
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Assembly only if your game... was stupid enough to jump from basic to assembly in windows, was an effort and a half.

Thnx for the link to the gtk project answers a question ive been trying to answer for myself

And for a newbi, perl i think is the best programming language to introduce oneself to linux. its quick, easy and u can learn it between learning the in's and out's of the linux gui (or console)