Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

Beans

Re: Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

Quote Originally Posted by R33D3M33R View Post
    In Steam you don't actually own the game, you just have their permission to play it, which can be revoked any time, additionally some games may have DRM that limits the number of installs.
    Care to point out where anyone lost a game they legitimately paid for?

On Gog, you buy a DRM free game and you can do anything you want with it: burn it on a CD/DVD and install it as many times as you wan't. Nobody can revoke this copy, you own it forever.
    Nope, if you violate their ToS you will lose access to your purchased games.

These are the main reasons for me to choose GOG over Steam and I don't have the problem with waiting for Linux support. If they managed to get System Shock 2 re-released, they can also manage to add Linux support. Maybe they are thinking about it right now as I'm writing this post. Just be patient ...
    Why should they bother with 1.54% of the market?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dmn_clown View Post
    Care to point out where anyone lost a game they legitimately paid for?
    Maybe I should have put "can" in bold. This doesn't need to be true, but try a search on the steam forums for "banned", "disable", "revoked". It might surprise you .

Nope, if you violate their ToS you will lose access to your purchased games.
    Sure, I'm not saying that your account can't get disabled. But once you have downloaded the game, you can install it unlimited, regardless if your account is active or not. Nobody is going to come to your home and wipe your disk or destroy your backup CDs. But if you are banned from Steam ... good luck with the buggy offline mode (if it works regardless of the ban offcourse).

Why should they bother with 1.54% of the market?
    Why does GOG acquire licenses for ancient games that might be purchased by 0.1% or less of their userbase?

Beans

oldrocker99, I didn't flame you for liking Steam as I like and use Steam myself. I was merely calling you a Negative Nancy as I genuinely believed you came into this thread to stir up a ruckus. I, too, am dismayed by GOG's stubborn attitude but remain hopeful as it would be a match made in Gamer Heaven for me, plus logic and good business sense make me believe that it is inevitable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by Zeven View Post
    oldrocker99, I didn't flame you for liking Steam as I like and use Steam myself. I was merely calling you a Negative Nancy as I genuinely believed you came into this thread to stir up a ruckus. I, too, am dismayed by GOG's stubborn attitude but remain hopeful as it would be a match made in Gamer Heaven for me, plus logic and good business sense make me believe that it is inevitable.
    Understood, no hard feelings. I really wasn't trying to raise a ruckus, just MHO. I personally couldn't be happier with the expanded range of games available, and I'm still playing Neverwinter Nights native after five years of Linux gaming. The future is even brighter. I never believed I'd be able to play a Linux Paradox game, but I'm getting my ass kicked in Crusader Kings 2. This is a Good Thing.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

11 000 votes have been reached! Now how about another few thousand votes? Or are there so few Linux gamers that we cannot even make it to the top of the list?

Beans

I want to vote. Though I don't want to sign up to a site I more than likely won't use again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sendo-eevpix View Post
    I want to vote. Though I don't want to sign up to a site I more than likely won't use again.
    There are several requests pertaining to Linux you can vote on, plus you can participate in discussions regarding Linux and GOG's adoption thereof. In addition, GOG has a history of giving out a game every now and then. I, for example, have picked up Empire Earth and Torchlight free of charge thanks to it (although only Torchlight has a Linux client admittedly). When GOG finally does support Linux, surely you'll return to use GOG for its lack of DRM and lack of regional pricing. If all that doesn't matter to you, then at least do it for the betterment of gaming on Linux, please!

Beans

There are several requests pertaining to Linux you can vote on, plus you can participate in discussions regarding Linux and GOG's adoption thereof. In addition, GOG has a history of giving out a game every now and then. I, for example, have picked up Empire Earth and Torchlight free of charge thanks to it (although only Torchlight has a Linux client admittedly). When GOG finally does support Linux, surely you'll return to use GOG for its lack of DRM and lack of regional pricing. If all that doesn't matter to you, then at least do it for the betterment of gaming on Linux, please!
    Sorta like Steam/Valve's 'Steam for Linux' Group(With forums) and chatroom?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sendo-eevpix View Post
    Sorta like Steam/Valve's 'Steam for Linux' Group(With forums) and chatroom?
    Not to that extent. More like a bunch of requests and a main forum thread concerning itself with the subject of Linux for GOG. You can find it here.

Beans

Not to that extent. More like a bunch of requests and a main forum thread concerning itself with the subject of Linux for GOG. You can find it here.
    Oh Okay, then.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast