Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Continuing changes to Tutorials and Tips - please read

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Continuing changes to Tutorials and Tips - please read

Update 7/3/2012:

1. As we are progressing in the transition some people choose to move their tutorials out of ubuntu space, to various third party web sites (blogs, web pages, etc). We have no problem with this decision, however, posting a link back to the fourms, without permission from staff, is considered spam.

2. Staff is here to help you transition tutorials to the wiki, not to maintain abandoned tutorials or to assist moving out of Ubuntu namespace (forums/wiki/askubuntu).

3. We are going to close this section to new tutorials now. Threads in this section are for threads discussing wiki pages, coordinating effort, discussing changes, asking for help with technical information or wiki formatting, etc.

Update bodhi.zazen:

1. There is a script available to help convert forums posts to wiki syntax.

See bodhi.zazen's script

Please send any suggestions for improvements or bugs with the script to bodhi.zazen in PM on the forums or on #ubuntuforums.

You can also discuss the project on #ubuntu-wiki

2. There is some confusion about the wiki.

help.ubuntu.com is for documentation
    wiki.ubuntu.com is for teams and projects

The tutorials forum has been an invaluable resource for the ubuntu community, however, as the community has grown, the time has come to move this activity to the community wiki.

Advantage wiki: Community maintained, peer reviewed, and easier to maintain.

Disadvantage forums posts: Limited peer review and maintenance (only forums staff and the Original Poster).

This does not mean that the tutorial forum will be completely closed.

We propose that:

1. Authors post tutorials on the Ubuntu community wiki. Before starting a new page, search the wiki to see if your content exists and/or simply needs to be updated.
    2. The community assists in both migrating the forums tutorials and maintaining the wiki.
    3. This section should be used to support specific wiki pages. Support questions should be migrated to the support sections.
    4. Collaboration with the community. Other projects (outside the forums) use the wiki documentation.

As far as outdated information is concerned, we would like to archive old threads as either they fall inactive or become outdated. Please report outdated tutorials using the standard method - Report Abuse button.

The wiki that will be home to these new creations will be the https://help.ubuntu.com/community not the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ site

Help for using wiki to create new pages can be found here -

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ForumWikiTeam
    Last edited by Elfy; July 10th, 2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Hyperlink

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Pending Changes to Tutorials and Tips.

I like this idea very much. The search functions built into the wiki are far superior to the forums, for one. I think it makes a lot of sense to focus all tutorial effort in one place, rather than try to do the same thing twice.
    This section would make a great support area for the wiki, for new users to post "I didn't understand section foo in the bar wiki page" and receive clarification, also for wiki discussion and critique.
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1*\infty on this one!

I hope very soon to return to full force contributions to the Wiki. BTW I see some discussion about the move to SuMO on the ubuntu-doc mailing list (I haven't really followed it) - courtesy Michael Hall et al; if that materializes, it shall be even more awesome!
    Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just to be clear, even though it is included on the Documentation Team wiki,the community documentation area is help.ubuntu.com/community

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    Just to be clear, even though it is included on the Documentation Team wiki,the community documentation area is help.ubuntu.com/community
    Thanks for clarifying that - had a chat on IRC with coalwater - I was fairly positive that the help.ubuntu.com area was the right one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    The tutorials forum has been an invaluable resource for the ubuntu community, however, as the community has grown, the time has come to move this activity to the community wiki.
    Unless this wiki can be read through my RSS Reader on my mobile phone then it's useless to me.

What a shame... I love reading these Tips & Tricks articles...oh well, how's the saying go; all good things come to an end.

I guess I'll have to move to Howtoforge...

Beans

This is good news. Hope this is very soon. Looking forward for this!

Beans
    Hidden!

I find the wikis confusing and disorientating when searching, and often end up down the rabbit hole. At least with the forum you know where you are and search is straight forward.

I believe it will be a great loss to the forum if Tutorials and Tips were to go, and all that will happen is that good tutorials and tips will be "lost" in other threads or to other sites (including the wikis)

I am a change "agent", but in this case I think we are wrong to change too much.

Ubuntuforums provides everything in one place, that's why it is the number one forum on the interweb.
    No longer participating......

Beans

As someone who has spent many years building guides in the Tutorials and Tips section of these Forums I would be deeply disappointed to see this section changed in this way. I would echo Jose Catre-Vandis's statement:

Ubuntuforums provides everything in one place, that's why it is the number one forum on the interweb.
    Removal of the heart of Tutorials and Tips would significantly lessen the value of these great Forums.....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Although I do recognize the advantages of a wiki I must agree with Jose and Andrew. Many of the tutorials and tips fill a specific niche, and the format of a forum seems to fit them more appropriately. I think it's also an easier method to get help with the particular topic.

Also, what's the plan for existing, active posts within Tutorials and Tips? The OP indicates that they are to be migrated to the wiki with assistance of the community. I'm not really sure what that means.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast