Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Lucid Lynx Flash update today not working. Version 11.2.202

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lucid Lynx Flash update today not working. Version 11.2.202

Quote Originally Posted by BobSongs View Post
    Results:
    Pros: Youtube videos played correctly (no more blue human skin).
    Cons: When scrolling the Youtube page up and down with my mouse wheel, the Flashplayer crashed displaying sad-looking Lego-type block. Pausing the video and restarting resulted in another crash. Clicking the video ahead or behind the play point caused yet another crash. At other times the player simply crashed without provocation.
    Untick the option HWDecode in Flash-Aid tweaks to avoid instability. But then you need to disable hardare acceleration in Flash Settings.

Next Step
    Opened Synaptic Package Manager to remove all Adobe references (adobe-flashplugin, adobe-flash-properties-gtk) and tried various other methods from the Flash-Aid menu. All other methods failed claiming a 404 error. Removed Flash-Aid from my plug-ins.
    That's because Adobe removed the last beta from their site. You need to click "Check Update" in Flash-Aid menu, so it can rfetreive the new ulr. However, since there is no more Beta, the downloaded file will be the same as the stable version from the repos.

SUCCESSFUL SOLUTION:
    Followed the advice listed as a bandaid solution here. Placed a copy of libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer

Results:
    Pros: The Flash player at the Youtube site no longer crashes, no longer has difficulties when jumping through the video's time line.
    Cons: Wasted too much time trying other solutions.
    Keep in mind this is the unsafe solution. Besides, you could simply puth the file inside ~/.mozilla/plugins.

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1953796

Beans

Re: Flash update today not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Donaldson View Post
    Bandaid solution-

Extract libflashplayer.so (11.1.102.55) from file downloaded at http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Utili...ux-18853.shtml

Move libflashplayer.so to folder usr/lib/flashplugin-installer

Worked on the chromium, firefox, seamonkey, midori
    Help please!
    I tried this, but there was no flashplugin-installer folder...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It depends on how you installed flash. You may have /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin instead. If so, libflashplayer.so goes in that folder.

However, that linux.softpedia.com link won't help anymore -- it's been updated and now contains the same
    11.2.202.228 version that's causing the problem. Instead of that one, you can download this file:
    http://ubuntu.wbac.ac.th/archive-can...ucid1_i386.deb, extract it and use the libflashplayer.so contained there.
    Last edited by r.stiltskin; April 18th, 2012 at 11:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by daviddixit View Post
    Help please!
    I tried this, but there was no flashplugin-installer folder...
    See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1953796

Beans

I had problems with this too. First of all, there is a difference between "flashinstaller" and "adobe flash".

I am using chrome, and for some reason Chrome came with 2 different outcomes when I had either one of them.
    When I had flashinstaller i would just go black when playing flash movies, and when having adobe flash, it wouldnt even recognize that I had flash installed...

So I deledted everything and installed adobe flash from adobe.com.
    Went to a terminal and entered; sudo nautilus.
    Went to /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin and copied libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins
    Restarted chrome... Bang, worked like a charm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Had same problem with flash not working.
    With adobe no longer supporting flash for linux I went to youtube site that tests html5:
    http://www.youtube.com/html5
    I clicked on the link at the bottom which says "Join the html5 trial"
    then refreshed by browser (Firefox).
    Lo and behold Youtube videos would play again!
    Apparently Flash is dying on the web due to Html5 replacing it. Many websites now use html5 instead of flash. However not all websites use html5 yet so this "workaround" won't work for all sites. Most major sites do however use html5 though.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Its a lot easier than constantly fiddling with system files.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tstduke View Post
    Had same problem with flash not working.
    With adobe no longer supporting flash for linux I went to youtube site that tests html5:
    http://www.youtube.com/html5
    I clicked on the link at the bottom which says "Join the html5 trial"
    then refreshed by browser (Firefox).
    Lo and behold Youtube videos would play again!
    Apparently Flash is dying on the web due to Html5 replacing it. Many websites now use html5 instead of flash. However not all websites use html5 yet so this "workaround" won't work for all sites. Most major sites do however use html5 though.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Its a lot easier than constantly fiddling with system files.
    No they don't. Most major sites still use flash.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    You can install it via Flash-Aid. You have downloaded a big tar.gz file from Adobe and unpacked it. Inside there were several other flash packages. Select the one according to your architecture, but don't unpack it. Just copy it, then open Flash-Aid Advanced Mode, select "Custom" in the installation options and paste the file in the field. Click the Script tab, then execute.

Thanks for the advice. It has put an end to a week of hair pulling and teeth gnashing. I now have flash working on Ubuntu 11.10

Sean

Beans

For those that are still having problems and can not find a copy of an old version, you can get it directly from Adobe

https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/ge....x86_64.tar.gz

Apparently if you want a different version just replace the version number in the link above.

good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just want to say a couple things for folks still searching flash installation problems. First, I've been using flash aid for a while now, and I think it's really great. I still have trouble remembering where everything gets stored, so it's really nice that I can just trust flash aid to remove any potentially conflicting copies of flash before installation. It's reliable and pretty easy to learn all its ins and outs.

The other thing I wanted to say, I recall someone mentioned that flash was recognized in their browser as being installed, but still seemed to be uninstalled and not working. I had the same issue with my laptop's lubuntu installation. I had manually copied the zip file from adobe to my /user/local/src directory as root, unpacked it, chose the correct version and deleted the rest, then installed it. It showed up in "about plugins", and in the plugin menu in firefox, but there was only a blank screen - basically a hole in the page where the video should've been. I discovered it was a permissions problem. For some reason lubuntu assigns read and write status to the owner (root), but gives no rights at all to either "group" or "others". By right-clicking the flash plugin file (where I had put it in /usr/local/src - which is owned by root) and selecting properties (as root), I changed the permissions for both group and others to "read", and it was fixed.
    MB:ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 780G HDMI, Proc: Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6 GHz 2x512KB L2 Cache, Graph: Int. ATI Radeon HD 3200, Aud: Int. Realtek ALC1200 8 channels, Ram: 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 SDRAM, Monitor: Dell SE198WFP 19" Wide FPM

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast