Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: RTL8111/8168B fix script for ubuntu

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    @home
    Beans
    15
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: RTL8111/8168B fix script for ubuntu

    Doesn't any of the other commands (depmod/modprobe/update-initramfs) need the blacklist?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    23

    Re: RTL8111/8168B fix script for ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by ahendriks View Post
    Doesn't any of the other commands (depmod/modprobe/update-initramfs) need the blacklist?
    I don't think so, thats for on boot only I believe, I could be wrong because I never build modular kernel, I am a gentoo guy for desktop before I switched to ubuntu recently. These are the commands I used in order and it worked for me to fix a fresh 11.10 install. I don't see why any of them would use it at all.
    Last edited by jaybutts; March 27th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    23

    Re: RTL8111/8168B fix script for ubuntu

    Hmm actually I think your onto something because I just rebooted and it loaded both modules, I will look into this.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    23

    Re: RTL8111/8168B fix script for ubuntu

    Ok your right again it has to be done before the other steps, I have made it so it is done after successful compilation. We will just have to deal with it adding on failed installs in the uninstall or some other way. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by jaybutts; March 27th, 2012 at 10:45 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    12

    Re: RTL8111/8168B fix script for ubuntu

    Thanks for your help, but still getting the same problem as shown.


    Code:
    martin@martin-GA-870A-UD3:/usr/src$ tar -xjf r8168-8.028.00.tar.bz2
    tar (child): r8168-8.028.00.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    23

    Re: RTL8111/8168B fix script for ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by martin1969 View Post
    Thanks for your help, but still getting the same problem as shown.


    Code:
    martin@martin-GA-870A-UD3:/usr/src$ tar -xjf r8168-8.028.00.tar.bz2
    tar (child): r8168-8.028.00.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    It looks like maybe your download is failing, probably due to the bad network drives, what is the output of:

    cd /usr/src;ls

    try download this file and putting it in /usr/src
    http://r8168.googlecode.com/files/r8168-8.028.00.tar.bz2

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    23

    Re: RTL8111/8168B fix script for ubuntu

    Ok well I had some good testing opportunities today and found some bugs. I will be updating the script asap.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    12

    Re: RTL8111/8168B fix script for ubuntu

    cd /usr/src;ls

    gives

    linux-headers-3.0.0-12 linux-headers-3.0.0-17
    linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic linux-headers-3.0.0-17-generic
    linux-headers-3.0.0-16 nvidia-current-280.13
    linux-headers-3.0.0-16-generic

    When i try to extract to usr/src it says i don't have enough permissions. All the r8168 files sre in the directory. The r8169 appears to be disabled but still next to the r8168 file in the same directory.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    23

    Re: RTL8111/8168B fix script for ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by martin1969 View Post
    cd /usr/src;ls

    gives

    linux-headers-3.0.0-12 linux-headers-3.0.0-17
    linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic linux-headers-3.0.0-17-generic
    linux-headers-3.0.0-16 nvidia-current-280.13
    linux-headers-3.0.0-16-generic

    When i try to extract to usr/src it says i don't have enough permissions. All the r8168 files sre in the directory. The r8169 appears to be disabled but still next to the r8168 file in the same directory.
    It looks like you are not root, type sudo su -

    This will give you a root shell, then run the script again. Make sure you are using latest version posted on first page because I have done updates periodically. I will solve for this error you experienced. Thank you for your feedback.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    23

    Re: RTL8111/8168B fix script for ubuntu

    Ok I have made a lot of fixes on the original script to call it complete as it has been tested on multiple machines and by several people and all errors are resolved. I have posted that version to the OP, We will call this version 0.1, I wanted to finish 0.2 TEST today but it doesn't look like I will complete it. I will release this version soon which contains update, install, and remove options and better error checking w/ documentation and instructions.

    I also need to work out the error martin experienced above. I think I can just have everything run as sudo so that you can just run the script with sudo like normal but currently you must run it from a real root shell and not sudo. Sorry I didn't think of that because I am a sys admin for a living I run around with root always.
    Last edited by jaybutts; March 28th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •