Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why turning Ubuntu into a touchscreen tablet OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Why turning Ubuntu into a touchscreen tablet OS?

Quote Originally Posted by parkland View Post
    ...Maybe it's possible that we don't yet know what unity is capable of.....
    I do and I embrace it.
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is unity, in the future, possibly capable of being customised to mimic earlier desktop versions?

Why would it be so hard to offer a "classic desktop" version, to those who just can't seem to evolve at the rate ubuntu wants to?

Why can't there be an option when you're installing it, to choose desktops?

If unity isn't flexible enough to make it operate in classic mode, that seems like we're moving backwards altogether, not "evolving" ...
    As Artificial Intelligence says, classic desktop (and classic desktop-no effects) is available in 12.04. Unity is really just a compiz plugin AFAIK and can be removed or disabled. The question becomes what to replace it with. Once 12.04's gnome-shell extensions are functioning properly, It can easily be made to feel much like Gnome2. Then there is Linux Mint which includes MATE, Cinnamon and a customized Gnome-shell. Not to mention Xubuntu, Xfce-desktop, Lubuntu and LXDE desktop. There are many options. It's pretty straightforward to create a Mint 12 Live DVD or Live USB and try the various flavors. Lubuntu works very well on less powerful machines. These ALL have Ubuntu roots. Nobody is being forced to use Unity.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    As Artificial Intelligence says, classic desktop (and classic desktop-no effects) is available in 12.04. Unity is really just a compiz plugin AFAIK and can be removed or disabled. The question becomes what to replace it with. Once 12.04's gnome-shell extensions are functioning properly, It can easily be made to feel much like Gnome2. Then there is Linux Mint which includes MATE, Cinnamon and a customized Gnome-shell. Not to mention Xubuntu, Xfce-desktop, Lubuntu and LXDE desktop. There are many options. It's pretty straightforward to create a Mint 12 Live DVD or Live USB and try the various flavors. Lubuntu works very well on less powerful machines. These ALL have Ubuntu roots. Nobody is being forced to use Unity.
    I'm trying various distro's right now, so far, 2 machines with kubuntu are running 100% cpu all the time , and ubuntu 12.whatever is completely unstable, and linux mint seems to be the next big forecommer of the desktop OS choice.
    You can say anything you want, but ubuntu spent a lot of time being a desktop distro, and now it's just not usable on a desktop, OH WELL, THERES LOTS OF OTHER LINUX AVAILABLE.
    Last edited by parkland; April 5th, 2012 at 07:30 AM.

Beans

Smile Re: Why turning Ubuntu into a touchscreen tablet OS?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    Yes, looks are deceiving. I personally have never seen a touch device that looks like unity. All they did was take the dock that was available for many years at the bottom of the screen and put it on the side. I don't see how that is like a touchscreen OS. A touchscreen OS is set up completely different.
    Also, I like GNOME Shell, and I like the whole concept of Unity, but Xfce looks more GNOME 2-ish, and LXDE, more Windows-like, and they use far less resources than GNOME Shell or Unity, and I just prefer Openbox or Fluxbox over GNOME Shell, Unity, Xfce, and LXDE, TBH.

Openbox and Fluxbox use the least amount of resources possible while being fully functional, and they just look way cooler, especially Fluxbox.

Beans
    Distro

parkland, 12.04 hasn't even been final released yet...it is still in beta...
    that said, on my computer, 12.04 is running very stable, but again, it hasn't been released yet...try it AFTER it is released...

mint doesn't allow you to pre-test it until it releases a release candidate and then a final release (unless you are on their special "testing team")....
    and from my experience, usually mint's release candidate is still full of bugs...many of which he finally does get "ironed out" by the final release (though not all)...

so you download ubuntu early and say it isn't stable enough for you?
    pretty funny...no offense...
    Last edited by craig10x; April 5th, 2012 at 06:33 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    parkland, 12.04 hasn't even been final released yet...it is still in beta...
    that said, on my computer, 12.04 is running very stable, but again, it hasn't been released yet...try it AFTER it is released...

mint doesn't allow you to pre-test it until it releases a release candidate and then a final release (unless you are on their special "testing team")....
    and from my experience, usually mint's release candidate is still full of bugs...many of which he finally does get "ironed out" by the final release (though not all)...

so you download ubuntu early and say it isn't stable enough for you?
    pretty funny...no offense...

Well heck, i'm trying everything, doesn't my plan make better sense than trying older versions? I wouldn't have downloaded anything to begin with if there wasn't a need / want to begin with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why couldn't there have been a "tablet" version of ubuntu, leaving the main OS version as a normal desktop with familiar functionality and navigation?
    a. The "normal" Gnome 2 desktop is incredibly old-fashioned. It has barely any more useful features than Mac OS 9.
    b. Gnome 2 is no longer maintained by its developers. You can't ship obsolete and unmaintained software in an enterprise distro. You shouldn't even do it for a home user distro.

I just feel like its a real pity, ubuntu was doing SOOOOO great, and so many people were so comfortable with it, then this radical change that was just to much for some people.
    People said the same thing about the Apple Mac. They said that Apple should have stuck with DOS 4.0 and the Apple 2 applications. They described the GUI as "a game" and "visually tiring".

Sure, it's comfortable to stay in the womb... but wouldn't you rather be a man than a fetus? For both baby and software, the teething trouble just leads to a better existence.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    a. The "normal" Gnome 2 desktop is incredibly old-fashioned. It has barely any more useful features than Mac OS 9.
    b. Gnome 2 is no longer maintained by its developers. You can't ship obsolete and unmaintained software in an enterprise distro. You shouldn't even do it for a home user distro.

People said the same thing about the Apple Mac. They said that Apple should have stuck with DOS 4.0 and the Apple 2 applications. They described the GUI as "a game" and "visually tiring".

Sure, it's comfortable to stay in the womb... but wouldn't you rather be a man than a fetus? For both baby and software, the teething trouble just leads to a better existence.

Well not to veer completely off in a different direction, but it seems like these turbo fast releases are just not helping anything either. Ubuntu is great, and I've appreciated it; but it would be nice to see slower releases, and more stable and refined releases.

I remember when I upgraded to the version that installed the new ext4 filessystem... and lost literally hundreds of files off my hard drive. Then I searched and found that there are still bugs that cause massive filesystem corruption etc..... Why on earth would anyone release that when theres a serious bug like that? It would make sense to me, that instead of trying to keep up with other OS's performance, maybe get it working properly first.

It seems that although Unity is certainly usable, and by no means considered a bug, It seemed more important to rush it to the next release instead of refining little issues and common complaints out of it.

Beans
    Distro

I remember when I upgraded to the version that installed the new ext4 filessystem... and lost literally hundreds of files off my hard drive. Then I searched and found that there are still bugs that cause massive filesystem corruption etc..... Why on earth would anyone release that when theres a serious bug like that?
    You blame ubuntu for deleting your files when you didn't read the release notes, nor back up your data? Where are these massive file system corruptions?
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans
    Hidden!

You just can't have it your way without making it yourself. If you're prepared to spend the 2-10 hours experimenting with different things, you'll get there.
    *** WARNING - this poster is a 13 year old - please take appropriate adult advice before following any of his advice. Thank you ***
    If what I say seems inappropriate, I might have had a meltdown. I have Aspergers syndrome.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast