Thread: Ibus "No input window" on Ubuntu 11.10

Beans

Ibus "No input window" on Ubuntu 11.10

I have recently installed Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit onto my computer. I am trying to get ibus to work so that I can use different alphabets and languages. I have installed m17n and added alternate input methods, but no matter where I click, I get the message "No input window." How can I fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ibus "No input window" on Ubuntu 11.10

Hi AquaLover2911,

You have only to run some application which you can input text into it (e.g. 'gedit', 'LibreOffice Writer', etc) before you would click ibus icon on the panel to avoid getting the message "No input window".

Beans

Yeah, but that's what I mean. It doesn't matter what program I'm in. I've tried using ibus while in Empathy, LibreOffice, and gedit, but it still says no input window regardless. I don't know how to make it see the input window.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, really?
    Hmm..., it is strange...
    Sorry, I also cannot think how to fix it at present.

Beans

Update: It has come to my attention that part of the problem may be that when I go into the language settings, I am unable to set ibus as the system input method. The dropdown menu exists but is empty. It has been empty, and I have been unable to select a system input method, since my most recent installation. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling ibus, and no difference.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by AquaLover2911 View Post
    I am unable to set ibus as the system input method. The dropdown menu exists but is empty. It has been empty, and I have been unable to select a system input method, since my most recent installation.
    I would like to ask you which languages would you like to input?

Have you installed those languages with "Language Support"?

Beans

I would like to input English (variant alphabets) and Esperanto mainly. I have full language support installed for those, and the computer even has Esperanto as the default language system-wide. I have the variant English alphabets installed in the m17n folder as they should be, and ibus sees them. All my ibus settings are as I had them before the reinstall, but I can't seem to tell the computer to use ibus as the input method.

Beans
    Distro

It is really strange..., It seems your ways and means to enable ibus have no lack.

By the way, I found following thread which is similar to your case, however the case happened on Gnome 3.

"[SOLVED] ibus no input window in gnome 3"
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1759799

I just wanted to inform you of above in case if you have not read it yet.