Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LibreOffice bugs

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

LibreOffice bugs

Both the current and previous versions of LibreOffice seem to contain more bugs than the tropical rainforest. Isn't it about time that Ubuntu reverted to OpenOffice?
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: LibreOffice bugs

Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Bugs? What bugs? It's pretty stable for me (version 3.5)
    And please no OpenOffice. Oracle abandoned it for good, and I doubt Apache (which is the new maintainer of OpenOffice) will be able to do anything better than what the folks at LibreOffice have done/currently doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

With each new release of software you will find new bugs but at the same time you will also see some of the old bugs gone. It's the nature of the beast. As for reverting back to OOo, I hope that never happens.

Beans

Anything specific? Otherwise we'd have to treat you as a troll.

The general consensus I've read in reviews seems to be that recent releases of LibreOffice is less buggy than OpenOffice, not more.

On the other hand, given that the LibreOffice development office since OpenOffice is very aggressive, theoretically - and indeed LibreOffice has acknowledged it - something can easily break as they made a whole ton of changes in the underlying code. Unfortunately because OpenOffice was so badly maintained by Sun/Oracle, this is pretty much a necessary evil and required for progress. As I stated before though, few people seem to have made this complaint in reviews.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello All

Version 3.2 -> 3.5 saw some UI changes, particularily drawing tools moved around the menus.

Specific examples of bugs welcome as I spend a lot of time in LO/oOo and would like to reproduce them.

I'm finding LO 3.5 ok as it happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

libre office has bugs, of course it does. even minesweeper has bugs.

the real question is, what are you doing about it?

even if you don't have any programming experience you can still report a bug and give as much information as you can to a developer so that s/he can fix the problem then BAM no more bug.

Beans

LibreOffice has an active developer base and has been stable since 3.3 beta. I think I've used every single iteration of Open Office, and then LibreOffice, since around 2006 and LibreOffice 3.51 is the best release so far. Even AbiWord is quite respectable these days, for people who just need a lightweight word processor.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by insane_alien View Post
    libre office has bugs, of course it does. even minesweeper has bugs.

the real question is, what are you doing about it?

even if you don't have any programming experience you can still report a bug and give as much information as you can to a developer so that s/he can fix the problem then BAM no more bug.
    Indeed I have reported a number of bugs, particularly with Impress. I'm finding the current version much less stable than the oo in terms of crashes and formatting and save errors. The handling of animated gifs leaves lot to be desired. I'm not trolling, just baffled.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by timgood View Post
    Indeed I have reported a number of bugs, particularly with Impress. I'm finding the current version much less stable than the oo in terms of crashes and formatting and save errors. The handling of animated gifs leaves lot to be desired. I'm not trolling, just baffled.
    You could have shared the bug links at the outset. That would have been informative.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast