Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Now 15.10 is underway and we expect a lot of questions as usual.
    If anyone has suggestions for original post please let me know and I'll add them.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Unhappy Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

I upgraded from 14.10 to 15 using the release upgrade command. Now I get this error
    Drag and drop of image is not working so
    "Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init.
    /bin/sh: 0: Can't open auto"

I went through a bunch of steps as found on google search but I am unable to fix it.
    Rebooted using 15.0 iso image, clicked on try ubuntu and did boot-repair -- failed
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/14113161/

As http://pinoy-computing-tips.blogspot...nit-found.html
    did the "fsck command" but it is still giving this error.

I have a lot of important data on this OS so I desperately want to fix this. Please help
    Last edited by psmrima; December 20th, 2015 at 07:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Are you able to see your data from the live boot?
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

No I didn't.

Also I am running ubuntu in vmplayer on windows 10 desktop.

Beans

I upgraded my desktop from 15.04 to 15.10 no problem

The Laptop I tried and left it. I'm not getting an error, but the splash is on constantly
    How can I resume/restart the installation or even go back to 15.04 to again attempt it?

I can created and burned a 15.10 iso...and it is working, but I would rather avoid a clean reinstall

Beans

I can no longer set interlingua with the "Language Support".
    In Ubuntu version 15.04, although the Interlingua as the basis language change was not available during the intallation of Ubuntu, I could set with the "Language Support". Making the upgrade to version 16.04 of Ubuntu application "Language Support" no longer function to interlanguage, while other language, for example the Italian, it works correctly. Have you any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Looks like it should be available: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...nguage-pack-ia

How does 16.04.1 or 16.10 work in a live boot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think I am on the right "Thread", please review and move to appropriate thread if I am incorrect to post in this thread. I am into my third day of using my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr". My first "Thread" is titled "Installing Ubuntu on old Desktop without any OS" in the New to Ubuntu Section. I am happy thus far, but I have much to learn i.e., Linux terminology, Linux architecture, etc.,,, I installed Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, but I don't recall if I was prompted to upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS during the installation or after the installation was complete. I elected to upgrade Trusty Tahr and immediately after installing 14.04 I again was prompted if I wanted to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, "Xenial Xerus". In the past two days I accepted a few updates that I believe are part of the Trusty Tahr baseline or is the appropriate term "Distros" because I haven't initiated any downloads from the Ubuntu Software Center. I read on this board, other Linux resources on the internet and in several Linux publications [I have a questions about the publications too] that Linux users should only use the Linux operating systems that have "support teams".

Do you recommend upgrading to 16.04 or that I should stay with 14.04?
    What are the advantages vice the disadvantages between 16.04 and 14.04?
    What is the difference between a distros and a flavor?

I observed that my system details illustrates 2.9 GiB Memory, but I know I have 4GB of RAM installed in my desktop; however, I also noticed a 1.0 GB Volume. I opened it and noticed that it is my windows and WinXP stuff.

I don't recall, but I think I accidentally mounted both my hard drive and the my WinXP partition (the 1.0 GB Volume) when I was attempting to view the properties. Do I need to unmount both or did this occur automatically during the installation?

What command and/or program may I use to see a report stating the configuration my Linux Ubuntu 14.04?

Thank you,
    Last edited by wireman67; November 20th, 2016 at 10:29 PM. Reason: grammar and punctuation

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wireman67 View Post
    What command and/or program may I use to see a report stating the configuration my Linux Ubuntu 14.04?
    I don't know exactly what you mean by configuration but the command
    Code:
    sudo lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt
    should provide a beginning. Please post lshw.txt in CODE tags.

If 14.04 does all that you need you can use it for as long as it's supported. For Ubuntu this means through april 2019, for the other Buntus 2017.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

FWIW, the tutorials mentioned in Post 5 are by psychocats. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast