Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

Beans

Re: I upgraded, and now I have this error...

i upgraded to 12.04 from 11.10
    there was some problem while clearing the files and i didn't take notice of that.
    the process was finished successfully.
    now the ubuntu 12.04 is not working only the startpage appears and neither the keyboard or the mouse work when it starts?
    i am dying to use the new ubuntu 12.04.
    what should i do ?

Beans

This will help somebody, I wish I had read what I am about to write before upgrading from 11.10 to 12.04...

The upgrade might fail right in the middle. If you do decide to go with a fresh install of 12.04 make sure you are certain that you choose the proper drive to install it to. Don't choose sda when you should be choosing sdb, for example. Especially if sda has all of your family pictures that your wife has told you to backup several times, and you hadn't gotten around to it, and all of your music that you tirelessly ripped from the cds that are gathering dust in the attic.
    Upon realizing that you have just written over your pictures and music, you may want to log back into your previously working 11.10 only to find that gparted won't load, and testdisk is taking forever to analyze the 750GB disk, cross your fingers that the Ubuntu load didn't write over the files you want to recover.

Just don't be apathetic about the upgrade, it isn't a seamless as you would hope. Be very careful and don't do stupid stuff. Oh boy, what a day! Oh man, compiz just failed as I wrote this, oh please don't interrupt the testdisk, its at 50%!
    Last edited by chipchop; May 24th, 2012 at 07:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dalbir View Post
    i upgraded to 12.04 from 11.10
    there was some problem while clearing the files and i didn't take notice of that.
    the process was finished successfully.
    now the ubuntu 12.04 is not working only the startpage appears and neither the keyboard or the mouse work when it starts?
    i am dying to use the new ubuntu 12.04.
    what should i do ?
    I'm in a similar position as you are (I started the upgrade, came back a few times to fill in the blanks and and the end didn't take notice of errors and rebooted when asked to). Now I got the start page (only the page with the background color and nothing else) and the keyboard/mouse don't work.

Have you found a solution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've tried to install ubuntu 12.04 but the installation crashed every time it went to the phase when it turns on the webcam to take the user photo. I installed version 11 and all was going well, all worked out fine, even the webcam. Then I upgraded to 12.04 and the camera doesn't work. how do i solve this? I'm using a Sony vaio VGN-FE31M.

Whe i use cheese, i only see a green screen and some distorted colours, i don't know how to make the webcam work.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You have posted the same question several times without getting an answer. This indicates that noone has an exact solution to offer, and I doubt that posting again changes this.

As 12.04 does not represent any major news compared to 11.10, my advice is to stay with 11.10 for as long as it is supported. When 12.10 is released and getting stable (say, two months after release) you could give this one a try, still having 11.10 as plan B.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's what i'm doing :/ cleaning up my pc to get a new fresh install of ubuntu 11 oneiric... are there any differences between 11 and 12? The unity and kernel and stuff is the same if we do the updates right? what are the differences? i can't find anything online about that

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There are always lots of small changes, but nothing major. Best is if you try a live boot and judge for yourself.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

11 is cool. the monitor brightness now works (i could change the light on the screen on version 12) and the webcam is working fine. But there are some minor bugs with the unity bar, some icons disappear and appears a ghost app square, it's kind of weird. but it works pretty smoothly, even better than 12.04

Beans

1) My desktop pc's 22 inch Samsung monitor is not a 'laptop monitor?

I have a UPS on my pc, perhaps because it has a battery, the entire PC is considered a laptop? Silly. SIlverStone Fortress FT02 case, with 5 hard drives, etc does NOT make a laptop.

1) My sound card sometimes works, sometimes not.

My Asus Xonar D2 has worked wonderfully under 11.04 and 11.10. I used to get 5.1 sound (I saw another complain about this), but I turned it off and made it stereo for better sound. I do NOT play games on my PC.

I used to see an icon in the upper right of the screen for sound, all gone.

All worked just fine under 11.04 and 11.10. 12.04 is giving me more grief than the initial install.

Has the quality department taken a vacation?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Solved: NVIDIA Driver not enabled
    As could be expected, I upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04, but I was using Xubuntu 11.10, and now I only get a terminal login, and must manually start the XServer, severely limiting what I can do. I thought it might have something to do with the fact that the upgrade was for Ubuntu, and it messed up the packages (Desktop environments don't play nice together in my experience), but even manually erasing the disk (backed up to 16GB flash drive first) and installing Xubuntu 12.04 fresh has this same problem. Any suggestions? I'd like to stay with Xubuntu, Unity is too Mac-like for my tastes.

Deleted problematic user, saved home folder, then created a new one with the same name
    New Problem: I now boot to the normal login screen, except that when I attempt to login, it just blanks the screen for a moment, and then opens up the login screen again. The guest account works okay, but not my main account, either through the button, or using "other" with the username and password. I will attempt to create another user and login as that user.

More info on New issue: Creating another user makes everything work okay for that user, I'll see about mucking with the user settings somewhere to fix my main account.

Now I don't have the panels, but I've fixed that problem before by starting the window manager in .bashrc. I'll try it in .profile this time so it doesn't do that every time I open up a terminal emulator.
    Last edited by Python Jedi; June 26th, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Issues solved

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast