Thread: How to tell if an app is 64-bit or 32-bit and other instalation difficulties

Beans

How to tell if an app is 64-bit or 32-bit and other instalation difficulties

I am trying to install a fairly obscure piece of software called GRASS. I made various attempts to install it from various sources. It did not appear in 'dash-home' so I assumed all my attempts at installation were unsuccessful. However when I typed 'grass' in the terminal it appeared. (As you've probably worked by now out I'm not very competent with Linux). The thing is I dont know which of my attempts was the one that worked so I dont know if it is a 32 or 64-bit version of GRASS.

1) Is there a way to 'ask' the application if it is a 32 or 64-bit software? Or can you figure this out by looking at where it is installed.

2) Is there a flag or something I can use for the apt-get install (or whatever) to make it install in a different folder if I need several versions of the same software?

3) I may have to attempt to install it by compiling some source. Will it compile as a 64bit app by default as I have a 64-bit OS or will I need to edit the installation script

I'm on Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit.

Thanks.
    Last edited by RevRhubar; March 23rd, 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to tell if an app is 64-bit or 32-bit and other instalation difficulties

If you installed it via the package manager then dpkg will know about it, so try asking dpkg (this will provide information about the architecture as well)

Code:
    dpkg-query -s grass
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Re: How to tell if an app is 64-bit or 32-bit and other instalation difficulties

1) Maybe:
    Code:
    file `which grass`
    2) If building from source, you can usually use the --prefix flag. If installing from apt/.deb, then the path is predetermined.

3) It should build 64-bit automatically (unless you pass configure flags)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    1) Maybe:
    Code:
    file `which grass`
    Is there a typo in that command? (it wouldn't work on my system)
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

Beans

If you don't have grass, then it won't work. Also, note those are backticks (Shift + ~), not apostrophes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sneaky backticks

Beans

Thanks for all your answers.

"dpkg-query -s grass" Says "Architecture: amd64".

Just to be clear, can you someone confirm that this is saying that it is the GRASS software that is amd64 (and not the OS or anything)? (The manual on this command doesnt really explain it.)

Code:
    Package: grass
    Priority: optional
    Section: science
    Installed-Size: 41568
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Architecture: amd64
    Version: 6.4.1-1build1
    Provides: grass641
    Depends: lesstif2 (>= 1:0.94.4), libc6 (>= 2.11), libcairo2 (>= 1.6.0), libfftw3-3, libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libgdal1-1.7.0, libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libglu1-mesa | libglu1, libmysqlclient16 (>= 5.1.50-1), libncurses5 (>= 5.5-5~), libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4), libpq5 (>= 8.4~), libproj0, libreadline6 (>= 6.0), libsqlite3-0 (>= 3.5.9), libstdc++6 (>= 4.4.0), libtiff4, libx11-6, libxmu6, libxt6, tcl8.5 (>= 8.5.0), tk8.5 (>= 8.5.0), unixodbc (>= 2.2.11), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), xterm | x-terminal-emulator, python (>= 2.5), python-numpy, python-opengl, python-wxgtk2.8
    Recommends: ghostscript
    Suggests: grass-doc, gdal-bin, proj-bin, e00compr, avce00, gpsbabel, gpstrans, gnuplot, xml2, wget | curl, netpbm
    Description: Geographic Resources Analysis Support System
     Commonly referred to as GRASS, this is a Geographic Information
     System (GIS) used for geospatial data management and analysis,
     image processing, graphics/map production, spatial modeling, and
     visualization. GRASS is currently used in academic and commercial
     settings around the world, as well as by many government agencies
     and environmental consulting companies.
    Original-Maintainer: Debian GIS Project <pkg-grass-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
    Homepage: http://grass.osgeo.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi, that is what it looks like it is saying to me.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, it's the package that's amd64. Logically, dpkg is describing the package, not the OS it's installed in.

Beans

If the package had 32-bit binaries, it would depend on ia32-libs.