Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What Flavour of Linux Next ?

Beans

Re: What Flavour of Linux Next ?

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    There's always Hannah Montana Linux.
    OMG that's actually a thing... I'm... speechless...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I want chocolate flavour!

Beans

My netbook is currently running Pinguy OS, and for the moment I am not an Ubuntu user, but I will be when 12.04 comes out, both because I want a change and because I plan to use Ubuntu as a product for my future computer business which I am working on. Now that I can easily install MATE, I'll be able to dive into Ubuntu without going crazy. However, my friend has talked me into trying Debian, and so I am going to do that, and it may end up on my Netbook instead. I don't think I'll be able to sell that netbook model in my business anyway, as Windows 8 is not far off and will lock down that and most other modern computers

I also have my eye on Aurora and I may try Dreamlinux again one day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    True, but IMHO a "shortcut" like ArchBang or Chakra won't really help you decide "is Arch right for me?" like working methodically through the Beginner's Guide.
    Technically Chakra isn't "Arch" the way Archbang is. Chakra is an independent distro which isn't compatible with Arch anymore. The relationship between Arch and Chakra is more like between Debian and Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Technically Chakra isn't "Arch" the way Archbang is. Chakra is an independent distro which isn't compatible with Arch anymore. The relationship between Arch and Chakra is more like between Debian and Ubuntu.
    Thanks for the update, clearly it has been a few years since I tried Chakra.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Questions Arch can be answered by the almighty Arch Wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unity

Based on that, I'd stay, Stick with Ubuntu if Unity is your desktop environment of choice.

Arch is not a "download and take it for a spin over the weekend" type of distro. Installing it will take you a day or 2 working carefully step-by-step from this guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide
    I disagree. I gave Arch a try on a whim. I just downloaded the ISO, rebooted, and installed Arch on my whole system.. While it does take a bit more thinking than installing Ubuntu I don't think its very difficult. I think sometimes people try to make anything sound like it is harder than using Ubuntu. It only took me a couple hours to get it installed and XFCE up and running.

Of course I had some problems I had to look up and fix. But I've also had that with every single distro I've ever tried. The people in IRC #archlinux are a great help. Now I have been using Arch for about 7 months and wouldn't use another distro. I reccomend anybody that wants to get it a try to do so.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    I have a better idea.

How about we work on getting Microsoft, Adobe, Apple and others to release versions of their commercial software for Linux, and work on getting F/OSS alternatives whipped into shape as full, competitive alternatives, instead of wasting precious time and money on screwing around with solid, proven UI paradigms? Hmm?
    That's not a bad idea, however I see no reason to stop a perfectly good and valid discussion of Linux distributions just because of that goal. They are not mutually exclusive.

I would love to have Photoshop, iPhoto, MS Word, iTunes, RapidWeaver, QuarkXPress, QuickBooks, various games, all running natively on Linux, along side such great software as K3B, Chrome, Thunderbird, VLC, HandBrake, and others. That day comes, sign me up! because I'll be all over that stuff.

Until then, o great and wise Linux community, kindly shut up.

Thanks.
    I very much doubt you will ever see that happen. Those programs, particularly the Apple ones, thrive because people are forced to use a certain platform in order to run them. They have a monopoly lock, they have exclusivity. And these big companies aren't going to give it up just to satisfy the needs of a small percentage of Desktop users. Windows has about 90% market share, and Apple's market share is growing. If you want to make money, you don't write software for the market with the least people in it....and I find it unlikely that it would be worth the while of these companies to develop alternate versions of the software for that same small market. That's unfortunately just how it is right now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwklinuxguy View Post
    That's not a bad idea, however I see no reason to stop a perfectly good and valid discussion of Linux distributions just because of that goal. They are not mutually exclusive.

I very much doubt you will ever see that happen. Those programs, particularly the Apple ones, thrive because people are forced to use a certain platform in order to run them. They have a monopoly lock, they have exclusivity. And these big companies aren't going to give it up just to satisfy the needs of a small percentage of Desktop users. Windows has about 90% market share, and Apple's market share is growing. If you want to make money, you don't write software for the market with the least people in it....and I find it unlikely that it would be worth the while of these companies to develop alternate versions of the software for that same small market. That's unfortunately just how it is right now.
    Which, unfortunately, is what prevents desktop Linux from being useful for me. Now, server or even embedded Linux, on the other hand, are quite useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm in the process of building a respin of 12.04 without Unity. Going to do LXDE and Gnome3. The respin I'm building is going to be for a corporate environment if I can get all the packages to fit on a CD. Don't have a name, logo, or anything for it yet but the experience has been fun building. I'd love to remove all of the ubuntu bits (unity, ubuntu1, custom firefox stuffs) but still give all the credit back to ubuntu when it's done.

Other than that, I use Arch, Fedora, Mint, Backtrack, and a handful of other smaller distros (DSL, Puppy) for the work I do. My favorite I keep going back to is still Ubuntu running Gnome DE.

Beans

I am running all out Fedora Core 16 these days with Gnome 3.2.
    Its running wonderfully, fast and stable. Super easy to install as it detected my 4 drive raid array and set it up without any issues what so ever. They have came a long ways with stability the past few years and GNOME is doing better in 3.2 then it was when I tested the BETA. Still missing a few options such as a theme selector, but there is software in the repos already to work around this.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast