Thread: Help! Can't torrent any more!

Beans

Help! Can't torrent any more! [Solved - Got qBittornet to open magnet links]

When I go to torrent now I have to use a magnet link bit it wants to open in deluge which doesn't work as it doesn't *** the torrent to the list. Because it's a magent I can't 'open' it with something else like qBittorent.

I am currently using the uTorrent server to torrent but I can't stand using it because I need to use my browser to use it.

So is this a way for me to:
    1) Get qBittorent to open a magnet link?
    2) Get qBittornet to be my default torrent program instead of Deluge?
    3) Another way for me to torrent using magnet links?

Thanks

P.S I know torrenting is an naughty subject to bring up but we do have a torrent program by deafault so I assume it's okay to talk about it.
    Last edited by DS McGuire; March 23rd, 2012 at 08:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Help! Can't torrent any more!

Quote Originally Posted by DS McGuire View Post
    When I go to torrent now I have to use a magnet link bit it wants to open in deluge which doesn't work as it doesn't *** the torrent to the list. Because it's a magent I can't 'open' it with something else like qBittorent.

I am currently using the uTorrent server to torrent but I can't stand using it because I need to use my browser to use it.

So is this a way for me to:
    1) Get qBittorent to open a magnet link?
    2) Get qBittornet to be my default torrent program instead of Deluge?
    3) Another way for me to torrent using magnet links?

Thanks

P.S I know torrenting is an naughty subject to bring up but we do have a torrent program by default so I assume it's okay to talk about it.

1. There should be an "add link to torrent" selection if you want to use magnet links. Haven't used Qbittorent in a while but I'm pretty sure of it its there.

2. There should be an selection in options to associate Qbitorrent with magnet links.

3.Im not sure what you mean.. You can use other clients like transmission if you dont want qbittorrent

Its not a naughty subject if you only download legal files.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kdane4 View Post
    1. There should be an "add link to torrent" selection if you want to use magnet links. Haven't used Qbittorent in a while but I'm pretty sure of it its there.

2. There should be an selection in options to associate Qbitorrent with magnet links.

3.Im not sure what you mean.. You can use other clients like transmission if you dont want qbittorrent

Its not a naughty subject if you only download legal files.

Hope this helps.
    yeah 3 was a bit of a mess.

I can't find it anywhere to associate qBittorrent with magnet links.

I can add links to qBittorrent but it has to be a file on my system and you can't save magnet links (as far as I'm aware anyway)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

try using ktorrent it best as far as i have used it also has an option for magnet links

Beans
    Hidden!

yeah 3 was a bit of a mess.

I can't find it anywhere to associate qBittorrent with magnet links.

I can add links to qBittorrent but it has to be a file on my system and you can't save magnet links (as far as I'm aware anyway)
    I thought it was in options, in file associations. I dont have Qbittorent anymore so I don't know exactly where it is. Maybe Illl try to install

Thats correct, you cant save magnet files coz it only copies text to your torrent client for use as download.

If you right click the magnet link then select "copy link address" (for chromium anyway) you can use that to open magnet links if you paste that to the "add link to torrent" option in your torrent client.

EDIT; installed it in *******, (cant access my ubuntu because of a problem, but thats another story, lol) , its in tools, options, behavior. not sure if its the same interface as linux version though.
    Last edited by kdane4; March 22nd, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kdane4 View Post
    I thought it was in options, in file associations. I dont have Qbittorent anymore so I don't know exactly where it is. Maybe Illl try to install

Thats correct, you cant save magnet files coz it only copies text to your torrent client for use as download.

If you right click the magnet link then select "copy link address" (for chromium anyway) you can use that to open magnet links if you paste that to the "add link to torrent" option in your torrent client.

EDIT; installed it in *******, (cant access my ubuntu because of a problem, but thats another story, lol) , its in tools, options, behavior. not sure if its the same interface as linux version though.
    Thank you for your help, you were sort of right but I'm going to put what I did to get QBittorrent to open magnet files:

1) right click a magnet link and click open link in new tab
    2) go to the tab and copy the URL of the page.
    3) go to QBitorrent and go to file>add link to torrent. If it's not already there paste the URL into that box
    4) click download

Thanks for helping

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you for your help, you were sort of right but I'm going to put what I did to get QBittorrent to open magnet files:

3) go to QBitorrent and go to file>add link to torrent. If it's not already there paste the URL into that box
    4) click download

Thanks for helping
    Hi,

Thanks for the info and glad to hear you got it working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

if you have got it perfectly woking please mark this thread as SOLVED from the "thread tools"

Beans

4) click download

Thanks for helping
    You don't say which browser you're using, if it's Firefox you can automate all the above and replace with 1-click downloading by having magnet files associated with your torrent client (assuming QTorrent recognises magnet files, but I believe all modern clients do.) To do that, go into Firefox preferences, select the Applications tab, scroll down to 'magnet' and select your torrent client.