Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: ubuntu doesn't start when enter the password

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    4

    ubuntu doesn't start when enter the password

    Hi

    i have a problem with ubuntu 11.10
    it happen when ubuntu ask me about the password of my username
    i type the password correctly, and a black screen apear for seconds and gone
    and return me to the password and username ask

    i can'y even enter the "guest session" because of the same problem
    i tried to reset and change the pass in Recovery mode, but it didn't work too
    please help me, i really don't want to install ubuntu and all applications again

    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oblivion
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: ubuntu doesn't start when enter the password

    Have you done any updates, added new drivers or apps recently?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    4

    Re: ubuntu doesn't start when enter the password

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Have you done any updates, added new drivers or apps recently?
    thank you for you response
    yes, i installed an updated ClamAV and scanned ubuntu with it
    and i did a stupid thing in terminal wich removed "Restart" & "Shutdown" icons before this problem happened
    but i don't remember what i did in terminal
    anyway, i restarted the system with "sudo reboot" and then get this problem

    Note: im using ubuntu and windows 7 on the same computer

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oblivion
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: ubuntu doesn't start when enter the password

    Yea, ClamAV seems to be causing a few problems not unlike this for some people I've noticed recently. You might want to dig there. That may be preventing the login or may have changed something. You might also want to try changing the password and trying that.

    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

    The dual-boot with Windows would probably have nothing to do with your problem but thanks for adding that info.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    4

    Re: ubuntu doesn't start when enter the password

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Yea, ClamAV seems to be causing a few problems not unlike this for some people I've noticed recently. You might want to dig there. That may be preventing the login or may have changed something. You might also want to try changing the password and trying that.

    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

    The dual-boot with Windows would probably have nothing to do with your problem but thanks for adding that info.
    actually i did this more than one time, but it still not working

    is there anyway to save my applicatins that installed in ubuntu so i can make them back when i install it again?
    by the way i have another question has nothing to do with this problem

    is the dualbooting a bad thing? and (if it is) why?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    7

    Re: ubuntu doesn't start when enter the password

    Quote Originally Posted by active3 View Post
    actually i did this more than one time, but it still not working

    is there anyway to save my applicatins that installed in ubuntu so i can make them back when i install it again?
    by the way i have another question has nothing to do with this problem

    is the dualbooting a bad thing? and (if it is) why?
    @active3, first I would say you can probably fix this without having to reinstall your distro. But if you can't, all of the debs (at least on my kubuntu install) for any updates or other programs you have installed should be located in /var/cache/apt/archives/ (unless you have flushed your cache) and you can copy all of those to an external HDD to restore when you reinstall Ubuntu by navigating to the drive/directory in terminal and executing the command:

    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    As for the dual booting, I wouldn't say it is a bad thing. There are some times that you need to run another OS for a specific program. The only issue that I have seen with dual booting is when a user unknowingly mounts the other partition and starts messing around with the file system. There are ways to prevent that, but if it just you using the computer, it shouldn't be an issue (just don't do it).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    4

    Re: ubuntu doesn't start when enter the password

    Quote Originally Posted by drakemata View Post
    @active3, first I would say you can probably fix this without having to reinstall your distro. But if you can't, all of the debs (at least on my kubuntu install) for any updates or other programs you have installed should be located in /var/cache/apt/archives/ (unless you have flushed your cache) and you can copy all of those to an external HDD to restore when you reinstall Ubuntu by navigating to the drive/directory in terminal and executing the command:

    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    As for the dual booting, I wouldn't say it is a bad thing. There are some times that you need to run another OS for a specific program. The only issue that I have seen with dual booting is when a user unknowingly mounts the other partition and starts messing around with the file system. There are ways to prevent that, but if it just you using the computer, it shouldn't be an issue (just don't do it).
    i tried to copy the archives folder, by typing this:
    Code:
    cp -r /var/cache/apt/archives /media/6014DB2514DAFD4A
    "6014DB2514DAFD4A" is "D" Drive
    and entered windows 7 to see if its working but it didn't
    if i could remove the user and password asking (or someting like that ) i think that the problem will be solved
    but is there anyway to do this ?

    thanks about the dualboot answer
    Last edited by active3; March 21st, 2012 at 11:00 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oblivion
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: ubuntu doesn't start when enter the password

    Dual-boot not an issue. I have no ideas on the original problem but I don't doubt there is a fix somewhere. Perhaps keep digging for awhile; reinstall considered last resort.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wasteland, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: ubuntu doesn't start when enter the password

    If you think ClamAV might be an causing some problems, just remove it for the time being. Start in recovery mode and go to root cli.

    Code:
     apt-get purge *clamav*
    you can also reset your password, just in case that helps.

    Code:
    ls /home
    should return a list which verifies your username.

    Code:
    passwd username
    where username is replaced with your username
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    7

    Re: ubuntu doesn't start when enter the password

    Quote Originally Posted by active3 View Post
    i tried to copy the archives folder, by typing this:
    Code:
    cp -r /var/cache/apt/archives /media/6014DB2514DAFD4A
    I am pretty sure the reason this didn't work is because when you specified
    Code:
    /media/6014DB2514DAFD4A
    you were basically trying to copy to the root of that partition. Try making a new directory first to backup your debs.
    Code:
    mkdir /media/6014DB2514DAFD4A/path/to/new/folder/
    I also have to agree with dave2001, that you should just remove ClamAV because that seems to be the root of all of your problems and that reinstalling your distro should be considered your last resort. Good luck.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •