Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Running a Tascam US-122 in Dapper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: HOWTO: Running a Tascam US-122 in Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by passonno View Post
    For the sake of argument, let's say that my computer is up and the us122 is running with the udev rule set, when it is plugged in, it will always get put on /proc/bus/usb/003/002, then is iterated to 003/003 with the fxload command. However, if I then unplug it, then plug it back in, it for some reason gets put at 003/004, thus making my alias for fxload useless, unless I reboot, then the udev rule goes back into effect.

Does that make sense?
    This is the only thing that's keeping me from updating the thread with the udev instructions. If that's the case, it's the same situation I had without messing with udev rules.

I'm not seeing this at all. Can anybody else verify that this is happening? Not that I don't believe you. Just need to figure out why it's happening to some and not others.
    In his later years, Oofty Goofty used to like to sit on the front porch of the General Store and
    reminisce about the time he let the late, great John L. Sullivan hit him with a billiard cue.

Beans

I think I know what you are saying passonno but if you look at the code below it does not use the bus or device number it just looks for a device with idProduct 8006 and a idVendor of 1604. Could you check that this is the case by looking at the last two numbers that come after ID for the TASCAM when you type lsusb (before you load any firmware etc)?

Code:
    BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8006", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/sbin/fxload -D %N -s /home/martin/usx2y-fw-0.1b/ld2-ezusb.hex -I /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader/us122fw.ihx'"
    BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8007", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/usx2yloader'"
    Last edited by martintfd; July 21st, 2006 at 04:00 PM.

Beans

Here you go:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1604:8006 Tascam US-122 Audio/Midi Interface (without fw)

Beans

Ok this is good, so when you add the udev rules file what should happen is the device will get spotted when it's plugged in and the firmware should be loaded. When this is done the idProduct will change from 8006 to 8007 and the second rule will kick in and run usx2yloader. There shouldn't be any need to specify the bus or device number and it should all happen automatically.

You could try just adding just the first rule to check if that works ok. Then if the idProduct changes correctly when it's plugged in add the second rule and let me know if you get any errors...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Has any one gotten jack to work with the us-122? If yes, can you post your Jack Audio Connection Kit settings? I can get sound in Ardour, but it's super slow motion sound. I can't get it to playabck properly.

BTW, I appreciate this howto.

Thanks,
    -BT
    Lenovo s10 Netbook: Jaunty
    Desktop: Jaunty amd64

Beans
    Distro

I'm really hoping someone can help me out here. I had my us-122 working perfectly last weeek after following the info posted in this thread. Fastforward a week and I've had to reformat my machine...

Unfortunately now I cannot get the us-122 to work. Doing the lsusb does show the device exists. The fxload command goes through, but the us-122 doesn't light up like it used to. Doing sudo usx2yloader always resulted in an error, even when the card worked. The tascam card does show up in the system->preferences->sound and it sticks when I select it, but I get no sound and amarok says there's problems with the alsa xine engine. The tascam does not show up in the gnome volume applet. When I had the card working it did show up there.

I have a feeling there's a package I need to install that I previously had, I just have no idea what it is. Any suggestions?

TIA,
    -BT

Beans

Hi,

I did not follow the entire thread, but I got mine working flawless with:
    Code:
    BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8006", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/sbin/fxload -D %N -s /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader/tascam_loader.ihx -I /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader/us122fw.ihx'"
    BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8007", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/usx2yloader'"

Beans
    Distro

Hulst, can you explain your code a little further? I don't know how to execute that code. The first thread basically outlines what I've done to this point.

Beans

Put the lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/55-tascam.rules and your set to go.

Beans
    Distro

Hulst,
    Thank you so much!!! My us-122 works amazing now. It works perfectly on boot so I don't have to type any commands to get it working and the leds work correctly now. Before, when I did have it working, I had sound but the leds were problematic and typing the command everytime was a pain.

I had nearly lost all hope, thanks again. You made my week.

-BT
    Last edited by BIGtrouble77; August 13th, 2006 at 09:30 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast