Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sync files in two different folders? (windows --> ubuntu)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Sync files in two different folders? (windows --> ubuntu)

Quote Originally Posted by muteXe View Post
    You could always use something like dropbox?
    Read my first post No, i cant, my folders are all together WAY to big for the 2 and 5 GB limit :/ I tried the file-sync-program, and it worked perfectly!

Thanks for the help guys, But is it possible to get this program to do its tasks automatically? Like, in the background? I know, in windows you can create a batch-file, and add it to tasks. But what about ubuntu?

Thanks!
    Ubuntu since 6.04 <3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu since 6.04 <3

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by airplanesimen View Post
    Thanks for the help guys, But is it possible to get this program to do its tasks automatically? Like, in the background? I know, in windows you can create a batch-file, and add it to tasks. But what about ubuntu?
    Read this document: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Very BAD idea -- if the Windows version is 7 and the folders are in the OS partition, which typically they are if they are under users ...

Writing to folders and files inside a mounted Win7 OS partition has been known to result in data corruption and resulting inability to boot Win7.

Much better approach is to have a shared data partition. That doesn't have to BOOT, so there is no problem writing to it.
    DataDisk (drive d: is a shared data partition (i.e. it's not the OS drive c:.) However, my main reason for doing this is to make it easy to backup all of my data independently from the OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I know this post is irrelevant and useless to you now, but...
    Symbolic link, arent they the same as shortcuts?
    Not really. Symbolic links are handled by the file system itself. Shortcuts are defined by the softwares that uses it (like .lnk files for Windows Explorer, .desktop files for Linux, etc) A file browser when enters a symbolic links will see it like just another folder, regardless if the browser is aware that it is a symbolic link or not. In contrast, entering a shortcut will "teleport" the browser to the specified folder.

For example, you have a folder named foobar in /media/LOL, and you have a symbolic link to it named foobar2 in your home folder.
    So we have the original folder /media/LOL/foobar and the symlink /home/foobar2.
    When you enter the foobar2 folder, you will see it as just another folder, nothing strange or weird. The file browser will tell you that you are in /home/foobar2, though in fact you are in /media/LOL/foobar. You put a file named lol.txt into foobar2 and it will automatically show up in foobar. So you can treat foobar2 as a folder and drag-and-drop files into it, something you obviously can't do with shortcuts.

Of course, the symlink method is easier, but that means you must keep the original folder foobar intact. If you prefer to keep two copies of a file in two places at once, stick to your plan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    I know this post is irrelevant and useless to you now, but...

Not really. Symbolic links are handled by the file system itself. Shortcuts are defined by the softwares that uses it (like .lnk files for Windows Explorer, .desktop files for Linux, etc) A file browser when enters a symbolic links will see it like just another folder, regardless if the browser is aware that it is a symbolic link or not. In contrast, entering a shortcut will "teleport" the browser to the specified folder.

For example, you have a folder named foobar in /media/LOL, and you have a symbolic link to it named foobar2 in your home folder.
    So we have the original folder /media/LOL/foobar and the symlink /home/foobar2.
    When you enter the foobar2 folder, you will see it as just another folder, nothing strange or weird. The file browser will tell you that you are in /home/foobar2, though in fact you are in /media/LOL/foobar. You put a file named lol.txt into foobar2 and it will automatically show up in foobar. So you can treat foobar2 as a folder and drag-and-drop files into it, something you obviously can't do with shortcuts.

Of course, the symlink method is easier, but that means you must keep the original folder foobar intact. If you prefer to keep two copies of a file in two places at once, stick to your plan
    Okay, thanks for the very detailed explanation, so, can you maybe show me how to do this? Sounds much easier to have symbolic links instead of a lot of programs xD Thanks! and i think it was perfect timing to post it here! i have some problems using the software, so lets use symbolic links is the "-s" for symbolic links?
    Last edited by airplanesimen; March 23rd, 2012 at 06:33 AM.
    Ubuntu since 6.04 <3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Okay, thanks for the very detailed explanation, so, can you maybe show me how to do this? Sounds much easier to have symbolic links instead of a lot of programs xD Thanks! and i think it was perfect timing to post it here! i have some problems using the software, so lets use symbolic links is the "-s" for symbolic links?
    Code:
    ln -s /source/folder /link/location/linkname
    In your case, replace /source/folder with the user folder on Windows, and /link/location/linkname with the name of the link in your home folder.
    And yes, the -s flag is for symbolic links. Without the flag, it will create a hard link, which
    1. Can only link to files, not folder.
    2. Can only link to files of the same partition.

If you want to know what hard links are, feel free to ask.
    Last edited by zombifier25; March 23rd, 2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Mistake thar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Code:
    ln -s /source/folder /link/location/linkname
    In your case, replace /source/folder with the user folder on Windows, and /link/location/linkname with the name of the link in your home folder.
    And yes, the -s flag is for symbolic links. Without the flag, it will create a hard link, which
    1. Can only link to files, not folder.
    2. Can only link to files of the same partition.

If you want to know what hard links are, feel free to ask.
    I guess i know what hard links are then, maybe the same as if you right-click on the file, and selects "create link" or "create shortcut"? But i am getting used to the Symbolic links now, noone told me before, so thanks a lot!
    Ubuntu since 6.04 <3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12