Thread: Installing a 64-bit variant on a 32-bt Windows system using Wubi.

Beans

Question Installing a 64-bit variant on a 32-bt Windows system using Wubi.

Hi,

I am using a Windows XP Professional (32-bit) system and since that system is capable of running 64-bit OS's, I was wondering whether it would be ok to download a 64-bit Ubuntu variant and install it using Wubi. Does Wubi come in 32-bit and 64-bit versions too? Does the existing Windows OS have to be 64-bit too for a 64-bit variant to be able to get installed using Wubi?

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Installing a 64-bit variant on a 32-bt Windows system using Wubi.

You can install a 64bit variant of Ubuntu using Wubi, I don't believe the windows OS's 32 bit architecture will have any bearing on your wubi install. although i would suggest downloading the 64 bit .iso and installing from a live cd instead.

heres a link that can provide further info on 64bit installations using Wubi https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Installing a 64-bit variant on a 32-bt Windows system using Wubi.

Just to add to what miasmablk said... wubi.exe will default to the 64bit version of Ubuntu if your computer is 64bit (regardless of whether you're running 32bit windows).

You can also force a 32bit install by downloading the 32bit iso or by running wubi.exe with the --32bit option.

Wubi.exe (the installer) is 32bit, but the Ubuntu it installs can be either 32bit or 64bit as it boots independently (therefore not dependent on Windows, just the computer arch).